Parasite (2019 Palme d'Or winner and The Film Room top movie of the year) - directed by Bong Joon-ho

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This was pretty damn good. Great characters, spellbinding plot with lots of unexpected turns, excellent commentary on class and what it can turn people into, and a nice mix of dark comedy and drama. There was a constant under current of tension that kept building up nicely. Really well played. I did have some issues with the narrative choices of the writer/director. I honestly think that
it would have been better if the son had died from the head injury. I understand the point of keeping him alive, and having a plan and a dream. It's a nice bookend and nod to the father's speech about plans and a great commentary about class and the dreams of pulling family out of situations once we make it, but I would have loved a dark ending with a dead son and a dad on the run too. That would have made an interesting message of its own. Also, I just felt it would have been more believable after that kind of blunt head trauma. I also thought that the morse code letter was a bit far-fetched, but it didn't ruin the story for me.

I love how the father sniffing while picking up the keys is what made the other dad snap.

Overall, I'd give this a 9 out of 10. One of the best movies I've seen all year.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
This movie was amazing. The ending made complete sense. No matter how much you try to get over in this society, you never truly win. The winners are already decided and theyre changing the rules as you play. Its very similar to Joker

But also that no one is a winner really. There's some sort of message here about wealthy hosts getting sick by the system they've created of reducing the people they employ to parasites in order to survive.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
This is a stunning, tour de force masterpiece of a film, it is one where everything works, from the themes, set design, (the house was gorgeous) to the cinematography, to the acting, it was funny, it was devastating in the same few frames. The acting, from the amiable smugness of Mr. Park, the elitist charm of Mrs. Park, the heavy dignity of a breaking man in Kim, his brilliant children, and the cynical mother. The movie has the sharpness and depths as the knifes plunged into flesh late in the movies, funny, tragic, bloody climax.

The litter strewn slums, and the indignity of the basement apartment, the toilet spewing sewage, as the sister sits in defiance, smoking a cigarette, the elegance of the casual party on the lawn, shattered by the violence of revenge, bloodlust, resentment, the movies scenes are as haunting and tense, as anything I have ever seen. You can say the conclusion stretches, but I took it all as fantasy, the sheer impossibility of class mobility shown in a few scenes, of morse code and a child's dream to help his father.

I loved the meta aspect of everything, and there were things I probably didn't even catch. The "smell" of poverty, and the unspilled coffee cup as Mr. Park tests Kim's driving skills. I loved when Kevin was staring down at the elegant little afternoon party, the banality of wealth and privilege, in something that was "no big deal" to them, and says "Do I fit in", after remarking how relaxed and perfect everyone seems. I spend A LOT of time in that world myself, as more or less an equal of sorts, but I always wonder, if secretly, I don't really fit in there, nor in the more lower class areas that I was raised around. It a brilliant movie, I cannot even imagine seeing in Cannes at the festival, nor the sheer cruel irony of that in itself.

Last edited:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
You can see the conclusion stretches, but I took it all as fantasy, the sheer impossibility of class mobility shown in a few scenes, of morse code and a child's dream to help his father.

Holy shyt, it never occurred to me that the whole ending was a dream. I like that so much better. Yes, I accept this head canon.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Holy shyt, it never occurred to me that the whole ending was a dream. I like that so much better. Yes, I accept this head canon.

I'm fairly sure that it was the directors intent, but open to another line of thinking

(spoilers)

I'm doing laundry and errands today, and the thought of having all of that taken care of by staff is so appealing at times, when you are having to buy detergent, or all the other mundane, grating, facilitating activities, that are alleviated by the privilege of a full time staff. I have a one bedroom, and I think about having a maid, so many people I know have them, but I can't. I just don't want to have that kind of relationship with a person. The seamlessness of life, that allows a pristine house at all times, as the default mode, and food cooked on command.

Then, the very real emotional and physical labor sacrificed, because I hate putting sheets on my bed. And, that isn't even touching the political themes of inequality, and the economic disparities fueling it. Those scenes of the two oppressed families, violently, pulling, pushing, punching, throwing one another, for the illusion of comfort afforded by the Parks, should have been too on the nose, but the acting, the tight script, and character development helped anchor it. The joy and gratitude they felt towards the employers, turning into a frenzied murderous rage. The symbolism of the poor trapped in a hidden panic room, that is not known to the owners, because of the shame the previous owner had, the non acknowledgment of the poor, the great shame of the wealthy, is that they want to not see the poor, which is a quote from someone.

Last edited: