Oscar Buzz: ‘Moonlight’: To Be a Black Gay Man in America

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
How often does a movie where black masculinity or sexuality is a main story arc in this way? If there is an agenda, I don't think it's overwhelming in the way some people make it out to be.

Looks like a good movie.

Secondly, if it is an agenda... people who care deeply about Black issues need to take the blueprint and mimic the movements so our agenda is front and center... no?:ld:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Homie this place is hardly progressive as someone pointed out to me a year or two ago. We are when it comes to race which is great but when it comes to women and sexual orientation it's like the Stone Age. I'm not saying it's wrong because everyone is entitled to their opinion and feminism and sexual orientation are hot topics that we all won't agree on but this place gets very very conservative when those topics are brought up. Not everyone but just in general. When this guy killed his baby's mother and his baby no less than 15 min from my house, there were people in the thread actually sticking up for the dude and saying maybe he had a point.
At a place where you saying anything gets you labeled a cac or a c00n being progressive about race isn't something I would say :usure:

dizzy4111

All Star
Daps
I actually expected this thread to be worse than it is. I'm glad there's a decent amount of folks here that are open-minded enough to approach this movie/topic like the nuanced piece of work that it seems to be.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
That trailer revealed so much. :skip:

Gay nikkas exist and their stories should be told too. :manny:

But cac media is always looking for their next "Precious", which was a terrible movie in my opinion with excellent performances.

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
I actually expected this thread to be worse than it is. I'm glad there's a decent amount of folks here that are open-minded enough to approach this movie/topic like the nuanced piece of work that it seems to be.
the reactions are still pretty bad :snoop: and none of them will even watch the movie:martin:

Daps
Even though Armond white is an absolute troll, his review for this movie is actually pretty much the truth. The movie is fraught with stereotypes and essentially is a gay version of Precious. I also hate how critics are reviewing it as "the black experience" and what not. An Abusive mother, drugs and poverty are not the black experience. It is nice to see a story involving two homosexual black men who are not flamboyant, and Andre Holland and Trevante Rhodes are so great together. It is stylized pretty well, but it is not one of those movies that you are going to want to watch more than once due to how heavy it is.