OLED TV Owners Thread (OLED Gang): Purchases, Recommendations and Updates

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
Finally set up my television and I'm blown away. Regular HD is amazing. I put on the irishman which is dolby vision, only watched the first couple of minutes just to check it out, I felt like I was fukking there. I played some PS4 and the games that are HDR just, it was like going next gen without going next gen. Even the speakers in there are good, I was going to get a soundbar but I'm going to hold off on it for now because it sounds so good.

My only issue is some older movies look horrible. I downloaded ghostbusters on Amazon and it's UHD and it's almost unwatchable. It's incredibly grainy and sometimes the color on people's faces don't match up correctly. I don't know if there is anything I could do about that. But besides that I love the TV.

Daps
What kind of hdmi cables should I get for this TV? Mine coming in tomorrow and I want the good shyt

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Finally set up my television and I'm blown away. Regular HD is amazing. I put on the irishman which is dolby vision, only watched the first couple of minutes just to check it out, I felt like I was fukking there. I played some PS4 and the games that are HDR just, it was like going next gen without going next gen. Even the speakers in there are good, I was going to get a soundbar but I'm going to hold off on it for now because it sounds so good.

My only issue is some older movies look horrible. I downloaded ghostbusters on Amazon and it's UHD and it's almost unwatchable. It's incredibly grainy and sometimes the color on people's faces don't match up correctly. I don't know if there is anything I could do about that. But besides that I love the TV.
That's the compression. Not the TV. I downloaded a UHD BR rip of Ghostbusters and it looks great. If you want to watch movies seriously, do like I did:

1. Buy a NAS
2. Buy an Nvidia Shield
3. Buy a Newsgroup account
4. Download remuxes or 1:1 BR rips, store them on the NAS, and run them through the shield.

Or, buy a good BR player. Cable and the streaming services all compress the content too much to take advantage of an OLED.

Last edited:
Daps
That's the compression. Not the TV. I downloaded a UHD BR rip of Ghostbusters and it looks great. If you want to watch movies seriously, do like I did:

1. Buy a NAS
2. Buy an Nvidia Shield
4. Download remixes or 1:1 BR rips, store them on the NAS, and run them through the shield.

Or, buy a good BR player. Cable and the streaming services all compress the content too much to take advantage of an OLED.
got any blu rays you recommend?
I want to take full advantage of this tv

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
got any blu rays you recommend?
I want to take full advantage of this tv
The Dark Knight
Planet Earth 2 (Documentary)
Beetlejuice Remaster from last year
Either of the last two Avengers movies
Matrix Trilogy
Us

Off the top of my head. Most review sites keep recommendations of reference quality discs.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The Dark Knight
Matrix Trilogy
Us

Off the top of my head. Most review sites keep recommendations of reference quality discs.

LOTR trilogy just dropped a 4K remaster:whoo:

its next on my list to try on this LG OLED.

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
The Dark Knight
Matrix Trilogy
Us

I’ve always had oled but never watched a BluRay in my life, is there really a stark difference between the disk and streaming ?

Hostile

All Star
Daps

1. Buy a NAS
2. Buy an Nvidia Shield
4. Download remixes or 1:1 BR rips, store them on the NAS, and run them through the shield.

What's a NAS?

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I’ve always had oled but never watched a BluRay in my life, is there really a stark difference between the disk and streaming ?

Absolutely. All streaming services use lossy compression. As in, loss of fidelity and quality. If you're streaming off anything but a 1:1 disc rip you're losing quality. A good UHD BR and Amazon or Netflix is very different.

What's a NAS?

Network Attached Storage. You put hard drives in it, connect it to your router, and anything on your network (and outside if you wish) can access its files. I have a Synology. I can vouch for them, they work well, and the OS is updated all the time. You can look on IT boards to look for deals on good hard drives. Usually, WD or someone will use good drives for USB drives for a good price. You buy them, take the hard drive out of the enclosure, and use it for your NAS. Anyone that is serious about computing or mass/important data should have one. Synology lets you install addon programs, making your NAS a mini-server of sorts. All sorts of extra functionality. I have mine setup to take all my movie/TV downloads and uncompress them automatically. I have my desktop backing up to it every night. Have my entire music collection on there, which I can access anywhere (mostly negated by Spotify, but Spotify doesn't have remixes, obscure stuff, loosies, etc. You can install Plex or a bunch of other softwares to serve video and audio diretly off it, but I have mine directly going into Kodi on my Shield.