OLED TV Owners Thread (OLED Gang): Purchases, Recommendations and Updates

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Was watching Peaky Blinders earlier and the picture was :wow:

ruunning through my game library now and not as wowed tbh, can quite tell a difference with that on this tv. cinema though holy shyt

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
Way off topic but I just wanna add.. I have this piece of shyt Vizio (by todays standards) 42 inch .... I bought it in 2006 and its my secondary computer monitor.
That shyt is still running perfect and has been literally on almost every single day since 2006

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Was watching Peaky Blinders earlier and the picture was :wow:

ruunning through my game library now and not as wowed tbh, can quite tell a difference with that on this tv. cinema though holy shyt
Games are less drastic unless it's something 4K in HDR. IIRC, you said you have PS, so you're not getting VRR, which can make a difference on some games. Movies are night and day, though.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Games are less drastic unless it's something 4K in HDR. IIRC, you said you have PS, so you're not getting VRR, which can make a difference on some games. Movies are night and day, though.

Yea movies n shyt is a constant :picard: atm

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
bless me with the details king
You can change settings to fit your room environment and personal taste. The best way is to pay a professional with a special device to do it, but that's expensive. You can go to AVSFORUM.COM and look at other people's settings to try. You can also download slides and a guide to adjust the settings yourself. If you don't already, I would suggest blackout curtains. These TVs look best in total darkness.

Daps
First this:

If you don't already, I would suggest blackout curtains. These TVs look best in total darkness.

The darkest environments will make brings out the best in the OLED, including gaming

In PS5 screen and video settings, either set the resolution to 4k or automatic (idk what it is for the xbox series x but I assume it's the same)

Set transfer bit rate to automatic, HDR to always on, deep color output to automatic, and RGB range to FULL

To compliment this, in picture settings:
Game Mode for Picture Mode obviously

In the picture settings for the CX, I have picture settings that I posted earlier in this thread that several others used and have found a significant increase in picture quality. Here are the current/updated settings

OLED Light 100:
I have it at 100,sometimes lower at around 65, but you can adjust it to whatever level is
comfortable for your eyes.
Contrast - 85:
Out of the box it is at 100, but I noticed the games looked just "right" at exactly this contrast
For example, TLOU2 looked weird at 100 compared to 85, and the details were expressed better at 85. Maybe you find otherwise but this is what has been true for me and others but who knows.
Brightness - 46:
Best for black levels
Sharpness - 20:
20 is the sweet spot in terms of sharpness as 0 is too fuzzy. You can go higher if you want more sharpness. The cutoff is about 30 as higher than that can give perceived more detail but in reality is artificial sharpness and you are losing detail overall.
Color - 57:
57 is the sweet spot for the best balance of color. You can go up to about 65 if you want more vibrant colors. Higher than 65 and the colors become oversaturated
Tint - 0

In advanced controls in picture settings
dynamic contrast - off, dynamic tone mapping -on, super resolution - off, color gamut - auto

In white balance in advanced controls
color temperature-medium:

originally I had it at warm 1 but I like the way medium looks compared to warm 1. You might like warm 1 better
method-2 points, point-high, red-0, green-0, blue-0

In color management system in advanced controls
color-red, saturation-0, tint-0, luminance-0,

In advanced controls, I think peak brightness will automatically be set to high

In picture options, set all the image smoothing options like noise reduction, smooth gradation, tru motion, etc. to off
For black level in picture options, set black level to high instead of automatic or low. Black level set to high combined with RGB range set to FULL works best for the CX

In the settings beyond picture settings:
Set energy saving to off
In additional settings, I set the option "fine tune dark areas" to 0
There really isn't a consensus of what to set this to so I set it to the middle, 0

With these settings, the games, at least the ones that are supposed to look pretty on OLED, will look significantly better. You won't believe how good some games will look on the OLED now. My jaw hit the floor playing the same game that looked good but not amazing before adjusting the settings.

For example, RDR2 looked good the first time I played it on the CX. But I felt slightly disappointed by the picture quality of the game. It didn't look that much better than what I have already seen on other tvs even though you could still tell the difference. After adjusting the outside the box settings the game looked like one of the best looking games I have ever seen and the difference on this tv was now night and day compared to how RDR2 looked on other tvs I have played it on.

Last edited:
Daps

Sharpness - 20:
20 is the sweet spot in terms of sharpness as 0 is too fuzzy. You can go higher if you want more sharpness. The cutoff is about 30 as higher than that can give perceived more detail but in reality is artificial sharpness and you are losing detail overall.

For sharpness I have chosen 30 over 20 after playing TLOU2. I noticed the grass was more detailed but I wouldn't go higher than 30 based on what I've read from others. Other than that I think these are the optimal settings. Idk if you feel the same but I would compare 30 to 20 and I think you will find 30 to be better. Either way 20 or 30 work best but I think 30 is better than 20. If it doesn't look better to you stay on 20 or whatever sharpness works best that doesn't go above 30

Last edited: