Parasite (2019 Palme d'Or winner and The Film Room top movie of the year) - directed by Bong Joon-ho

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Considering that I caught a lot of new stuff on second watch and still tons of small details on the third, I would say it has tons of replay value actually.:jbhmm:

For you mayeb it does. To me, seems like coli hyping up yet another decent movie.

I legit have no reason to watch it again. It wasnt that great or entertaining

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
OK, I know Bong Joon-Ho reached out to him, but he better move carefully here. Mark Ruffalo is like the whitest white man lol

There was virtually no chance they were going to do a big budget HBO series version of the movie with a foreign cast. I get that the movie just won Best Picture but let's not get crazy now.

I assume this will be an Americanized (IE, mostly white) version of the same story. Not saying it's right but I can't say I'm surprised, at all. :yeshrug:

Fred.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
There was virtually no chance they were going to do a big budget HBO series version of the movie with a foreign cast. I get that the movie just won Best Picture but let's not get crazy now.

I assume this will be an Americanized (IE, mostly white) version of the same story. Not saying it's right but I can't say I'm surprised, at all. :yeshrug:

Fred.

10 years ago I would have agreed with you. But we're living in a post-Crazy Rich Asians and Black Panther era. Parasite has made more money domestically than a lot of white led indie movies. Whitewashing it now doesn't make sense to me.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
10 years ago I would have agreed with you. But we're living in a post-Crazy Rich Asians and Black Panther era. Parasite has made more money domestically than a lot of white led indie movies. Whitewashing it now doesn't make sense to me.

Both of the movies you named were in English though.

If they go with a foreign cast, they gotta make it in Korean with subtitles. If they make it Korean but in English then it defeats the purpose. So they either had to go all in with a foreign cast speaking their native language....or go the safe route.

Fred.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
OK, I know Bong Joon-Ho reached out to him, but he better move carefully here. Mark Ruffalo is like the whitest white man lol

:picard:

HBO-logo.jpg

images

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
This ain't just the best film I've seen this year, it's the best film I seen in a long time.

As I said before, not many directors can pull something like this off so seamlessly.

It's basically a dark comedy, very well done but once it combines all the sociopolitical elements and drama it takes it to a level that most films will never reach..

It's a damn masterpiece :wow:

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
Both of the movies you named were in English though.

If they go with a foreign cast, they gotta make it in Korean with subtitles. If they make it Korean but in English then it defeats the purpose. So they either had to go all in with a foreign cast speaking their native language....or go the safe route.

Fred.
they could probably make a really interesting movie with different asian ethnicities in america. like have a rich japanese or chinese family and a poor vietnamese one? or something where you have a rich korean-american family thats been in the country a while and a more recent immigrant family that isnt wealthy? OR like a chinese family thats been in the US a while but is still poor, and a more recent immigrant family that made a bunch of money in china during dengs open door policy?

although that could probably open up floodgates for controversy and online bickering

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps

Maybe he's playing the rich dad. He doesn't seem like the everyman type

• Dap
Reactions: hex