Oscar Buzz: ‘Moonlight’: To Be a Black Gay Man in America

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Even though Armond white is an absolute troll, his review for this movie is actually pretty much the truth. The movie is fraught with stereotypes and essentially is a gay version of Precious. I also hate how critics are reviewing it as "the black experience" and what not. An Abusive mother, drugs and poverty are not the black experience. It is nice to see a story involving two homosexual black men who are not flamboyant, and Andre Holland and Trevante Rhodes are so great together. It is stylized pretty well, but it is not one of those movies that you are going to want to watch more than once due to how heavy it is.

To those that have seen the film, what do you think about the bold? If that is indeed the case, that's very problematic, imho.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Breh who saw it on another forum said at least 5 actors in this movie could legit get a Best Supp. Actor nom. They were that good. :dwillhuh:

Not going to happen, but still. :ohhh:
It could

Each version of Chiron could get nominated. Teenage Chiron was the best tho.

Naomie Harris is a favorite, imo

Maershala's performanve could too

Great another film that emasculates and feminizes the black man :beli:
It doesn't

And you a homophobe

This movie is 5/5

To those that have seen the film, what do you think about the bold? If that is indeed the case, that's very problematic, imho.
It's not even close to that :mjlol:

It reminded me of Boyhood.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
It could

Each version of Chiron could get nominated. Teenage Chiron was the best tho.

Naomie Harris is a favorite, imo

Maershala's performanve could too

This movie is 5/5

I'm seeing some people surprised that Teenage Chiron isn't the one getting the most oscar buzz.

It also appears to be Harris vs. Viola Davis (Fences) for Best Supporting Actress

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even though Armond white is an absolute troll, his review for this movie is actually pretty much the truth. The movie is fraught with stereotypes and essentially is a gay version of Precious. I also hate how critics are reviewing it as "the black experience" and what not. An Abusive mother, drugs and poverty are not the black experience. It is nice to see a story involving two homosexual black men who are not flamboyant, and Andre Holland and Trevante Rhodes are so great together. It is stylized pretty well, but it is not one of those movies that you are going to want to watch more than once due to how heavy it is.
Moonlight: A Plea for Pity for a Black, Gay Statistic

Funny thing is he's gay too :leon: Dont entirely agree but its compelling critique IMO.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
-post my review here too, more people need to see this movie....

I thought it was incredible......So many themes that resonate so much for me personally, though many are universal. It's a wrenching, often heartbreaking, devastating movie, anger, poverty, sexuality, oppression, simmering in the Miami heat of glimmering South Beach and the slums of Liberty City. From the beginning shots, the direction is perfect, the colors, the lighting, the shading, not a single misstep, as it immerses you in a coming of age story, that threatens to turn uglier, even as children play, innocence and pain not yet full known. There is a ugliness lurking below the surface, of childhood innocence and beauty, a world of male sexuality and early experiences, the intimacy of children's play, violence omnipresent as boys learn to be men, in an often unforgiving environment, which shows like few other movies I've seen.

I was in Miami for the first time over the summer, I stayed at a 5 star hotel on Collins, so I could feel the beach sand in the breezy heat, and the slight waves breaking as the sun sets over the stunning clouds, but I also was in Lil Hati, and Liberty City, so I know those neighborhoods, grills and rims on Chevys, abandoned houses and trap spots, people polite and kind, a world a lifetime away from South Beach, representing a horrific inequality, felt as Chiron feels the water for the first time.

But, the heart of 'Moonlight' is it's pure emotional expression, that leaves you deeply wounded, exhilarated, through every scene. The scenes of Juan and Chiron around the dinner table, their casual, but so significant conversations, 'you don't need to be anything now', the way Juan stares as Chiron walks away from the table..... The heartbreak of the cruelty of children, the cruelty of us all at times, the violence behind sexuality. The intimacy of first loves and first times, the hopelessness of romance, the bleakness of childhood, and one's own fate. It's not a gay movie, it's not a straight movie, love, compassion, friendship, sexuality are what the movie is about, (as far as the relationship side, though there is more) though the movie makes clear points about gay men, it's very restrained in it's portraits of sex, which is secondary to intimacy, trust, understanding. When Chiron says his lines at the end, is really what so much of that relationship is about.

I haven't seen a better, more emotionally compelling honest film this year, this is as good as movies get, this is inspiring, painful, brilliant work.

Last edited:

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Meh I want to say this movie was good but it wasn't
the 4 chapters probably should have just been about 2 since there is very little difference between childhood and teens in terms of outlook and issues dealt with

This is not the black experience at all
This is what you'd call the exaggerated black experience

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
-post my review here too, more people need to see this movie....

I thought it was incredible......So many themes that resonate so much for me personally, though many are universal. It's a wrenching, often heartbreaking, devastating movie, anger, poverty, sexuality, oppression, simmering in the Miami heat of glimmering South Beach and the slums of Liberty City. From the beginning shots, the direction is perfect, the colors, the lighting, the shading, not a single misstep, as it immerses you in a coming of age story, that threatens to turn uglier, even as children play, innocence and pain not yet full known. There is a ugliness lurking below the surface, of childhood innocence and beauty, a world of male sexuality and early experiences, the intimacy of children's play, violence omnipresent as boys learn to be men, in an often unforgiving environment, which shows like few other movies I've seen.

I was in Miami for the first time over the summer, I stayed at a 5 star hotel on Collins, so I could feel the beach sand in the breezy heat, and the slight waves breaking as the sun sets over the stunning clouds, but I also was in Lil Hati, and Liberty City, so I know those neighborhoods, grills and rims on Chevys, abandoned houses and trap spots, people polite and kind, a world a lifetime away from South Beach, representing a horrific inequality, felt as Chiron feels the water for the first time.

But, the heart of 'Moonlight' is it's pure emotional expression, that leaves you deeply wounded, exhilarated, through every scene. The scenes of Juan and Chiron around the dinner table, their casual, but so significant conversations, 'you don't need to be anything now', the way Juan stares as Chiron walks away from the table..... The heartbreak of the cruelty of children, the cruelty of us all at times, the violence behind sexuality. The intimacy of first loves and first times, the hopelessness of romance, the bleakness of childhood, and one's own fate. It's not a gay movie, it's not a straight movie, love, compassion, friendship, sexuality are what the movie is about, (as far as the relationship side, though there is more) though the movie makes clear points about gay men, it's very restrained in it's portraits of sex, which is secondary to intimacy, trust, understanding. When Chiron says his lines at the end, is really what so much of that relationship is about.

I haven't seen a better, more emotionally compelling honest film this year, this is as good as movies get, this is inspiring, painful, brilliant work.
Meh I want to say this movie was good but it wasn't
the 4 chapters probably should have just been about 2 since there is very little difference between childhood and teens in terms of outlook and issues dealt with

This is not the black experience at all
This is what you'd call the exaggerated black experience
I finally went to see the movie last night, the cinematography is amazing and the acting was impeccable. I found the movie was dragging toward the end, it also made me realize I'm not as open-minded as I would like to think because that scene where they were smoking on the beach had me mad uncomfortable :dame: but I agree with the previous posts this is not a gay movie and it doesn't redefine masculinity its just showing another side of it without having the stereotypical breh queening out :hubie:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
@Freddie.Cane dudes who made this movie went to Miami Northwestern. One said he played football and was 3rd string RB. The two rbs went to the league. I wonder who they were :patrice:

Filmed the movie at Miramar