Official WONDER WOMAN Thread

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Tom cruise career is in an odd space right now
Its crazy because his non-Mission Impossible movies get uneven box office results in the US but worldwide all of his flicks make really good money.
This Mummy movie pulled in $175k in one weekend when you factor in the international box office. Dude is still loved unconditionally outside of America.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I'm going to go on a limb and say he meant personally. Maybe?:patrice:

Yeah its weird how Mission Impossible seems to be his one guarantee now, at least domestically. The Mummy is killing it overseas
Yeah I got that from the extended back and forth he had with other posters after I had already posted.
It was just an odd bit of phrasing I guess.

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
I saw this a couple hours ago. I highly enjoyed this movie.Villians were :mjlol: though.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Just came back from seeing this. It's pretty good. A little cheesy at times, but still good.

One thing I don't see is how it's soooo much different from Man of Steel and BVS. I thought those were pretty good as well and this felt more of the same to me. Not that I'm complaining about it, I just see people talking like this is way better than those.

Wall

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Hong Kong
Just saw this and really enjoyed it. The battle on Themascura looked incredible, Chris Pine was hilarious and Gal Gadot ended up being a perfect choice for the role imo. The final battle was whatever and felt like a missed opportunity for the whole sword/Diana/Godkiller thing but I can let it slide cause I thought the ending overall landed and delivered.

I thought there would be more discussion about the actual film in here but it's mostly just posts about the box office, RT scores and for some reason Tom Cruise's drawing power :russ:

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
Just saw this and really enjoyed it. The battle on Themascura looked incredible, Chris Pine was hilarious and Gal Gadot ended up being a perfect choice for the role imo. The final battle was whatever and felt like a missed opportunity for the whole sword/Diana/Godkiller thing but I can let it slide cause I thought the ending overall landed and delivered.

I thought there would be more discussion about the actual film in here but it's mostly just posts about the box office, RT scores and for some reason Tom Cruise's drawing power :russ:
mahv-L stans always derailing threads abot movies they dont "care" abot :hubie:

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim

Bruh I thought I was in The Mummy thread for a sec:dead:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
This shyt finally opened here so I could see it, and I'm not sure why it took so long because even my Korean girl got the movie before we did. :why:

Anyway, I have been avoiding this thread for the most part to avoid spoilers and such but I have read some general opinions here and there.

First and foremost, I want to say this:

Anyone who says this feels more like a Marvel movie than a DC movie is talking out of their ass. This feels absolutely nothing like a Marvel movie (and for the record, I mean that in a good way). It has very much its own distinct feel and structure, and although I think there were a lot of moments where Patty Jenkins came up short and got exposed as a so-so director (and not just the infamous third act, more on that later), she nails it just as often and certainly delivers a ton of moments that can only be described as iconic, most obviously of course the No Man's Land scene.

It's funny to read Jenkins talk about how she had to convince WB of the necessity of the scene, not just because it's the best scene (and arguably most necessary scene) in the movie, but also because it is the exact scene that the first Cap movie needed really bad (showing the hero's mettle in battle), and I'm certain Marvel was afraid to do it back then too. The scene is nothing but a big triumph and hopefully wakes up execs on both sides of the game (and frankly anyone making a blockbuster movie) to the importance of showing what makes a character heroic (instead of just hoping everyone will assume it because he/she is the "hero" character of the story).

I must be honest a bit about Gal Gadot, she has tons of screen presence and captures your heart easily, but she is not a good actress. Her presence makes her get away with a lot but when the screenplay turns in a clumsy line she simply has no ability to salvage it in any way. Which makes it perhaps an even greater accomplishment that she makes the role hers and is very much the defining Wonder Woman the character needs to be right now. I don't think many actresses could pull that off and it's a testament to Gadot as an icon. I don't believe her acting career will benefit much from this role, but her legacy will. Side-note: her chemistry with Chris Pine is wonderful and Pine is proving himself to be Hollywood's most unappreciated actor more and more lately.

Unfortunately the biggest problem with the movie is the clumsiness in which way the story is handled. On one hand it does amazing and very interesting stuff like the No Man's Land scene, but also the chief talking about how it were the Americans ("the good guys") who stole their land and Sameer talking how he could never be an actor because of his skin color. It's a subtle way to make the movie not just a full-blown feminist movie but have it deal with oppression in general (for the record, I didn't mind the feminism stuff either because it was handled very well), and it also adds to the complexity of the world that Diana is only just beginning to understand. The clumsiness however comes in with the awful awful Ares stuff. The first times she mentions destroying Ares will end the war work to play up her naivety, but halfway through the movie when she learns more about the workings of modern world and she still repeats every 5 minutes that she must end Ares, it just becomes incredibly hamfisted, accumulating in the absolutely atrocious climactic battle.

Before I get to that, let me say one thing (and I'm going spoiler mode here):

Danny Huston and David Thewlis are incredible character actors and I love that they are in this, but who the fukk honestly thought they would make good actors to portray a bunch of superpowered bad guys?:deadrose:

Huston's character, while minimally motivated is delightfully evil, but every time he sniffs the Super Soldier Serum™ I just chuckled because it was so stupid. Don't even get me started on how the movie completely brushes over the fact they could create an army of super soldiers if they wanted but instead focus their entire scheme on poisonous gas.:dead:

Thewlis' Ares is on another level of bad though. The reveal makes no sense and while he's mildly intimidating in human form, it was a terrible idea to keep Thewlis as the face of armored CGI Ares with minimal vocal effects so the powerful god of war kept threatening Diana in his fancy British accent.:deadmanny:

I got a helluva good laugh though at the shot of Thewlis' face CGI-pasted on the body of goddamn bodybuilder.:heh:

Anyway, the less said about the awful CGI, the shytty editing and overall terrible handling of the final battle, the better really. It's a shame too because it really diminished the fukk out of a very good moment (Steve Trevor's self sacrifice) because you had to sit through ugly CGI explosions and Thewlis yelling stuff like "LIIIIIEEESSS!!!" and "THEN I WILL DESTROY YOU!" like a B-movie villain.

Btw, whoever said the final act felt like it was directed by Snyder is talking out of their ass too. If anything all signs point to WB exec meddling (this whole third act mess is too reminiscent of Suicide Squad's awful third act), and although I think @Prodigal Syndicate exaggerates the Snyder hatred, people blaming Snyder for this are all wrong. If anything, you're just giving a pass to Jenkins who I might say again, fails to deliver here almost as much as she accomplishes.

Final thoughts: I gave it a 6/10 on IMDb, mostly because the final act brings it down at least a full point. I can forgive most of the movie's other faults because it gets just as much right but that shyt right there was some unforgivable garbage and it honestly makes me mad they couldn't end the movie on a higher note. It's definitely a joke how much praise this movie gets, but we live in a world where people actually praise GotG2 too so it's definitely not a feminist agenda, maybe some kind of "praise barely above average superhero movies" agenda.

I also got a free IMAX poster that strangely summed up many of the conflicted feelings I have for the movie:

vJi8wNS.jpg

Because I just look at this and wonder why in blue perfect hell would you put Wonder Woman sideways there? It draws away all attention from her and onto the two supporting characters on the side and just feels completely off. Add the terrible Marvel posters we've seen lately and we now live in a world where studios will spend 150 million dollars on marketing and somehow this terribly designed piece of shyt poster is one of the things they ended up with.:picard: