Parasite (2019 Palme d'Or winner and The Film Room top movie of the year) - directed by Bong Joon-ho

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
they could probably make a really interesting movie with different asian ethnicities in america. like have a rich japanese or chinese family and a poor vietnamese one? or something where you have a rich korean-american family thats been in the country a while and a more recent immigrant family that isnt wealthy? OR like a chinese family thats been in the US a while but is still poor, and a more recent immigrant family that made a bunch of money in china during dengs open door policy?

although that could probably open up floodgates for controversy and online bickering

That's a potential political minefield man.

Things are tense between Japan/China/Vietnam. And I honestly have no idea how South Korea views any of them.

So if you change it to rich Japanese, poor Chinese...that's a problem. Or any variation of the groups I listed.

If you change it to 100% let's say....Japanese....then you might as well leave it as 100% Korean. Never mind the fact that you still gotta deal with, is it subtitled or not? And if the answer is "yes"....then again, you might as well leave it Korean. If the answer is no, then you might as well Americanize it.

There was a UK show a few years ago called "Utopia". Had a GOAT level first season. 2nd season was dope too. It got cancelled. Amazon is remaking it, and John Cusack is gonna be in it. My point is, that shyt was already in English. And they're remaking it with an American cast, anyway. So this was never gonna be like the movie.

Fred.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
That's a potential political minefield man.

Things are tense between Japan/China/Vietnam. And I honestly have no idea how South Korea views any of them.

So if you change it to rich Japanese, poor Chinese...that's a problem. Or any variation of the groups I listed.

If you change it to 100% let's say....Japanese....then you might as well leave it as 100% Korean. Never mind the fact that you still gotta deal with, is it subtitled or not? And if the answer is "yes"....then again, you might as well leave it Korean. If the answer is no, then you might as well Americanize it.

There was a UK show a few years ago called "Utopia". Had a GOAT level first season. 2nd season was dope too. It got cancelled. Amazon is remaking it, and John Cusack is gonna be in it. My point is, that shyt was already in English. And they're remaking it with an American cast, anyway. So this was never gonna be like the movie.

Fred.
i meant the diasporic groups in the US. so they would still speak English (maybe some of the native languages thrown in).

one of my friends who is lebanese said the thing he related to the most in Parasite was the use of English language to denote class. In Lebanon being able to speak French or English is has those kinds of implications as well, and just like in Parasite people will do it to show their class status. so some stuff like that won't translate if the movie is in English

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i meant the diasporic groups in the US. so they would still speak English (maybe some of the native languages thrown in).

one of my friends who is lebanese said the thing he related to the most in Parasite was the use of English language to denote class. In Lebanon being able to speak French or English is has those kinds of implications as well, and just like in Parasite people will do it to show their class status. so some stuff like that won't translate if the movie is in English

Nah I know what you mean but (presumably) the series is going to be shown world wide. And Hollywood already edits the fukk out of movies to cater to various markets over seas. So if you change it to another Asian race, South Koreans will probably ask why? If you mix and match racial groups, then you run the risk of pissing someone off in another market.

I'm sure South Korea is already gonna be pissed off at the American remake, anyway, as they should be.

Fred.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
You can buy this for like 10 bucks on the play store. I don't usually buy movies digital but it's a pretty good deal considering the blu ray is 20 on Amazon. :ld:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
the only one even close is no country for old men
i can see people arguing for that, mayyyybe Return of the King or Gladiator. I don't think anything in this decade flies to be honest. No one is caping for Argo and the Artist. I'll admit, I haven't seen Moonlight or Green Book, but i doubt they're better. Someone might argue Moonlight from what i can tell, so i can't really argue that.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
i can see people arguing for that, mayyyyve Return of the King or Gladiator. I don't think anything in this decade flies to be honest. No one is caping for Argo and the Artist. I'll admit, I haven't seen Moonlight or Green Book, but i doubt they're better. Someone might argue Moonlight from what i can tell, so i can't really argue that.
Moonlight was my second favorite best picture from this decade despite the :dame: content. Still not fukking with Parasite. havent seen Green Book either but no way is that one better :mjlol: imma just dismiss that one out of hand.

i wonder what people would say their favorite films of the millenium are. like if they had to combine their favorites from the last decade and this, i wonder how theyd rank them. id probably have a lot more movies from the first decade represented

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I need to think about what the best movie of the decade was. If you start factoring in foreign movies it's even harder to decide.

Fred.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
I’m going to rent it on Prime Video today and I feel it isn’t going to be that big of a deal.
I watched it earlier, its a good entertaining popcorn flick but as I suspected, its being over-hyped due to the tokenism theme of this years Oscars...

I expect at least one iconic memorable scene from a film that wins big at the Oscars and this films falls well short of that...

There isn't a single scene in this movie as iconic as Joker dancing down that stairway...

My 2 cents...:yeshrug:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Moonlight was my second favorite best picture from this decade despite the :dame: content. Still not fukking with Parasite. havent seen Green Book either but no way is that one better :mjlol: imma just dismiss that one out of hand.

i wonder what people would say their favorite films of the millenium are. like if they had to combine their favorites from the last decade and this, i wonder how theyd rank them. id probably have a lot more movies from the first decade represented
I'm incapable of making those kind of lists, and i've only seen Parasite once, so maybe I'm being hyperbolic, but i think it would be in my top 20 since 2000. I obviously like a lot of movies that aren't Oscar fare. shyt, my favorite movie since 2000, and possibly all time, is probably Hot Fuzz. I'd have Thor: Ragnarok in the top 10.

• Dap
Reactions: 19-