Official The Many Saints of Newark Thread

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
:russell:It's just gon be another excuse to shyt on black folks. No doubt they gon make nikkas look like cardboard cutout stereotypical dumb asses while the greaseball eye-talians are shown as tough and intelligent with codes and "values".
If the way Black people in the Sopranos were depicted is any indication, you're probably right. I know that entire Sopranos series almost as well as the back of my hand and even though I love it, I can count on one hand the amount of Black characters in that show who werent thugs, robbers, delinquents, pieces of shyt or cartoon caricatures.

NYC Warrior

Dat ole real sh*t
Daps
Reppin
BX
If the way Black people in the Sopranos were depicted is any indication, you're probably right. I know that entire Sopranos series almost as well as the back of my hand and even though I love it, I can count on one hand the amount of Black characters in that show who werent thugs, robbers, delinquents, pieces of shyt or cartoon caricatures.

I made a thread on it a while back:

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/the-sopranos-the-portrayal-of-blacks.599948/

Real

Daps
Reppin
Under Your Skin
I can only think of the minister, the minister's dad and the guy who did the HUD scam wit tony

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
...the greaseball eye-talians are shown as tough and intelligent with codes and "values".

I’m rewatching it now (I'm almost done w/ season 6A) and idk...I’m seeing a whole level of intentional humor that I did not pick up on when I first watched the series close to 15 years ago...there’s a lot of nuanced irony/coincidences that highlight just how ignorant/uneducated and outright childish this set of goombah gangsters are...there are a lot of ironic moments were they reference negative racial/cultural stereotypes only to see those stereotypes actually perpetuated by a lot of the italian characters...same thing w/ the codes/values that they repeatedly break/shyt on...honestly if I was a “wise guy” I’d be a bit insulted by the sopranos...I have a whole new level of appreciation for the show...first time I marathoned it I looked @ it only as a drama but there are some heavy comedic elements to it...I’d even go so far as to call it satire after reading david chase’s description of the show not just being classified solely as a drama but a comedy as well

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

yes this scene was infuriating initially...but the irony is the next guy she hooked up w/ was an italian who was known by the family and they were all excited about him initially...except he represented all the negative stereotypes that tony attributed to her biracial ex-boyfriend...so much so that the mother even mentioned the daughter was better off staying w/ the first guy...the italian guy ended up being such a colossal fukk up that tony indirectly sanctioned a hit on him...ironically black guys were blamed for it but the audience of course knows what really transpired

NYC Warrior

Dat ole real sh*t
Daps
Reppin
BX
I’m rewatching it now (I'm almost done w/ season 6A) and idk...I’m seeing a whole level of intentional humor that I did not pick up on when I first watched the series close to 15 years ago...there’s a lot of nuanced irony/coincidences that highlight just how ignorant/uneducated and outright childish this set of goombah gangsters are...there are a lot of ironic moments were they reference negative racial/cultural stereotypes only to see those stereotypes actually perpetuated by a lot of the italian characters...same thing w/ the codes/values that they repeatedly break/shyt on...honestly if I was a “wise guy” I’d be a bit insulted by the sopranos...I have a whole new level of appreciation for the show...first time I marathoned it I looked @ it only as a drama but there are some heavy comedic elements to it...I’d even go so far as to call it satire after reading david chase’s description of the show not just being classified solely as a drama but a comedy as well

white and non black audiences don't think that deep and the writers know it. Thats why they got scenes of black men in prison taking shyts and old black homeless women pissing in the street. anything to show us in the most disgusting light possible. Even the way some of the black characters in the series talk is way off.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
god I hate having to go to Newark.

Im typing this reply from Paterson.
:sadbagmj:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
I saw they were shooting at night between Broad Street and Brandford Place when I was coming back from work last couple nights, Newark brehs would know what I’m taking about. I’m still:ohhh: at the fact Newark has become a place to shoot movie scenes now.

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
:mjlol: nikkas in here getting giggly over this shyt. Literally 90% of black people in the sopranos are caricatures/minstrel like in nature. This movie will most likely be no different. Will probably have nikkas crying in the corner acting like a stereotypical rapper from the early 2000s or some shyt while the Italians are shown as multilayered characters with the ability to turn "off and on" their "thugness".

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
:russell:It's just gon be another excuse to shyt on black folks. No doubt they gon make nikkas look like cardboard cutout stereotypical dumb asses while the greaseball eye-talians are shown as tough and intelligent with codes and "values".
This