Official Wu-Tang: An American Saga Season 1 Thread

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
Ep 8 might be the best one. :ohhh:

im :dead: at these idiot label heads thinking that stupid music video would pop. This shyt was During the NWA era and these idiots thought that would be hot? :what:

The poster was :mjpls: too.

NWA was pretty much gone then. West Coast was on snooze, save Cube, who was in NY. This is PE, De La, Digital Underground, Naughty, LONS
Lmao.. The Chronic dropped then Doggystyle dropped.. The west coast was running shyt at this point.. :ufdup:
I like this conversation.

im not getting on ya debate. Im not going by album sales cause Vanilla ICE sold millions of records and at that time many artists that were conscious rappers produced a lot of hits in the hip hop era but didnt sell as much records.
controversial/violence or sex/party raps will always sell lot more and pop style party raps unfortunately. I'm only going by movements. the south had a strong underground bass booty rap vibe Atlanta,Florida regions but let me get back to your and other posters statements.of course you had groups like Underground Kingz, Arrested Development, Rap A lot, Swishahouse,8 Ball MMG,Triple SIx MC Breed etc.... but for now i will exclude mid and south for this topic thats for another discussion.

West Coast wasn't in a snooze in the early 90's it was in fact getting more broad in their styles.
west coast wanting to be known as gangster rap kind of hurt them creative wise especially with the violence behind that. However, before and during the GFUNK era lots of GFUNK based west coast cats soon followed .

there was a strong movement of keeping it "real" and not changing your "style" or mimicking others style and being original late 80's to early 90's . every region had "their " movement yes even early 90's.
In the east lots of movement spawned many rappers under their umbrellas.
ONYX were huge had cross over hits while embraced by the underground scene
Black Moon (Pac loved them) has a movement along with their collective Boot Camp Click, Smith & Wessun, etc..
Queen Latifah and the whole Flavor Unit collective Naughty By Nature
Xclan, Poor Righteous Teachers/ Brand Nubian, Grand Puba that black conscious movement
Lords of the Underground
EPMD - after they broke up for awhile but from their camp you had Redman,Keith Murray,KSOLO, DAS EFX) were huge and nationally embraced and consistently sold albums
D.I.TC. had their underground movement each
the UPTOWN RECORDS camp ( Heavy Dee and people on that label)
Juice Crew collective were still strong after the 80's but fading away Kool G Rap event went to west coast and worked with SIr Jinx. Master Ace went to west coast for a minute.
Nice and Smooth had a strong movement hip hop/sing song vibe 198-to early 90's (pac flew Greg Nice to LA during Death Row days to work in One Nation Album)
LL COOL J had an amazing run. he had some dips in the early 90's but rose above that had consistent platinum selling albums for those into that sales numbers.
Tribe Call Quest had a movement inspiring producers and mc's not just in the east coast. producers J Dilla ( also worked on Tribe) from Detroit and west coast artists like Phaycyde influence from Tribe Call Quest. many artists/producers came from J DILLA tree. Busta Rhymes leaders of New School, Dela Soul from the same camp.
Lost Boyz were huge in NY but that was 1994 Fugees were later on
Salt and Pepa (i know but they still had an amazing run) worldwide appeal

The core of 1990's spawned a lot of underground regional rappers that came and went but were embraced songs like the UMC's with songs like "blue cheese" .
KMD had a few songs one of the rappers later became MF DOOM who is influenced from Kool Keith

. As far as consistency in making albums and "respect" from their peers Gang STARR had a good steady run from 1989-1998 not counting the new album in 2019 long after Guru died or their 2003 album.

Pac was not a regionally biased rapper when he started. he wasnt on the outspoken west coast tip until "after he got shot". otherwise he was just making songs for the sake of it.

west coast " back pack" rappers and conscious rappers were making waves influence by P.E. and De La SOUL like Pharcyde, Del Funky Homosapien, The COUP, Paris,Souls of Mischief, and Ras Kass (who was heavily appreciated in the East Coast),
Digital Underground that spawn Pac their movement had a strong run

CYPRESS HILL from California .was huge . they were accepted in the East. they had big hits early 90's. In fact their first smash hit 1991, "How I can just kill a man" video was in New York
WC before Westside Connection . he was with the WC and The MAAD CIRCLE with SIr Jinz(Ice Cube Producer) side note. Ice Cube hated on Pac but i wont get into that.
Too Short steady making albums.
Mellow Man Ace, Kid Frost west coast latin rappers were huge in the west at the time.

yes you had pockets of rappers selling multi platinum records like LL COOL J, MC HAMMER, etc... i'm going by movements not selling records.

someone mentioned Chubb Rock. I think what the poster was trying to say or at least Im trying to say is that in the early 90's you had pocket of movements and also a lot of individual would come and go with hit songs some were regional hits some faded away. Chubb had couple hit songs that but i wouldn't say he was huge as far as top ten selling albums . he represented the dance/party hip hop movement or songs that people who wanted to stay away from the negativity/violence stuff. Heavy Dee would have been a better example.Heavy Dee was consistently huge in 80's to early 90's and made it cool for big dudes to rap party and be fly while being positive.

you mentioned ICE T. ice t music was west coast based but he was bi-coastal and his click had people from ZULU NAtion from the Bronx. Afrikka Islam from Zulu Nation produced and dj for ICE T some of his songs too. Ice is either affiliated or officially became a zulu nation member. Also at the time he was still big doing movies and tv shows like NY Undercover and he did rock group.

Last edited:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
That’s another thing that kinda irks me is that sometimes the fashion and style isn’t consistent with the time it’s set in. Specifically Bobby wearing baggy ass army fatigues and timbs. I’m not from NY so I don’t know when that trend truly truly started taking flight but I feel like it didn’t start till 92 at the earliest.
Im not from the east but g rap and etc was dressing like that in 89. Krs One too.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
They're real. They Wu always talk about the seriousness of the Stapleton vs Park Hill ish. Look at the Shy vs Rae beef interviews.

Dave East is like 30. By the time he would've been getting serious into rap, Wu's reign was over and it would've been X, Jigga, Lox, with 50 & Dipset coming up in the wings. Us serious Wu fans are pushing 40 & up.
Nah dave east is in that age range to be a hardcore fan. Hell im 35

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
I held off way watching this show but i finished it this week:wow:. Made my wife into a wu fan.
I'm a huge Wu fan but I never got around to watching this. Also, the people they cast kind of thru me off.

It was good though we watched the whole thing in one day.