Official Watchmen Thread

Berry

Negro Swan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Okaga,CA
I liked how Angela’s grandfather, Reeves, mentions that Dr.M was a nice guy but for all that power he could’ve done more and Angela agreed.
For all Dr.M had, he was very much detached from social issues, and had a very deterministic view with regards to outcomes. Angela always fought and even with all those years as a Black man, he still wasn’t really immersed as to what it meant to be one.
At the end of the day he was a White Man, who inherited powers beyond imagination.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I liked how Angela’s grandfather, Reeves, mentions that Dr.M was a nice guy but for all that power he could’ve done more and Angela agreed.
For all Dr.M had, he was very much detached from social issues, and had a very deterministic view with regards to outcomes. Angela always fought and even with all those years as a Black man, he still wasn’t really immersed as to what it meant to be one.
At the end of the day he was a White Man, who inherited powers beyond imagination.
His weakness is and has always been his passivity. He sees events and has no desire to change his world. Until the very end. I believe Angela changed him a bit and the one decision he made that wasn’t about “what must come” was leaving her the egg and him making a choice

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
As a fan of the graphic novel, I'm really looking forward to binging this when I visit my family this weekend (they already have HBO, so I don't have to pay extra for it). But does anyone find it really strange and uncanny that the series opens up with a reenactment of the Tulsa Massacre, and now the Tulsa Massacre is trending on Twitter because they found a mass grave? :lupe:That can't be a coincidence. God works in mysterious ways. :wow:

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...

I think this actually highlights Lindelof's lack of understanding of certain nuances within the source material more so than anything. Watchmen is fundamentally about power structures and how power is expressed and disseminated to the masses via various entities. For example, you can take Dr. M as this all powerful cosmic force in juxtaposition to Ozymandias. The former having an undefined power set so people ascribe to him the label of "God," and the latter for all his accomplishments is a mortal man.The one you could deem God because of his sheer power/abilities does almost nothing to stem the pending demise of humanity. The mere man which possesses the resources and know how does "something" to save the world; but kills 3 million people in the process. Who uses their power right or appropriately? Watchmen is non-committal. It's non-judgmental. Collectively, we should find any use of mass power disconcerting. Whether, it's Dr. M zapping Vietcong into dust for the advance of American hegemony, or a dude saving the world by producing a psychic squid.

So, to then have Will be like he could've done more? No, no, no, no, no. If you can do anything - the greatest show of power would be doing nothing (at times). The more I think about it, they really butchered Dr. M in the last episode.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
His weakness is and has always been his passivity. He sees events and has no desire to change his world. Until the very end. I believe Angela changed him a bit and the one decision he made that wasn’t about “what must come” was leaving her the egg and him making a choice
Lindelof compared him to Dumbledore :mjlol:

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I think this actually highlights Lindelof's lack of understanding of certain nuances within the source material more so than anything. Watchmen is fundamentally about power structures and how power is expressed and disseminated to the masses via various entities. For example, you can take Dr. M as this all powerful cosmic force in juxtaposition to Ozymandias. The former having an undefined power set so people ascribe to him the label of "God," and the latter for all his accomplishments is a mortal man.The one you could deem God because of his sheer power/abilities does almost nothing to stem the pending demise of humanity. The mere man which possesses the resources and know how does "something" to save the world; but kills 3 million people in the process. Who uses their power right or appropriately? Watchmen is non-committal. It's non-judgmental. Collectively, we should find any use of mass power disconcerting. Whether, it's Dr. M zapping Vietcong into dust for the advance of American hegemony, or a dude saving the world by producing a psychic squid.

So, to then have Will be like he could've done more? No, no, no, no, no. If you can do anything - the greatest show of power would be doing nothing (at times). The more I think about it, they really butchered Dr. M in the last episode.

CAC TALK.

MANHATTAN SHOULD HAVE WIPED OUT
EVERY WHITE SUPREMACIST ON THE PLANET.

bytch nikka HAD NO PROBLEM
DIPPING IN THAT DESCENDANT
OF THE TULSA MASSACRE THOUGH.
:devil:
:evil:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

That's why I don't feel Dr. M needs to have been protected in this show... protected from what? What Reeves said was true and was a knock on Dr. Manhattan. Heroes and even Gods are not without their faults.

I think what he did do in seemingly pass his powers down to Angela is give the power to someone who will use it for positivity and vast changes to make a world a better place