Oscar Buzz: ‘Moonlight’: To Be a Black Gay Man in America

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I got to the theater late, so I missed a few minutes in the beginning, so someone let me know if I'm tweaking...

But was Juan Chiron's pops?
:jbhmm:

I didn't see how the movie opened, I got there when he found him somewhere and took him back to his place with Theresa, and then home the next day... So I was catching up.

The scene that makes me ask if he was his pops is the one where he gets into it with his moms in the street after he confronts her about getting high in the car.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I got to the theater late, so I missed a few minutes in the beginning, so someone let me know if I'm tweaking...

I didn't see how the movie opened, I got there when he found him somewhere and took him back to his place with Theresa, and then home the next day... So I was catching up.

The scene that makes me ask if he was his pops is the one where he gets into it with his moms in the street after he confronts her about getting high in the car.
Not his son

boriquaking

In Sauce We Trust!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Big Gete Star

Naw i think chirons dad is no longer around from what we can infer.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Truthfully out of a 2 hour movie there was only one 30 second scene that made me uncomfortable and its suggested not shown.

You see more "gay" things on a Game of Thrones episode or any HBO show..

Smarten up

well they shouldn't have framed the trailer that way, no thanks

WeInHere

All Star
Supporter
Daps
They didn't go in heavy on black homosexuality like I expected. I would guess that is because there arent any black actors trying to do a role like that for real. Just my opinion but I think that really hurt this movie. It was good but it was really a lot of cinematography, awkward dialogue, and boring for stretches of the movie.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Since this is a discussion thread, I am obviously going to posting spoilers.

I thought this was a really great movie that I am still thinking about.

Not going to lie brehs, I definitely had the :beli: face going into this movie.

There were parts that did make me uncomfortable, especially two dudes looking at each other with the :shaq: face.

The dialogue in this movie seemed a bit forced at times, but then I guess that is the point because the people having a conversation are basically strangers to each other, so why would the conversation flow? Of course it would be awkard and weird.

Some great performances in this movie. The first Chiron (Little) was such a great actor. He didn't have much dialogue but the sadness in his eyes (:mjcry:) You could see the hurt the character was going through in his daily life. The disappointment when Juan told him he is a drug dealer.

This movie is heavy as fukk. So by the time the third act starts it kind of just hits you.

Not sure if people know this but in the first act when that kid wrestles with Chiron (Little) and asks why he lets people pick on him, that was Kevin (who he sees at the end of the movie)

I don't think this movie can even be compared to Precious.

Precious was disgusting. The disgusting angles (closes up ol'girl's face, Monique's hairy armpits) and the unnecessary scenes (ol'girl stealing a bucket of chicken, ol'girl throwing the baby) that added nothing to the movie.

Great movie, I don't mind if it wins the Oscar, because it is thought provoking.

Not going to watch this movie again though. :francis: