Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)

Barlow

He,Him,Nigguh
Daps
Which reaper? You mean the reaper persona that rides a horse? Because I’ve had that one for a while. My highest level personas are that reaper (I don’t remember if that’s what they call him in the game), baphomet and Dionysus.
Nah. It’s a mementos special mini boss. They tell you about it early on that if you stay on one level of mementos too long you’ll start hearing chains and the reaper will come for you.

forgot you also want to get hifuni to level 9 so you can escape instantly

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I'd suggest playing Persona 4 Golden if possible first.

I don't know if I would consider Persona 5 a good entry point to the series. Persona 5 is really for the hardcore series fan. It's a excessively long game. It doesn't really do anything amazing with that length. This is the kinda game a casual series fan would pick up and play for less than half the full length of the game and probably end up putting it down and never returning to it. The game is easily 120+ hours on a normal playthrough. That's a huge investment for someone not sold on what they're getting into.

Of the modern games in the series 3, 4, and 5 I'd say 5 is my least favorite. It was one of those games that when I beat it I thought "ya know I really enjoyed my time with this overall but I don't know if I'll ever play this again."

Lastly and this is completely subjective but I didn't like the direction the plot went in. I especially disliked the direction it went in for the final dungeon. I feel like the game was way better when it wasn't trying so hard to be so provocative in terms of social commentary. When it was just the phantom thieves stealing hearts it was a better game but then it became about something more and suffered for it.

I completely agree with this, if you want a start into the Persona series get Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 Golden. Persona 5 expects you to already kind of know what you are doing, Royal does a lot to help make it a more streamlined experience, but Persona 5 Vanilla was a GRIND and you really don't get a lot of time to learn how to do anything. Once you get into it though and figure it out Persona 5 is :wow:.

AyyyLmao

All Star
Daps
I completely agree with this, if you want a start into the Persona series get Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 Golden. Persona 5 expects you to already kind of know what you are doing, Royal does a lot to help make it a more streamlined experience, but Persona 5 Vanilla was a GRIND and you really don't get a lot of time to learn how to do anything. Once you get into it though and figure it out Persona 5 is :wow:.

I don't think I agree with that at all. If anything, Persona 5 is the perfect game for newcomers. It's far kinder to newer players than P4G and P3 are. I played P5 first, and while it definitely took me a while to get used to it, I was eventually set after finishing Madarame's palace. P4G and P3 were far more brutal, in my opinion. Even after platinuming P5 and getting used to the style of play and getting better at the mechanics and combat, I found P4G to be harder than my first time playing P5. The enemies were harder to hit and get an ambush on (there's no stealth in P4G like there is in P5) and it took a far longer time to grind levels and money. P3 is even worse with the whole fatigue system and not being able to control your party members.

Superkick Party

Atlus / Ryū ga Gotoku
Daps
Reppin
Hub City
I don't think I agree with that at all. If anything, Persona 5 is the perfect game for newcomers. It's far kinder to newer players than P4G and P3 are. I played P5 first, and while it definitely took me a while to get used to it, I was eventually set after finishing Madarame's palace. P4G and P3 were far more brutal, in my opinion. Even after platinuming P5 and getting used to the style of play and getting better at the mechanics and combat, I found P4G to be harder than my first time playing P5. The enemies were harder to hit and get an ambush on (there's no stealth in P4G like there is in P5) and it took a far longer time to grind levels and money. P3 is even worse with the whole fatigue system and not being able to control your party members.
Agreed P5 was my first persona game and it was the perfect amount of difficulty without being too challenging but also super easy to understand gameplay wise.

I've been playing P3 FES recently and I love it so far but I'd have dropped the series if I started with it, games hard as hell and def was meant for SMT vets.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Started playing this from ps5 collection

I'm only a few hours in but does it open up, feels like I'm watching an interactive anime...I like the story and cutscenes so far but there has been very little gameplay in 3 hours

And wats good with persona royal? Should I play that instead and cop it from the ps store? Is it that much different or is it a sequel?

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset

I'm only a few hours in but does it open up, feels like I'm watching an interactive anime...I like the story and cutscenes so far but there has been very little gameplay in 3 hours

And wats good with persona royal? Should I play that instead and cop it from the ps store? Is it that much different or is it a sequel?
it does get to the point where theres a balance of gameplay and story but the opening is drawn out

royal is like an updated version of the game with additional characters and shyt. i cant tell you much more because i havent played it

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Persona pretty much is an interactive anime. It gets better in quality as more people join but at it's core it will always be that. 3/5 interactive anime / visual novel 2/5 dungeon crawler.

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
Playing through Persona 4 Golden (first persona game outside of Arena) right now but it would be fukking awesome if this came to steam some day

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Playing through Persona 4 Golden (first persona game outside of Arena) right now but it would be fukking awesome if this came to steam some day
I'd love to see Golden on the PS4 or PS5. I have no doubt that eventually Persona 5 will end up on PC.

AyyyLmao

All Star
Daps

There is no reason to play the original over Royal. It's the same game with added content.

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
So currently looking for games to buy, and this seems to be a very well-liked RPG from what I’ve been reading. The only thing tho, I’m looking at gameplay videos and I literally have no idea what’s going on. One of the videos was 3 hours and from what I saw, the character is just walking around. Could someone kind of explain what this game is or what you do?

RPG is my favorite genre of game, btw.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
So currently looking for games to buy, and this seems to be a very well-liked RPG from what I’ve been reading. The only thing tho, I’m looking at gameplay videos and I literally have no idea what’s going on. One of the videos was 3 hours and from what I saw, the character is just walking around. Could someone kind of explain what this game is or what you do?

RPG is my favorite genre of game, btw.
If you like turned based JRPG’s then it’s a must buy imo.