Online Only Games Running This Generation?

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:patrice:

I remember gamers as a whole shytting on MS and their initial XONE reveal for attempting to release an "always online console". Fast forward to now, and it seems like the biggest games released on console are games that are actually "always online"

:jbhmm:

We've seen more console games released this generation without single player campaigns than ever before.

We were bytching about something that we've all come to accept anyway... just a thought.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
How many games does this really fall under tho? I only know of a small handful that are outright "online only".
With the way this generation has been, with day 1 patches and DLC pipelines for content, damn near every game is "online only". Surely the most hyped games so far this generation have been online only games.
No they don't because they are half assed
All games are coming out half assed tho. And you need to download patches/updates to remedy this.

• Dap
Reactions: B86

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
With the way this generation has been, with day 1 patches and DLC pipelines for content, damn near every game is "online only". Surely the most hyped games so far this generation have been online only games.

All games are coming out half assed tho. And you need to download patches/updates to remedy this.

Ehhh...I don't believe all games are "half assed" even if they come with a day 1 patch, as these sometimes just may fix a small glitch or be the road pavement for the impending "optional" DLC later. Not every game that even has a day 1 patch is just unplayable offline without said patch. Sometimes the patches are more for online stability and whatnot, which you wouldn't need if you're not going to play online at all. I think there's only a rare few cases of games that were simply unplayable w/o day-1 patch (or any patch) if you only played offline exclusively. Most especially if the game is only SP or MP is more optional than mandatory.

I wouldn't say games this gen are "Online Only", perhaps more like "Online Preferred" for the best experience.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Ubisoft said that's the future for their games so :camby: Ubisoft

I don't mind them as long as they don't skip or stifle the single player content because of it, e.g. Titanfall 1.

I don't like it, haven't liked it when EA did it for games last gen and soon after shut down the fukking servers which KILLED the game.

shyt's not a good look for gamers :patrice:

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
Χ“Χ’Χͺ
I feel like every developer trying to integrate multiplayer or a pvp system into every game is killing this generation. It's as if developers refuse to create a single player self contained game that doesn't require online interaction or competition.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like every developer trying to integrate multiplayer or a pvp system into every game is killing this generation. It's as if developers refuse to create a single player self contained game that doesn't require online interaction or competition.

MP systems I don't think are always necessary for every game. However, leaderboards and other more passive styles of online interaction/integration I don't believe are inherently bad for games. Quite the contrary actually.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Ubisoft said that's the future for their games so :camby: Ubisoft

I don't mind them as long as they don't skip or stifle the single player content because of it, e.g. Titanfall 1.

I don't like it, haven't liked it when EA did it for games last gen and soon after shut down the fukking servers which KILLED the game.

shyt's not a good look for gamers :patrice:
TitanFall :gladbron:
StarWars Battlefront :gladbron:

Both didn't have a campaign and were immensely hyped.
:francis:

Which is what I'm getting at with this thread...

These games now are having separate portions of the game being developed for PVP and PVE but they still have to be connected to online in order to play the game. It used to be offline vs online... now it's PVP and PVE.

The traditional sports games are now even tied to online servers, and cutting them off after the new game the following year comes out. I don't understand that shyt at all.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
The traditional sports games are now even tied to online servers, and cutting them off after the new game the following year comes out. I don't understand that shyt at all
This is the main issue to me. shyt is all gravy if there were dedicated servers like on PC so you can play Madden 20XX whenever the fukk you want to but they cut the servers to keep pushing gamers to buy new games instead of making new games worth buying.

Only way to stop it is to stop buying these online-only games and The Division sold more than any other Ubisoft game :snoop:

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This is the main issue to me. shyt is all gravy if there were dedicated servers like on PC so you can play Madden 20XX whenever the fukk you want to but they cut the servers to keep pushing gamers to buy new games instead of making new games worth buying.

Only way to stop it is to stop buying these online-only games and The Division sold more than any other Ubisoft game :snoop:
The Division
Destiny

That's where these companies are headed. I believe Hitman will also be one of these ever evolving online games.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
The Division
Destiny

That's where these companies are headed. I believe Hitman will also be one of these ever evolving online games.

It probably will for some triple A titles. The market is more than just those games tho. What are these other games that aren't MP focused outright that fall into this criteria tho as I mentioned earlier?