Official Tokyo 2021 Olympics thread

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
NBC had no problem building up these swimming cacs from the cookie cutter white family . It seemed they all had a 5 min story and photos of them as kids and majority flopped

For black track athletes? Where’s the five minute montage on Sydney and dahlia? Mu? Lyles? Knight? Gabby Thomas?

Sydney and Dalilah had one

concise

Veteran
Daps
I was reading earlier this year that these games will pretty much make or break whether Peacock breaks even. Peacock was suppose to launch with the Olympics opening but they the pandemic pushed it back.

Edit: I think you still have to have a cable or YouTube TV/Hulu TV sub to get those NBC Sports app streams.

:merchant: Yikes.

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah it's totally unfair :scust: other female athletes should speak against this shyt.
Pretty sure Mboma and Masilingi won't be allowed to compete in Paris24

They were born female/girls. It's not their fault. Blk men generally have higher testosterone than most others, so women are the same.

Civilisé

Rookie
Daps
But there IS a line drawn somewhere. 10 nmol/L. I don't get what y'all don't understand about that.

The issue is that Castor could pass that line, so they moved it to 5 nmol/L just for her events. That's the obvious bullshyt I'm talking about.

Is it unfair for men whose testosterone is at 10 nmol/L to have to compete with men at 40 nmol/L? Is it unfair for 5'6" men to have to compete against 7' tall men? Is it unfair for swimmers with stubby feet to have to compete against swimmers with elongated arms and feet, for for gymnasts with big heavy body types to have to compete against small compact gymnasts? Is it unfair that Kenyans/Ethiopians have lighter shin bones for a distance advantage while west Africans have more fast twitch muscle fibers for a sprinting advantage? Is it unfair that many endurance athletes have higher red blood cell counts than other people, or better natural lung capacity?

There are advantages all over the place. Just being intersex doesn't make you world-class - Duttee Chand is India's greatest intersex sprinter yet she couldn't even qualify for the 2021 Olympics, and I don't recall any intersex American sprinters ever defeating the elite women. Yes, it's an advantage, but no larger than many other advantages out there.

My point is that the testosterone test alone is not enough. It's arbitrary and does not catch the complexity of intersexuality. The committee should implement additional physical check ups to identify this condition. But it will be controversial and intrusive. Again, the committee knew Semenya was not born female (she had testes) and they had to draw the line somewhere while protecting her privacy. So I don't see the BS, just bad communication.

Agreed, high testosterone does not necessary mean better performance, just like lighter bones does not guarantee you a medal in long distance. But here we are not just talking about some advantages, we are talking about another category of people. Intersex athletes should not compete with women or men because it defeats the purpose of having gender categories. An heavyweight boxer should not fight with a feather because there are weight categories. Even tho the feather may defeat the heavyweight.
Look at the 200m finale, there were already 2 intersex athletes out of 8. If nothing is done in the future and the finale become 100% intersex, this would be a joke.

There are advantages all over the place. Just being intersex doesn't make you world-class - Duttee Chand is India's greatest intersex sprinter yet she couldn't even qualify for the 2021 Olympics, and I don't recall any intersex American sprinters ever defeating the elite women. Yes, it's an advantage, but no larger than many other advantages out there.

The thing is, developed countries have the privilege to manage the condition from an early age with doctors and psychologues, while in poor countries they cannot afford the treatment and let male features develop too much.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Have to say, Ese Brume was looking kinda cute rocking her natural hair during long jump finals. Well done for rocking your hair and getting bronze.
_119719997_gettyimages-1234412547.jpg

Ese-Brume.jpg

medium_2021-08-03-5244e10a95.jpg

Here's what BBC Naija Pidgin has to say about her

shes cute

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
My point is that the testosterone test alone is not enough. It's arbitrary and does not catch the complexity of intersexuality. The committee should implement additional physical check ups to identify this condition. But it will be controversial and intrusive. Again, the committee knew Semenya was not born female (she had testes) and they had to draw the line somewhere while protecting her privacy. So I don't see the BS, just bad communication.

Agreed, high testosterone does not necessary mean better performance, just like lighter bones does not guarantee you a medal in long distance. But here we are not just talking about some advantages, we are talking about another category of people. Intersex athletes should not compete with women or men because it defeats the purpose of having gender categories. An heavyweight boxer should not fight with a feather because there are weight categories. Even tho the feather may defeat the heavyweight.
Look at the 200m finale, there were already 2 intersex athletes out of 8. If nothing is done in the future and the finale become 100% intersex, this would be a joke.

The thing is, developed countries have the privilege to manage the condition from an early age with doctors and psychologues, while in poor countries they cannot afford the treatment and let male features develop too much.

:leon: