Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
In 2019, The Nation’s Report Card from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) found that just 15% of Black 8th graders were at or above reading “proficiency.” About half didn’t even reach the “basic” reading benchmark. Last week, NAEP released its latest results for high school seniors’ literacy. They’re not much better. Only 17% of Black 12th graders hit “proficiency.” As a woman of color and former Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) middle-school teacher, I’m enraged about these statistics and how our education system is failing Black children. I’m also concerned that so few media outlets are talking about it.

How do we get Black kids’ literacy to matter? Have more journalists cover it. - kappanonline.org

This is a massive disgusting pathetic failure on the part of the Black community.

White supremacy exists but the picture should not be so bleak.

NAEP Reading: National Achievement-Level Results

Last edited:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
No excuse for this.

Can't blame the white man, bc even slaves taught each other how to read.

I have personally noticed some kids who are 16-ish and they aren't where I was at 16 in terms of pronunciation and knowing the meaning of words when reading .

And these kids go to good schools. Some of it is phones just being a supreme distraction in school

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
I'd like to look into the details of the study. Percentage points can only provide an output for whatever was plugged in.

I'm not saying its BS but what are the numbers for other groups and as a country? What correlation if any is there with the shutdown? Kids went like a year without traditional instruction, etc

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
So out of roughly 20 black students only about three of them can read at a decent level?

I’m assuming math proficiency is even worse. How can anyone who claims to care about black America overlook these numbers? This is the fundamental reason why we’ve failed to gain ground post-civil rights. Those numbers are absolutely jaw dropping