Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Len Bias happened in 1986.

This is 1979.

There was the Pittsburgh cocaine trials as well, but superstar athletes largely weren’t seen scum bags until gossip blogs popped up in the early aughts.

One of the best examples of this, to this day, is Julius Erving. Man was allowed to shyt on his ex wife in that nba tv documentary despite him fathering a girl who would make the Wimbledon semis (Alexandra Stevenson).

Man also had an 80s era sex tape out on the market. Dr. J had/has a pristine image.

Actors and rock and rollers were the ones we associated with scumbagery.

I considered all of them scumbags, because they all partied together. Hell, here the rumor was Dr J had Teddy P's brakes sabotaged. And I'm from North Philly, so I grew up hearing about a Bill Cosby and Spanish Fly, since season 2-3 of the Cosby Show. I was born in '80. By '88 I knew about the coke head athletes. The ones who got caught, or were visibly out of control were saying "everyone was doing it."

I'm not saying everyone's laundry was publicly aired out, but the rumors and stories were out then...for a good amount of them. People just didn't care as much as they do now.