Oscar Buzz: ‘Moonlight’: To Be a Black Gay Man in America

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Dope flick. I didn't come away from it thinking it's great but I came away thinking it was really good and deserves the accolades it's getting and hopefully will get. Gorgeous movie with great acting and a lot of subtext as others have mentioned. It's a movie that is clearly a directors movie as every thing about it seems like Barry Jenkins had a say in absolutely everything. Loved the use of orchestra music as each act came to a close, and the portrait slice of life aspect. It is about masculinity in our community but also economics and social norms and what's expected from us as black men. Ending made complete sense as it seemed to be the one time he came to grips with who he was and what he was about.

Acting was great across the board, and again it just looks great. Script was on point as well. Movie has stayed with me for a while

Movie was good, but I wasn't blown away

Did I miss something?

@Gil Scott-Heroin @CHICAGO

From what I hear. As @pickles mentioned earlier. This isn't a movie thats going to stick with you the day of...more or so the days that follow.

People I know who have seen this movie say it gets better the more you think about it over time. Or the 2nd time they see it. :yeshrug:

I still haven't watched it yet. Gotta check out Silence and Manchester By the Sea first.

Last edited:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I was in the 8.5/10 range the first night I saw it.

Saw it again a few days later with my girl and it became my top film of the year, at least a full point to 9.5/10.

The things I saw as flaws the first time around didn't bother me much at all the second time. And I was able to relax and just concentrate on the intricacies instead of worrying about if he was going to get raped or anything like that.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
From what I hear. As @pickles mentioned earlier. This isn't a movie thats going to stick with you the day of...more or so the days that follow.

People I know who have seen this movie say it gets better the more you think about it over time. Or the 2nd time they see it. :yeshrug:

I still haven't watched it yet. Gotta check out Silence and Manchester By the Sea first.
Watched Manchester by the Seas today. Felt it was pretty overrated. One of them movies that film critic snobs fawn over.

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
The third act was funny as shyt to me..nikka went from a soft nikka to a straight up OG that traps..my nikka Algernon even had to say something about it lol
Say bruh... I trust your word...

How much gay content is in this film? I'm tryna judge whether I can watch this film or not

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Dope flick. I didn't come away from it thinking it's great but I came away thinking it was really good and deserves the accolades it's getting and hopefully will get. Gorgeous movie with great acting and a lot of subtext as others have mentioned. It's a movie that is clearly a directors movie as every thing about it seems like Barry Jenkins had a say in absolutely everything. Loved the use of orchestra music as each act came to a close, and the portrait slice of life aspect. It is about masculinity in our community but also economics and social norms and what's expected from us as black men. Ending made complete sense as it seemed to be the one time he came to grips with who he was and what he was about.

Acting was great across the board, and again it just looks great. Script was on point as well. Movie has stayed with me for a while
:Jimmy:

I listened to a podcast before I saw the movie ( don't remember which one) and it talked about how this movie lit black skintones unlike any other movie they'd seen before and I kinda laughed it off but after seeing it i was like :ohhh:

Say bruh... I trust your word...

How much gay content is in this film? I'm tryna judge whether I can watch this film or not

As I said in an earlier post you see more gay stuff on cable TV on a Sunday Night. There was one kiss and and something that was suggested that lasts like 30 seconds in the entire 2 hours.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:Jimmy:

I listened to a podcast before I saw the movie ( don't remember which one) and it talked about how this movie lit black skintones unlike any other movie they'd seen before and I kinda laughed it off but after seeing it i was like :ohhh:

As I said in an earlier post you see more gay stuff on cable TV on a Sunday Night. There was one kiss and and something that was suggested that lasts like 30 seconds in the entire 2 hours.

Yeah to get that blue effect which was really cool. I love the look of the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Barry Jenkins wins best director and la la land wins best picture

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
in terms of gay stuff on a mainstream movie scale from 1 to 10....moonlight is maybe a 2 at the most whereas a movie like Bruno would be like a 10 :smh:

Bruno is also a comedy and a satire and meant to piss people off who have a problem with homosexuality so of course it's going to be at a 10 :russ: Sasha cohen gives little to no fukks

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
The movie is currently screening at the IFFR with a master class presented by Barry Jenkins, but since it came out in theaters past Thursday as well I skidded over to the other part of town so I could watch it with my unlimited subscription. It's currently #1 in the top 10 for the festival's audience award btw.

Anyway, it was great. I couldn't necessarily find myself in Jenkins' free form direction completely as he sometimes would pan the camera or frame a shot in a way that drew attention away from what was happening on screen. Other times it worked really well but overall it was a bit hit or miss.

He does have an unfukkwithable grasp on his actors though, you couldn't find a bad performance in this if you tried, as well as a way of capturing the emotions stirring under the skin of the characters. Really powerful scenes include the last scene of act 1 with Chiron asking Juan about homosexuality as well as his mother's drug addiction and Juan's role in this, and of course the talk in the diner in the third act.

And yes, the lighting and music of the movie is something special. It really elevated the movie in a way that's kinda hard to explain, but it basically makes this intimate story feel so much bigger. Like it transcends the movie beyond the story of Chiron to capture an entire generation (or generations, if you include the roles of Juan and Chiron's mom).