Official Westworld Season 3 Thread

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
you cats remember that shyt from last year? "these sites have all your info, click here to learn how to delete it"?

there were coli threads on said sites.

they looked like Caleb's shyt that dolores showed him.

I think it was
Code:
intelius
that had the social rankings

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
It isn't, but there isn't much else in terms of speaking on the human condition, at least in a way that's not abstract or philosophical.

It's a meticulously crafted jigsaw puzzle that sometimes dwells too long on its own reverence.
Again, the very nature of the show kind of lends itself to speaking on the human condition that way. A lot of shows/movies that deal with artificial intelligence, technologically advanced future societies, and Big Brother-ish dystopias treat the human condition in an abstract or philosophical manner. shyt, in the real world right now it's almost become cliche to talk about how we're slaves to our phones and technology and how human interaction is steadily dwindling. Black Mirror made a name for itself based on this very premise. There's a show called Devs on Hulu that I've been really enjoying that shares a lot in common with Westworld.

What about this season seems like a jigsaw puzzle to you? I could see you saying that about season 1 or 2, but what are you confused about concerning this season? I'd agree with you if the writing style of this show ever felt forced or gimmicky, but every writing decision they made so far seems entirely organic by the end of the season. I don't get the notion that they're drinking their own koolaid when it comes to the complexity of the storytelling. If that's the case, any movie or show that isn't a purely point A to point B linear story is just complicated for the fukk of it. Using an unreliable narrator? Misdirection for the sake of building un-earned twists and also a way to keep the viewer questioning everything they're watching. The Rashomon effect? A cheap way to make a movie longer instead of merely giving a 3rd person account of what really happened. Different timelines, flashbacks, and flashforwards are merely techniques used to create twists and big reveals because if told in a linear fashion there would be nothing to reveal. I'm pretty confident people wouldn't be too happy if the storytelling techniques I just named were never used again and every story was told in a linear fashion. So I have to ask again, why exactly is it now and with this show that there's an issue, especially since they seem to have made a concerted effort to dumb this season down?

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm enjoying this season, it's making me want to go back and actually watch season 2. Also I read a pretty convincing theory from The Ringer about who's inside the Charlotte host.

‘Westworld’ Theories: The Best Candidates for Who’s in Charlotte Hale’s Body

Dolores is the most likely character to be in Charlotte’s body. In Season 1, we saw that Robert Ford took the sweet, naive version of Dolores and merged her with a character named Wyatt, the leader of a dark cult. The result was Dolores having two personalities that shaped who she was.

If those personalities can be merged, it makes sense that they could be pulled apart. When Dolores left the Westworld park in Charlotte Hale’s body, she likely took Wyatt out of her head and put his consciousness into Dolores’s body while leaving the sweet, rancher’s daughter version of Dolores in Charlotte’s body.

With this possibility in mind, everything Dolores and Charlotte say to each other makes more sense. In their first scene together in Sunday’s episode, Dolores stares at Charlotte and tells her to “bring yourself back online.” Charlotte begins to freak out, and Dolores grabs her hand and tells her to “remember who you are.” She remembers. What character would remember who they are by staring at Dolores other than … Dolores? We’ve already seen Dolores awakened with this exact scenario at the end of Season 1, when Dolores sat in a chair across from herself.

In the first scene of Sunday’s episode, Dolores says that Charlotte is a creature of beauty and power and that she trusts her, words that would make a lot more sense in reference to herself than to any other person. And later in the episode, Dolores soothes Charlotte by saying, “You’re not alone. You have me. No one knows you like I do. No one knows me like you.” As Dolores says that, cinematographer Zoe White uses a mirroring effect to multiply the personalities in the room.

The symbolism continues. “If I ever lost you, I don’t know what I’d do,” Charlotte responds. The two then lie down and spoon together, a sort of intimacy that Dolores has never shown with anyone else. Two parts of the same mind coming together.

This theory is not as out there as it sounds. Westworld co-showrunner Jonathan Nolan has done this kind of thing before. [Spoiler alert for a movie that came out in 2006.] In The Prestige, written by Jonathan and directed by his brother Christopher, Christian Bale plays a magician who pulls off an elaborate trick in which he teleports from one side of the stage to the other. But at the end of the movie, we learn Bale’s stagehand had actually been his twin brother in disguise the whole time. The two brothers were so committed to the act that they took shifts living one life. Now, I’m not saying David Bowie as Nikola Tesla is going to show up in Season 3 of Westworld, but history might be repeating itself a bit.

Where does that leave us for the rest of this season? The broad outlines seem to have been laid out by Dolores in the first scene of this episode. Dolores, as Wyatt, is the power. She’s the gun-toting, motorcycle-driving, neck-slashing brute who sees the ugliness in the world. Charlotte is the sweet Dolores who sees the beauty in this world. But her softer touch is hardening, as shown when Charlotte chokes out that pedophile on the bench. “The harder I squeeze, the more I remember,” Charlotte says. “I remember what it’s like to be me.” If sweet Dolores is yearning to be whole again, we could get a role reversal where Charlotte gets more violent and Dolores gets less violent.

:ehh: Convinced me.