OKC's Steven Adams Calls The Warriors "Monkeys"

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Intent does matter though, as does context. In what context are you gonna go on TV and call someone a fakkit while NOT trying to be offensive? Even if you don't hate gays you were clearly intending to offend someone. shyt a gay man will call you a fakkit if he's trying to get under your skin.
Comparing someone to a monkey or any other animal for that matter is an insult.

Sunzoo out here acting like groundhog :comeon:

I don't think he was trying to offend black people en-mass by comparing guards (not specific players I mind you) in the NBA to monkeys. I'm not gonna tell people how they should or shouldn't react but saying that context isn't a factor is ridiculous IMO. There is much less margin for contextual error, if ANY in the example you used :laugh:
I don't think he was either. But racism is subconscious a lot of times. Doesn't mean he hates black people. But the shyt came out of his mouth meaning he didn't chose is words wisely. And being that he's on a team with a bunch of black folks, and a bunch of black fans pay his paycheck. They deserve the respect of him knowing which words to say or not.

He fukked up. Even he admits that and didn't come with a the excuses Yall are making for him.

Professor Mac

Im African not black
Daps
LOL, we're supposed to just take his word that there's no racist intent though. That's my issue. The guy who said the racist comments says there was no racial intent, and that's good enough for you jokers.

The way I see it is that this isn't DOnald Sterling secret recorded tapes of him calling us monkeys and laughing about it

This is in a postgame interview by a black reporter.. this is a guy who Kevin and Westbrok have spoken highly of after knowing for four years..

I just find it really hard to believe that he was say something so offensive so publicly

And if he was tryna be offensive.

Why apologize? All of this outrage doesn't make any sense when you really think about it

Last edited:

Professor Mac

Im African not black
Daps
If I go on TV and call you a fakkit.

Doesn't really matter whether I hate gays, I shouldn't have said the shyt period.

The world is a big place.. People have different meaning for the exact same word depending on where you are from ..

When I was going up if I called someone a fakkit it was because they were soft, not because I saw him giving head in an alley..

Now as Im older I realized it's a very offense term and shouldn't be used..

Im not saying he "should" have said it, but intent, and in the case "racial intent" always matters.

To say it doesn't matter is nonsensical.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The world is a big place.. People have different meaning for the exact same word depending on where you are from ..

When I was going up if I called someone a fakkit it was because they were soft, not because I saw him giving head in an alley..

Now as Im older I realized it's a very offense term and shouldn't be used..

Im not saying he "should" have said it, but intent, and in the case "racial intent" always matters.

To say it doesn't matter is nonsensical.
He's playing basketball in America.

You go over seas saying some offensive shyt, they gonna tell you :ufdup:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Shut up you fukking monkey.

Does that sound like a compliment to you :usure:

Well you are telling me to shut up and you are cursing, so yes it is offensive.

If I saw a bunch of kids running around and climbing trees, and I said "damn I can't keep up with those little monkeys", would that be offensive?

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Comparing someone to a monkey or any other animal for that matter is an insult.

Sunzoo out here acting like groundhog :comeon:

:laugh:

I'm also hung like a horse, strong as an ox and graceful as a gazelle.

:russ:

I don't think he was either. But racism is subconscious a lot of times. Doesn't mean he hates black people. But the shyt came out of his mouth meaning he didn't chose is words wisely. And being that he's on a team with a bunch of black folks, and a bunch of black fans pay his paycheck. They deserve the respect of him knowing which words to say or not.

He fukked up. Even he admits that and didn't come with a the excuses Yall are making for him.

1. You don't think his intent was racist
2. You admit it was a poor choice of words.
3. He was reprimanded, told why and apologized immediately.

It ain't even about making excuses it's about obvious reasons as to why even YOU, who still seems to be sore about the thing doesn't think he meant any harm.

Majority of the people in this thread have no issue with addressing the comment and why, out of context it might be something to take offense to, those aren't excuses, just common sense. The only reason people are having to break that down is because some people in here that think he was trolling the entire black race by noting how quick the smaller players/positions in the NBA are relative to guys his size.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:laugh:

I'm also hung like a horse, strong as an ox and graceful as a gazelle.

:russ:
Quick as a monkey :comeon:

1. You don't think his intent was racist
2. You admit it was a poor choice of words.
3. He was reprimanded, told why and apologized immediately.

It ain't even about making excuses it's about obvious reasons as to why even YOU, who still seems to be sore about the thing doesn't think he meant any harm.

Majority of the people in this thread have no issue with addressing the comment and why, out of context it might be something to take offense to, those aren't excuses, just common sense. The only reason people are having to break that down is because some people in here that think he was trolling the entire black race by noting how quick the smaller players/positions in the NBA are relative to guys his size.
1. I have no proof he is, and no reason to not believe his word.
2. Yes
3. Good

As for the rest, there's no guarantee that race or his general disdain for those players didn't play a roll in his word choice.

He chose the words, so he should own it.

He didn't even put up the defense Yall are putting up for h.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Quick as a monkey :comeon:

You said comparing somebody to any animal is disrespectful breh, I'm just trying to humor you.

Those examples I gave are more often than not complimentary, agree or disagree? The only time they become an insult is when they are associated with something negative. Unless you come from a culture where monkey = black people it really isn't much different than those other examples.

1. I have no proof he is, and no reason to not believe his word.
2. Yes
3. Good

As for the rest, there's no guarantee that race or his general disdain for those players didn't play a roll in his word choice.

He chose the words, so he should own it.

He didn't even put up the defense Yall are putting up for h.

Again, it really just seems like people are trying to explain to those that still question his motives/intent. Nobody is upset that the "public" at large tapped him on the shoulder and said "hey you might not want to say that"...that's a good thing. People are just arguing against the idea that context DOESN'T matter with issues like this, because it does.

None of that negates the need for dialogue when things like this come up though, so we agree there.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps

Lol since when do players behave accordingly becuase the team fans deserve respect :russ: