Old brehs…who was the first white NBA player black people fukked with fr?

Admiral Ackbar

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Are you asking this from the perspective of a young whipper snapper asking an old head?

Or

And older wiser vet talking to these know it all children on the coli?:lupe:
The latter. :flabbynsick:

While it's waning there are Coli members actually under 35 :skip:

I'm 30 in a couple weeks and in my lifetime/viewership the only guy who fits this question is probably Jason Williams. Someone 25 isn't even going to remember him so this question is valid lol

Some of the responses in here are like posters think only players who played when they were born existed and it blows my mind.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Respected vs fukked with are different.

Like @Megadeus mentioned: Chris Mullin and Jason Williams.

I don't think I've heard a single cat have something bad to say about Chris Mullin.

In hindsight Bird, but not while he was playing.
If you wanna put it that way, I'd say none of them, especially in my era. In fact, why is this even a question.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I chose Havilcek because he was the oldest player in the NBA for a good run, and still scoring. And you know how Black people use too respect their elders, regardless of color. But personally, we couldn't stand the Celtics.

But he would have been respected in the 1970s. So again, are we claiming that Black folk didn't respect 99% of the NBA in the 1950s and 1960s? If Cousy and Pettit weren't respected in the 1950s, then what player was? If Jerry West wasn't respected in the 1960s, then what guard was?

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
The latter. :flabbynsick:

Some of the responses in here are like posters think only players who played when they were born existed and it blows my mind.
If that's the case OP wouldn't have cared to ask. Bird gets talked about because he's a Top 10er. Others not so much besides Jerry for his success as an executive.

bzb

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I thought his rivalry with Magic caused a lot of racial tension? No?
it definitely highlighted racial tensions. he was "the great white hope" during a time when demographics of the nba and other sports were shifting towards majority black. wasn't his fault racists latched onto him because he was a great player in a sea of black faces.

to his credit bird never fed into the racial narrative though. he was always respectful of his black teammates and opponents from what i remember. even when detroit was going at him saying he's overrated and only getting attention because he's white he didn't clap back on a racist approach. always kept it basketball and earned his respect.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
It's funny, I don't know if I've seen many comments about pistol pete from guys like walt frazier, kareem, wilt, bill, big o, so interesting that he's the answer. Makes sense, dude was ahead of his time.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
If you wanna put it that way, I'd say none of them, especially in my era. In fact, why is this even a question.
See many on Facebook now talking about they'd take Prime Dwight over Joker. And that's with the fact Dwight shoulda been on that Top 75

fukkin with Dwight but :francis:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It's funny, I don't know if I've seen many comments about pistol pete from guys like walt frazier, kareem, wilt, bill, big o, so interesting that he's the answer. Makes sense, dude was ahead of his time.

Only two guys mentioned Pistol Pete, and the one that did it twice is pretty much known for speaking authoritatively with crap takes backed by nothing.

Pete Maravich was drafted the month after Jerry West averaged 38-5-7 in a Finals including a 42-13-12 performance on an injured hammy in Game 7. And in Pete's rookie year, West averaged 31-3-8 in the Finals including this Game 3 shot that was one of the greatest buzzer-beaters of all time.

That was like his 6th Finals in 8 years at that point when nearly all the other stars were bigs, as far as guards go he was the face of the NBA.

OP set the standard by saying that Black people fukked with Kukoc and Peja....so I'm supposed to believe that they fukked with Pistol Pete but not Jerry West?

Last edited:

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
But then the question is meaningless, it just becomes, "Who is the oldest poster here?"
Well considering this question was asked on this board and majority of posters werent even alive in the 80s then yes, that would be partially true. But then again, u cant count on a random old ass nikka who lived before the 80s so the consensus here would be Bird. Makes no sense to list players after Bird like posters are doing on here...

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Only two guys mentioned Pistol Pete, and the one that did it twice is pretty much known for speaking authoritatively with crap takes backed by nothing.

Pete Maravich was drafted the month after Jerry West averaged 38-5-7 in a Finals including a 42-13-12 performance on an injured hammy in Game 7. And in Pete's rookie year, West averaged 31-3-8 in the Finals including this Game 3 shot that was one of the greatest buzzer-beaters of all time.

That was like his 6th Finals in 8 years at that point when nearly all the other stars were bigs, as far as guards go he was the face of the NBA.

OP set the standard by saying that Black people fukked with Kukoc and Peja....so I'm supposed to believe that they fukked with Pistol Pete but not Jerry West?

I can agree with this

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
But he would have been respected in the 1970s. So again, are we claiming that Black folk didn't respect 99% of the NBA in the 1950s and 1960s? If Cousy and Pettit weren't respected in the 1950s, then what player was? If Jerry West wasn't respected in the 1960s, then what guard was?
Not really understanding your argument here. Somebody already mentioned that there was a difference between respected and f**ked with. The title of the thread does say f**ked with. As far as respected, like I said, I went with John Havlicek because I was there. But brothers weren't fans, or aka "f**ked with" him, or any White basketball players, including the ones you named, although they were legends and respected by us. When Havlicek, and the cats you named played, our fans were Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Bill Russell, etc. For example today, brothers may respect legends like Larry Bird, Nikola Jovic, etc..., but I don't think any of these brothers would be considered their fans. Then again, I think the OP really meant who was the first White NBA player Black people appreciated. Let's keep it a buck, brothers dominate the sport too much, and there's not that much to chose from, when picking out the handful of White players who really made any noise.

Last edited: