Paramount Erases Archives of MTV Website, Wipes Music, Culture History After 30 Plus Years

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
THIS IS NO DIFFERENT THAT A LIBRARY. I FEEL LIKE EVERY PERSON SHOULD PAY A TAX OF 2 DOLLARS A YEAR TO FUND STORAGE OF THESE VIDEOS. WHEN CONTENT PROVIDERS WISH TO DEPLATFORM CONTENT, IT SHOULD GO INTO A NATIONAL ARCHIVE WHERE IT CAN BE ACCESSED BY ONLY PEOPLE TO PAY TO SUPPORT IT.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
This is why I download a lot of shyt.

my rule is if I like it, I save it.

I download it, I screenshot it, I mirror it to archive.org.

If I followed a video or tutorial/guide to do ANYTHING, I save it.

I keep all my installers because old versions get deleted, features get removed, new bugs appears or a free software became a commercial product.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Think about this-
A lot of the first blues records were recorded in the early 20’s by black performers all across the south. Many of those records were not kept up, either because of time or neglect, or both.
Fast forward to today and there have been extensive academic studies on The Blues (Angela Davis even wrote a book on the topic), and how the blues talked about relevant issues for that time period. We have some data saved, but imagine how much of more of an informed perspective we could have if more of those artifacts were saved.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Who in the hell was sitting around saying “I really need to get to MTV.com to look up something from 1993”

Regardless of how you feel about MTV It sets a crazy precedent as society is used to most information and journalism being consumed digitally and these giant companies can just Thanos snap decades worth of articles and reports like that.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
my rule is if I like it, I save it.

I download it, I screenshot it, I mirror it to archive.org.

If I followed a video or tutorial/guide to do ANYTHING, I save it.

I keep all my installers because old versions get deleted, features get removed, new bugs appears or a free software became a commercial product.
I started making playlists on YouTube of videos I think are memorable and I am going to mass download one day. I got 8 TB of storage so I can probably download 100,000 hours of shyt if I truly wanted to.

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
Regardless of how you feel about MTV It sets a crazy precedent as society is used to most information and journalism being consumed digitally and these giant companies can just Thanos snap decades worth of articles and reports like that.
It was pop culture journalism. There was nothing ever reported by them that wasn’t reported on by more numerous and more credible sources. Add to that the fact that they were incredibly selective on that they did report on and it’s not as serious as it’s being made out to be. Now if NBC News or CNN did this then yes it would be a major issue but I can assure you no credible journalistic sources are about to use MTV as a model for media preservation.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I started making playlists on YouTube of videos I think are memorable and I am going to mass download one day. I got 8 TB of storage so I can probably download 100,000 hours of shyt if I truly wanted to.

I stopped making playlists on youtube before google bought them because I got tired of videos being deleted and 30+ videos in a curated playlist being pruned to like 10 videos. best decision I ever made reducing my time on that site. I don't log in at all, to like, subscribe or leave a comment on that site. I download youtube videos on a weekly basis though. :mjgrin:

Last edited:

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I stopped using making playlists on youtube before google bought them because I got tired of videos being deleted and 30+ videos in a curated playlist being pruned to like 10 videos. best decision I ever made reducing my time on that site. I don't log in at all, to like, subscribe or leave a comment on that site. I download youtube videos on a weekly basis though. :mjgrin:
Man, I watch (listen) more youtube than anything. Sadly, it's replaced reading for me because it's more convenient. Just the vast amount of knowledge on there is incredible that I can absorb tertiarially. Of course you fact check it, but the amount of real time news and perspectives as well as historical information is incredible.