Overwatch League.. the next step in "e-sports" - $4.5 million tournament winning

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
If u want to attract new viewers who may not even play a certain game, ur gonna want something that easier for them to comprehend. Overwatch is fast and fairly complicated with everything you have to pay attention to. If rocket league was as popular as overwatch itd be the ideal game to showcase like this.

I get your point, but the presentation is so good that, you know at least "The guys in blue are from my team" and you can cheer when the guys in white get Team Killed...it really is that simple.

Only thing more simple to watch would probably be Street Fighter. Literally there's NO games out that are that engaging while still being watchable. Even PUBG can be a slog without the proper shoutcasting.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
9 million viewers in 3 days @Malta @Rekkapryde @Kamikaze Revy

the nba all star game in 2016 had 7.4 million viewers :damn:

put ya kids in esports :damn: the future is here :damn:
I been telling people at work and they don’t want to believe me. Video gaming and posting on social media are going to regular full time jobs with health insurance and some form of retirement package. The ad and sponsorship revenue from these markets is insane.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I been telling people at work and they don’t want to believe me. Video gaming and posting on social media are going to regular full time jobs with health insurance and some form of retirement package. The ad and sponsorship revenue from these markets is insane.
If blizzard makes this season successful even more sponsors, higher salaries, etc will come into play.

What we know so far:
-each player is on a $50-300k base salary
-each player gets health care + retirement plans from Blizzard
-$4.5 million in extra prize winnings (incentives)

What you think this whole thing cost Blizzard? $10-15 million between all costs?

But they released team skins, its $5 per hero skin, to buy an entire team set skin for the heroes its $100. 12 teams ($1200 to own all the team colors).

Not many will spend $1200 or even the $100 but many will buy 1-2 skins to support the team/player.

My guess: theyll make $50 million from the skin sales alone, not including the actual skins already in the game, an addition few million from extra copies the game sells from the buzz of the tournament + the $20 million from sponsors like HP, Jack in the box, etc.

Blizzard boutta make $70-100 million revenue off this 1st season alone probably :wow:

Spend $15 million to make $100 million brehs

Think outside the box brehs

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I'd say League of Legens is more popular but Blizzard put in the work to take e sports to the next level.

I'm still interested if we'll see video games in the Olympics soon. That will probably be the next step.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I'd say League of Legens is more popular but Blizzard put in the work to take e sports to the next level.

I'm still interested if we'll see video games in the Olympics soon. That will probably be the next step.

Im not too sure League of Legends is more popular... its a free2 play game so most PC users know of it.. but Overwatch is the best selling FPS of all time already and goes to xbox, ps4 and PC. I believe the common person knows Overwatch before League of Legends

this shyt about to hit 15-20 million views in 2 weeks :wow: safe to say it has the audience to sustain careers

Even Toyota sponsoring this shyt :pachaha:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Overwatch is big but it still has a long way to go to surpass League of Legends.

I searched it quickly on google and Blizzard says that more than 30 million people have logged into the game last April.:ehh:

Riot says that more than 80 million people play League every month, which is down from 100 million in 2016, last January. :wow:

Links
Overwatch surpasses 30 million players
You'll Never Guess How Many People Play League of Legends

I haven't played either game for awhile but I can appreciate the growing number of people playing and watching video games.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Overwatch is big but it still has a long way to go to surpass League of Legends.

I searched it quickly on google and Blizzard says that more than 30 million people have logged into the game last April.:ehh:

Riot says that more than 80 million people play League every month, which is down from 100 million in 2016, last January. :wow:

Links
Overwatch surpasses 30 million players
You'll Never Guess How Many People Play League of Legends

I haven't played either game for awhile but I can appreciate the growing number of people playing and watching video games.

Free 2 play... those 80 million people may be duplicate people playing on their smurfs (example someone could have 3 different accounts in different placements).. where Overwatch you have to actually buy..

Overwatch is on more plat forms, League is just on PC.. If you walked into a walmart right now and asked 100 employees which they know more , i guarantee OVerwatch is the answer..

Do you think more people know of League of Legends than say World of Warcraft ? :heh:

Daps
Reppin
Hiram Clarke
The test of time will be parity between teams. If certain countries or teams begin to dominate the league there might be a drop in viewership. Like how in LOL you can almost guarantee an all Asian finals.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
The test of time will be parity between teams. If certain countries or teams begin to dominate the league there might be a drop in viewership. Like how in LOL you can almost guarantee an all Asian finals.
Shanghai Dragons getting they shyt tossed up by Florida Mayhem :hubie:

the other chinese team though is in 1st place, but the Americans/Europeans are keeping up

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
CS >>>>

DUqpiKaXcAAPsza.jpg:large