Official Stanley Kubrick, GOAT director discussion

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I don't care how many times you are supposed to watch EYES WIDE SHUT...it was not a good movie. Doesn't change Kubrick's status as a genius director but it is a bit of a blemish on an otherwise amazing filmography.

saw it the other day..i really enjoyed it. :manny:

Ive actualy seen almost all his movies the past 2 months. Like others have said his cinematography skills are mindblowing. 2001 really looks like it could be a modern film for the most part minus the gorilla suits. Clockwork orange cinematography was nuts too

The music in his movies was always great too.

Its a shame he died before we really saw what he could have done with modern tech. I'm sure he would have made AI a much better movie. :pacspit:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
:what:

I understand if you don't like it like his other movies but how is it in any way a bad film?

The pacing was interminably slow and at its core the movie was just very superficial and overly reserved with a high level of pretention in pretty much every fiber of every scene.
And I didn't think Cruise and Kidman did their best work in this movie at all.
It looked fantastic but as a complete movie it was deeply flawed and lacking.

Poppa_Dock

:gladlebron:
Daps
Reppin
Banana Town
i actually think all his movies are good except clockwork orange, i never liked that POS movie for some reason.

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
I'm still working my way through his filmography. So far I've seen

Dr. Strangelove
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

Next up on my list is Barry Lyndon, then The Killing.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thats what makes him such a great director, the attention to detail. His scenes are long compared to most films and thats what most people complain about. He really does immerse you in the movie with the attention to detail.

tom cruise was complaining about kubrick shooting the same scenes over and over

:smugbiden:

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
The pacing was interminably slow and at its core the movie was just very superficial and overly reserved with a high level of pretention in pretty much every fiber of every scene.
And I didn't think Cruise and Kidman did their best work in this movie at all.
It looked fantastic but as a complete movie it was deeply flawed and lacking.

The irony of that statement. :russ: Care to read your comment again Breh?

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I'm still working my way through his filmography. So far I've seen

Dr. Strangelove
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

Next up on my list is Barry Lyndon, then The Killing.

I'm still of the opinion that he slept through Barry Lyndon. Even though it's a beautifully shot and well acted movie. He really wanted to do Napoleon. All of his financiers pulled out on the project though. Barry Lyndon is pretty much the scraps of his pre-production on Napoleon. So I don't think his heart was fully in it.

The Killing is pretty good. It's the one I saved for last.

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
I'm still of the opinion that he slept through Barry Lyndon. Even though it's a beautifully shot and well acted movie. He really wanted to do Napoleon. All of his financiers pulled out on the project though. Barry Lyndon is pretty much the scraps of his pre-production on Napoleon. So I don't think his heart was fully in it.

The Killing is pretty good. It's the one I saved for last.

Good look. I didn't know all that.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Its a shame he died before we really saw what he could have done with modern tech.

Even though he used many new techniques I get the feeling he would've been saying "film > digital" and if he wanted he could've made a CGI heavy film when he was alive.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Been on a Kubrick kick lately and been :wow: this dude was truly a genius.

I had seen a lot of his movies when I was 18 or younger: Spartacus (though honestly I was so young I don't remember shyt about it besides the iconic I'm Spartacus scene) Dr. Strangelove, Lolita, the 2nd half of 2001: A Space Odissey, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut.

Last weeks I spotted The Shining on MAX and finally watched it...incredible fukking film. Was so :wow: I decided to go back and check ol' Stanley's filmography and it has not disappointed.

2001 is :mindblown: shyt could be released in 2023 and the only thing it doesn't hold up are the monkey suits. How the fukk he pulled that shyt off in 1968 is unreal. Not sure what post-1990 film maker did something that could compare to that achievement @FlyRy any ideas breh :jbhmm:

Clockwork continues to be a :demonic: masterpiece, it holds up incredibly well by current standards as well.

FMJ a top 3 war movie and arguably the GOAT.

I'ma rewatch Lolita next, then Dr. Strangelove and Spartacus.

Legit eager to watch The Killing, Barry Lindon and Paths of Glory for the first time :blessed: