Official Tokyo 2021 Olympics thread

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
NBC put everything in gymnastics and swimming. Women's track has many compelling stars and the main channel was showing handball during the women's 100 final

That’s been NBC’s strategy forever now. They can dramatize the gymnastics, even if we lose and our only real competition in swimming is another English speaking country in Australia, so they can bribe the Olympic Committee to move finals to American prime time.

Edit: From a network exec standpoint, why show a race that an American might not even medal in?

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
ain’t mad at him, like I said, until the US cares about its track athletes the way the rest of the world does, including having the right financial incentives, I don’t blame people for repping other countries
Beyond the financial accolades, while these countries don't have the money of the US the recognition is often crazy,
beyond money they get land, houses, cars, stadiums named after them and statues. That single gold medal means a lot. It's never been something America had to worry about, they topped the medal count anyway.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
ain’t mad at him, like I said, until the US cares about its track athletes the way the rest of the world does, including having the right financial incentives, I don’t blame people for repping other countries

NBC does horrible coverage as well
I’d be doing like nbc invitationals putting it on peacock or something

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
That’s been NBC’s strategy forever now. They can dramatize the gymnastics, even if we lose and our only real competition in swimming is another English speaking country in Australia, so they can bribe the Olympic Committee to move finals to American prime time.

While track is the premier event

Is there even a diamond league sort of thing for swimming or gymnastics?

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who do y'all think is going to get more press :mjpls: for their medal.

E73eWP3XoAI7vD6

or

E73hk4OXIAEPZMS
Tbf to Gabby 200m is a flagship event. Harsh on Athing but :francis:

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
While track is the premier event

Is there even a diamond league sort of thing for swimming or gymnastics?
Really good question. I think at one point Phelps was making good money because of endorsements and appearances. Not sure if they make anything beyond their Olympic salaries.

Can you imagine a gymnastics or swimming league :ohhh:?

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Elaine is 29. She has one more Olympics in her. In fact she may be still be able to peak in Paris....

concise

Veteran
Daps

Edit: From a network exec standpoint, why show a race that an American might not even medal in?

:dwillhuh: Because some of us want to see who the actual best in the world is?