Official The Batman Thread

KillbertArenas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
PG - Maryland
THIS FILM TAKES PLACE OUTSIDE THE DCEU...just like nolan's, it's already been said

I get that and its been noted by the studio.

So why the need for caps...

My whole premise stems around capitalism, so if this movie does crazy well, I could see them re-creating the DCEU around the film

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
THE BATMAN Director Matt Reeves Shares His Surprising Comic Book Inspiration For His Brutal Take On The Hero
THE BATMAN Director Matt Reeves Shares His Surprising Comic Book Inspiration For His Brutal Take On The Hero
Talking during last night's stellar DC FanDome panel for The Batman, director Matt Reeves shared his main comic inspiration for the movie, and it probably won't be what you're expecting. Check it out...
Josh Wilding | 8/23/2020
Filed Under: "The Batman"

177798.jpg

Up until this point, most fans have assumed that The Batman will take inspiration from comic books like "Year One" and "The Long Halloween," and while that's certainly still possible, co-writer and director Matt Reeves actually singled out a very different title during the movie's DC FanDome panel.

Asked specifically which comic books have influenced The Batman, Reeves indicated that Darwyn Cooke's Batman: Ego inspired much of what will end up on screen.

"I wanted to get into the mindset of the character, and I wanted to think of the psychology," he explained. "For me, I think one of the cool deep dive ones was Ego. He's confronting the beast that is Batman and it's that kind of duality. There's a lot in what it's trying to do in the story about him confronting the shadow side of himself and the degree to which you have self knowledge."

"You're able to understand his motivations, but Batman [is broken] and why he's doing all of these things for the reasons that he thinks is right and that have a heroic sort of grounding in them," Reeves continued. "There's also many things that are driven by the parts of himself he doesn't yet know, and so I would say that that kind of sort of psychological union, that sort of version is very much connected to the vision from Darwyn Cooke's Ego."

We're clearly going to explore Batman's damaged psyche in this movie, and what's interesting about Ego is that it sees Bruce Wayne and Batman come head to head over their past. Based on the way the Dark Knight acted in that trailer for The Batman, he's a man on the edge and definitely has some anger issues.

Are you excited for Reeves' take on the Caped Crusader?

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
THE BATMAN Trailer Officially Released; Matt Reeves Drops Plenty Of New Details At DC FanDome
THE BATMAN Trailer Officially Released; Matt Reeves Drops Plenty Of New Details At DC FanDome
After that leak a little earlier today, The Batman trailer has been officially released online, and you need to watch this one in HD! Director Matt Reeves, meanwhile, has shared plenty of new details...
Josh Wilding | 8/22/2020

177793.jpg
"I'm Vengeance."

The first trailer for The Batman is finally here, and it certainly lives up to expectations. During the movie's DC FanDome panel, director and co-writer Matt Reeves dropped plenty of hints about what fans can expect, confirming that only around 25 - 30% of the movie was shot when filming was halted in March.

With that in mind, it's pretty amazing to think that we even have a trailer, and Reeves earlier explained that The Batman follows the Caped Crusader in his second year as he attempts to investigate a series of murders tied to the history of Gotham City and his family. However, at this point in his vigilante career, "he's trying to figure out what he can do to change this place...he is not having any of the effect he wants to have yet."

Reeves confirmed that Selina Kyle is not Catwoman at this point, while "Oz" hates being called Penguin (Colin Farrell is completely unrecognisable in the role). Even The Riddler is only just beginning to find his footing, and Andy Serkis' Alfred Pennyworth also promises to be unlike anything we've seen on screen before now according to the filmmaker.

Chinatown and Taxi Driver were among Reeves' inspirations, and it definitely sounds like we can look forward to a whole new take on Batman.

Robert Pattinson is #TheBatman. Watch the #DCFandome Teaser Trailer now. pic.twitter.com/vhRXE7YlCA

— The Batman (@TheBatman) August 23, 2020

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
THE BATMAN's Gotham City Is Going To Look Unlike Anything We've Seen On The Big Screen Before
THE BATMAN's Gotham City Is Going To Look Unlike Anything We've Seen On The Big Screen Before

Talking during this weekend's DC FanDome, The Batman director Matt Reeves explained how he's bringing Gotham City to life in the reboot, and it sounds unlike anything we've seen on the big screen before...
Josh Wilding | 8/24/2020

177818.jpg
Gotham is obviously a huge part of the Batman mythos, and every filmmaker has had a different take on the crime-ridden city. Now, all eyes are on director Matt Reeves to see what he brings to the table in The Batman, and it sounds like we can expect a unique take on Gotham when the movie is released next October.

"The nature of what this place is and the history of it is critically important to our story," Reeves said during DC FanDome on Saturday "One of the things that I really wanted to do because it is the center of the story, especially the history of corruption in the city, was I wanted to present it in a way that was really fleshed out. I wanted it to feel like an American city you'd never been to."

