Outkast is better than Mobb Deep - Joe Budden

Iverson_64

Superstar
Daps
This thread reminds me of how underrated Big Boi is.

Big Boi is a highly skilled emcee with an immaculate flow and strong albums that are experimental and showcase his range as an artist.

But people are only acting like it's Andre Vs. Mobb Deep like Big Boi hasn't dropped decent projects and killed features. I think that's why some people have a hard time accepting the idea of Outkast being better.

And saying "Hey Ya" made people care about Outkast is like saying that 8 Mile/Eminem made people care about Mobb Deep. Who cares what White non-rap fans think?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bigger yes...but bigger doesn't mean better, just means more pop success. Mobb Deep in their prime didn't make any cornball "Hey Ya"/"roses smell like poo poo poo" clown shyt to get white ppl to like them.

I like Kast's pre-stankonia stuff, but I think there are several skippable tracks on ATLiens & Aquemini, and Stankonia is vastly overrated. Just not my type of music.

They didn't HAVE TO make those songs to get white people to like them. They already had a #1 smash with "Ms. Jackson". "The Way You Move" was also #1.

Even without the Pop success or crossover appeal, Kast's first three albums were still bigger than the four albums Mobb Deep dropped in the 90's. "Rosa Parks" wasn't even remotely close to a smash hit based on the charts. It peaked at #55 and it was officially released months after the album dropped. That was the most successful single from the album as the other singles didn't chart or charted really low. Still, Aquemini went 2X platinum in 1999, which was Kast's biggest album up to that point. They did that without a huge single.

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
Even though I agree, it’s not a fair comparison. Just because they were both hip hop groups their sounds are too polarizing to compare. Psychedelic, experimental sounds w smooth player content mixed n w some consciousness and a dash of street elements vs pure boom bap quintessential NY grimey raps. Really comes down to one’s preference. Love both though btw start of your ending is a personal favorite

this too...such an odd comparision.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
On a technical level probably but in terms of entertainment I’ll take Mobb Deep easily imo

Catalog is pretty close.. They both have arguably three classics

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Kind of an unwarranted opinion but I'm not mad at it. It's all preference since both groups are so extremely different in approach. I WILL say I fukk wit The Infamous more than any Outkast album. But Outkast has the stronger discography.

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
Joe Budden is better than Method Man though.

KE8lyVn.png

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Aquameni sold what Hell on Earth and The Infamous sold in two weeks.
Receipts?
It debuted at #2 with 227,000 first week. You’re saying it sold 1.1 million in week 2 to catch the 800,000 the Infamous did and the 500,000 HOE did?