Official The New Edition Story Thread

Daps
They made the right decision by dropping Bobby at the time. He seemed like a loose cannon hell bent on ruining his life and talent

• Dap
Reactions: flo

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't even know, as disastrous that Home Again Tour itself was I doubt it. But they did perform Hit Me Off live at the BBMAs

They're covering the HeartBreak Tour also?!?

I need to know how that went, Bobby Brown was on top of the world and he opened for New Edition on that tour. Poor non singing Al B Sure was performing in between NE and Bobby and eventually started calling in sick :mjlol:

Thats NE version of the story, the real version is Bobby opened for Al B Sure! who opened for NE and Bobby only got 25 mins was bring this energy and band playing fast

New Edition and AL B were getting smoked off that stage couple that with the fact that Bobby's singles and album were flying up the charts as New Edition heartbreak album stalled(Sorry bricked) and Al b single weren't doing what bobby's singles were doing.Bobby and Al Haymon decided to start his own tour in march 89 of that yr but since the heartbreak tour was so successful and New Edition needed to do another leg they convinced Bobby who was the selling point that he would get 45 mins AL b would open for him and also bobby would close with New Edition performing Mr. Telephone Man and Bobby ended up getting paid headliner price

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They're covering the HeartBreak Tour also?!?

I need to know how that went, Bobby Brown was on top of the world and he opened for New Edition on that tour. Poor non singing Al B Sure was performing in between NE and Bobby and eventually started calling in sick :mjlol:

Thats NE version of the story, the real version is Bobby opened for Al B Sure! who opened for NE and Bobby only got 25 mins was bring this energy and band playing fast

New Edition and AL B were getting smoked off that stage couple that with the fact that Bobby's singles and album were flying up the charts as New Edition heartbreak album stalled(Sorry bricked) and Al b single weren't doing what bobby's singles were doing.Bobby and Al Haymon decided to start his own tour in march 89 of that yr but since the heartbreak tour was so successful and New Edition needed to do another leg they convinced Bobby who was the selling point that he would get 45 mins AL b would open for him and also bobby would close with New Edition performing Mr. Telephone Man and Bobby ended up getting paid headliner price

audioBoom / Chris Rock and ?uestlove on a MAJour Thanksgiving Juan Ep!!!!!

Chris Rock did 'Juan Epstein podcast' a couple of years ago. Go to listen to 37 minutes in and listen to about the 40 minute mark. Chris Rock talks about during a comedy opening for this tour. he tells it the same way @krazykid18 tells it about Bobby stealing the show

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that album sold 4 million copies :martin:

nikkas like you kill me it didn't reach double platinum til 1994 but now it sold 4 million copies GTFOH.

I'm keeping it 100 with you i know mad cats in the NE circle i am keeping it real with you the NE heartbreak LP was a disappointment for MCA they put a lot of money into getting Jam and Lewis off Control to produce it, and Bobby blew right thru them check the singles after If It isn't love nothing else hit the pop charts for NE, and also Heartbreak didn't get double platinum til 1994. I'm giving you true history not revisionist history Bobby smoked them so bad and wasn't going to do the second leg of the tour and Al Haymon Juanita Stephens Busby and Silas had to sit him down and beg him since it was alot of tension and Al B got dikked in the end and made to open.

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
nikkas like you kill me it didn't reach double platinum til 1994 but now it sold 4 million copies GTFOH.

I'm keeping it 100 with you i know mad cats in the NE circle i am keeping it real with you the NE heartbreak LP was a disappointment for MCA they put a lot of money into getting Jam and Lewis off Control to produce it, and Bobby blew right thru them check the singles after If It isn't love nothing else hit the pop charts for NE, and also Heartbreak didn't get double platinum til 1994. I'm giving you true history not revisionist history Bobby smoked them so bad and wasn't going to do the second leg of the tour and Al Haymon Juanita Stephens Busby and Silas had to sit him down and beg him since it was alot of tension and Al B got dikked in the end and made to open.
nikka shut up... I LIVED the experience of the album and it was HUGE all the way to 1990. :martin: back then singles didn't have to top Billboard 100 to be a damn success. I don't care who you know in the NE circle. I know EVERYBODY was banging that album from 1988 to close to 1991 and this from the wiki let's you know just what type of impact it had
Reception
Professional ratings
Review scores
Source
Rating
Allmusic
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_empty.svg.png
[8]
Los Angeles Times
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_empty.svg.png
[9]
Richmond Times-Dispatch (favorable)[10]
The Rolling Stone Album Guide
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_empty.svg.png
11px-Star_empty.svg.png
[11]
Washington Post (favorable)[12]
Commercial performance
Heart Break peaked at numbers twelve and three on the US Billboard 200 and R&B Albums Chart respectively, selling 500,000 copies by August 19, 1988.[13] On September 28, 1988, it was certified platinum in sales by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), following sales in excess of 1 million copies in the United States.[13] After sales of 2 million, it earned double platinum certification from the RIAA in July 1994.[13] The album has also earned international sales of four million copies. Heart Break spun off five hit singles: "If It Isn't Love", "You're Not My Kind of Girl", "Can You Stand the Rain", "Crucial", and "N.E. Heart Break".

Influence
Many have called this particular album the most seminal New Edition album. Four fans from Philadelphia in particular were inspired by one of the songs on the album. Ironically, "Boys to Men", the song that Johnny Gill hated recording, ended up becoming the name of the group who changed their name to Boyz II Men.[6] The group would end up being managed and mentored by Michael Bivins. Boyz II Men names New Edition as one of their most influential bands. The album also saw a successful concert tour for the group as well. Through 1988 and 1989, New Edition toured all over the world with opening acts, ex-New Edition member Bobby Brown (who had also found big time success with his breakthrough album, Don't Be Cruel) and Al B. Sure!.[5]

R&B group Jagged Edge named their sophomore album J.E. Heartbreak as a tribute to Heart Break.[14]

Kliq_Souf

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
WOL

I wasn't alive during the time, but I think the hits on that album were not huge crossover songs like Cool it Now and Telephone Man...

If it Isnt Love is the big hit there
Can You Stand the Rain, Boys to Men, NE Heartbreak is like hood classics, not pop classics...
While Bobby had all the hits by his self

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka shut up... I LIVED the experience of the album and it was HUGE all the way to 1990. :martin: back then singles didn't have to top Billboard 100 to be a damn success. I don't care who you know in the NE circle. I know EVERYBODY was banging that album from 1988 to close to 1991 and this from the wiki let's you know just what type of impact it had

You sound emotional you want a hug hood classics but they were getting smoked by B Brown and made them change their whole stage show 4 singles after If It isn't love and none even passed 90 on the billboards you can say what you want but it stalled and NE was getting killed on stage by Bob and Guy that is facts

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
You sound emotional you want a hug hood classics but they were getting smoked by B Brown and made them change their whole stage show 4 singles after If It isn't love and none even passed 90 on the billboards you can say what you want but it stalled and NE was getting killed on stage by Bob and Guy that is facts
Clown you said the album stalled/bricked...I replied it didn't and it had impact. Nuff said :yeshrug:

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Clown you said the album stalled/bricked...I replied it didn't and it had impact. Nuff said :yeshrug:

Now we playing semantics it stalled the singles didn't crack the top 50 while Bobby singles were all top 10 Billboard 100 hits they stalled you can claim impact or whatever but on their own tour they were second headliners on the tour after they had to open for Bobby Brown Budweiser Superfest.

It aint a big deal homie, we both going to be watching the film and enjoying it if done right.