Official The Batman Thread

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
https://www.moviemaker.com/the-batman-matt-reeves-detective-story/2/

“I wanted to do a story in which the corruption of Gotham was one of the most important aspects of the story, because Gotham is a sick place. Bruce is desperate to try and make a change,” says Reeves. “He’s still stuck, to be honest, emotionally stunted at being 10 years old, because that’s a trauma you don’t get past—witnessing your parents murder in this place.
Reeves notes that from the first appearance of Batman — Detective Comics #27, published in May 1939 —creators Bob Kane and Bill Finger presented him as a noir figure, in line with the other hard-charging detectives of the novels, comics and films of World War II and the postwar era.
This idea of a place that is corrupt, and you try to swim against the tide in order to fight against it and make a difference, is quintessential Batman. And at the center of those noir stories is almost always the detective, right? And that’s why he is the world’s greatest detective. And so this story is, in addition to being almost a horror movie, and a thriller, and an action movie, at its core, it’s also very much a detective story. It’s very narrative.”

Wright concurs: “Matt built an architecture within his script that was extremely well-considered.”

Pattinson was impressed that all the detective talk wasn’t just lip service.

“In the first meeting, he was saying, we want to lean into the ‘world’s greatest detective aspect,’ and be a detective noir movie,” he says. “And, you know, normally when directors say that, they just do like
a mood board, and it’s just about the imagery. But I read the script, and it is! It’s a detective movie. It happens all the time in the graphic novels, but it’s always kind of on the backburner in the movies.”

The film noir of the 1930s and ’40s was a major point of reference for Roman Polanski’s 1974 neo-noir Chinatown, in which Jack Nicholson’s cynical private detective, Jake Gittes, realizes that Los Angeles is even more crooked than he imagined.

Reeves says Selina helps Bruce realize how much he’s taken for granted.

“It takes a very special safety net to even be able to do what he’s doing. Yes, OK: He’s risking his life, but he’s risking his life in the way that only someone who has all the resources that he has can do. He absolutely has privilege, there’s no question. He was born with privilege. He is a descendant of city royalty.

“I wanted him to have an awakening of sorts where he would question her about what she was doing,” he says. “And she says, you know, I don’t know who you are. But whoever you are, you obviously grew up rich.”

Colin Farrell’s Oz, who prefers not to be called The Penguin, is the shady proprietor of The Iceberg Lounge, a Gotham underworld hangout, doing the bidding of reclusive crime lord Carmine Falcone.

“There’s a certain amount of brokenness in Oz that, I think, as a reference, not for me performance-wise, but just emotionally, as a reference for Matt — I think Fredo from The Godfather was a bit of a reference,” says Farrell.
The Batman script, Pattinson explains, finally embraces the madness. “There’s an element in the other iterations of the story where Bruce goes off, does his training, masters himself and then comes back to Gotham as a fully realized character and the delineation between Bruce and Batman — the public Bruce, the private Bruce, and the Batman Bruce — are very contained and he can control them more easily,” says Pattinson. “And in this, the lines have totally blurred. His self as Bruce is sort of disintegrating.”

Last edited:

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Missouri Highway Patrol mistakenly sends Batman-themed alert

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Missouri State Highway Patrol alert sent cellphones blaring statewide: Authorities in Gotham City, Missouri, were searching for a purple and green 1978 Dodge 3700GT.

But there is no Gotham City, Missouri, and the car referenced was the one used by the Joker in the 1989 “Batman” movie. Soon after the Tuesday evening alert, the patrol sent another saying to disregard it.

In a brief news release, the patrol said a routine test of Missouri’s Blue Alert system was inadvertently transmitted statewide. The system is meant to let the public know when a police officer is killed or seriously injured in the line of duty.

“During the test, an option was incorrectly selected, allowing the message to be disseminated to the public,” the news release stated. A message left with patrol on Wednesday seeking additional information wasn’t immediately returned.

this state is ignant. :martin:

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
fukk that noise, I'll watch it in the comfort of my couch at the time I want to, eating, drinking and smoking whatever I want.

Movie theaters are a thing of the pass for me, I get a much better experience at home
Nah man, for blockbuster movies - the whole movie theater experience is GOATED!!! :ahh:

*I still don't particularly care for this movie though*