"The Burton one had very, very theatrical, beautiful, beautiful sets, and Nolan had the version that he created in Batman Begins, and that was a particular thing and then parts of Chicago and parts of Pittsburgh. What we're trying to do is create a version of it that you haven't seen before."

It was then that Reeves spoke about the benefit of shooting The Batman in the UK, after explaining that it would be too obvious to use New York City's Times Square as Gotham Square ( fans would realise that the Big Apple is doubling for the fictional location).

"The idea is to go to Liverpool," the filmmaker said of the English city, "where there's all the foundation of the Gothic architecture, and then add all of the more modern structures in through CG, but in a way that when you see the movie, now that I've blown it, of course, I've told you what it is, but you'll be like, 'Hey! Where's that city? Where do they shoot?' and so, the aspect of Gotham and realizing it has been for me one of the great pleasures in getting to mount the movie."

Clearly, Reeves has some very interesting and exciting ideas for Gotham City, and the trailer pointed to him delivering a dark new take on the iconic comic book location. With shooting only around 30% of the way finished, it could be a while before we actually get to see what this version looks like.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

My whole premise stems around capitalism, so if this movie does crazy well, I could see them re-creating the DCEU around the film
Capitalism says they’ll keep doing what their current plan is though: multiverse with different stories told on different earths and everything counts. They get to have their cake and eat it too. Those who fukk with what reeves is doing will have that. Those who fukk with patty Jenkins, James wan, and potentially Andy Muschietti, etc will have that. Just like comics function

KillbertArenas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
PG - Maryland
Capitalism says they’ll keep doing what their current plan is though: multiverse with different stories told on different earths and everything counts. They get to have their cake and eat it too. Those who fukk with what reeves is doing will have that. Those who fukk with patty Jenkins, James wan, and potentially Andy Muschietti, etc will have that. Just like comics function

Good points..

Instead of attempting to copy Marvel - they can collectively right their failures by going all in on the multiverse.

Which is what theyre planning with the Flash movie.

Last edited:

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

And they can build to natural crossovers

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"You're able to understand his motivations, but Batman [is broken] and why he's doing all of these things for the reasons that he thinks is right and that have a heroic sort of grounding in them," Reeves continued. "There's also many things that are driven by the parts of himself he doesn't yet know, and so I would say that that kind of sort of psychological union, that sort of version is very much connected to the vision from Darwyn Cooke's Ego."
Robert Pattinson's Batman Boosts Darwyn Cooke's Batman: Ego on eBay
His successful pitch included 14 pages that eventually would be published in 2000 as Batman: Ego. Described by Cooke as "What if Batman and Bruce Wayne were able to sit down and talk about what it is they do?", the internal dialogue of Batman: Ego between Bruce Wayne and Batman was inspired by the 1981 film My Dinner with Andre.

Batman Ego sees Batman tracking down the Joker through a henchman Buster Snibbs, only for Snibbs to commit suicide, knowing that the Joker will know he betrayed him. Bruce Wayne is consumed by guilt and decides to retire his alter ego, but instead divides his mind into competing narratives, his Batman Id versus his Bruce Wayne Superego.

They debate their shared history, Bruce's childhood, Batman's beginnings, and the rise of Gotham's supervillains. Batman refuses to be retired, and decided that they must kill the Joker. Bruce Wayne refuses. After much psychological torment, the two halves reach a compromise, Bruce Watne will accept the guilt and responsibility of Batman's crusade, as long Batman can accepts he must stand for hope as well as fear. As The Joker escapes again.

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps

They cant, just like nolan's batman, that wanted to keep it grounded, so in that universe probably no superpowered beings exist

The flashpoint will reset the old DCEU to the DECU with Superman, shazam, black adam, flash,aquaman, wonderwomen, and batgirl with old micheal keaton batman running point...think "nick fury in the MCU" there wont be young batman in the new DCEU, an superman will take on the "the hulks" role in MCU but in DCEU meaning he will show up an be impactful in other DC movies but no standalone

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I can't count how many times I've seen this trailer. That sound score and that element gives me crow vibes. This batman would've been good with Leto's joker.

I actually think Leto's Joker could've been good in the right movie. I like the idea of a gangster-Joker with henchmen and shyt. It needs to be nuanced so it doesn't come off as campy, but it could've worked.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Good points..

Instead of attempting to copy Marvel - they can collectively right their failures by going all in on the multiverse.

Which is what their what theyre planning with the Flash movie.
I mean... isn’t this the exact same reason the multiverse/Crisis in Infinite Earths was made? Clean up continuity after four decades.

It’s the most DC thing they could do.

KillbertArenas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
PG - Maryland
I mean... isn’t this the exact same reason the multiverse/Crisis in Infinite Earths was made? Clean up continuity after four decades.

It’s the most DC thing they could do.

Yep...

If done right - it can be genius and would make the MCU seem one-dimensional..

:ohhh: