Official Stanley Kubrick, GOAT director discussion

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Who do you guys view as the modern Kubrick, if you had to choose?

Aronofsky? Fincher? I kind of feel like if you fused these two together it would be close. The cinematography of Fincher mixed with the mood/darkness of Aronofsky :manny:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I don't care how many times you are supposed to watch EYES WIDE SHUT...it was not a good movie. Doesn't change Kubrick's status as a genius director but it is a bit of a blemish on an otherwise amazing filmography.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Who do you guys view as the modern Kubrick, if you had to choose?

Aronofsky? Fincher? I kind of feel like if you fused these two together it would be close. The cinematography of Fincher mixed with the mood/darkness of Aronofsky :manny:
cinematography wise he reminds me of ridley scott

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Question about the ending of Eyes Wide Shut :

At the end of the movie when Dr. Hartford goes home to find the mask from the ceremony on his pillow next to his wife, and he wakes her up, starts crying, confessing "ill tell you everything.." did she find the mask & put it there to confront him or did the members of the cult enter his house while she slept & placed it there to warn him against making any further inquiries?

This movie is such a mind fukk it's hard to tell whether or not it was a move by the elite at the party to remind him that they are everywhere. Another theory is that Nicole Kidman is actually at the party. Best thing about this and all of his movies is that there is no clear cut explanation, the viewer is left to draw his own wild conclusions. That my friends is what defines the vast majority of his films as art and not your run of the mill "flick". Do yourself a favor and read the Kentroversy Papers on EWS, it sheds light on the insane amount of symbolism found all throughout the film. The whole movie is like one big dream sequence...

The Kentroversy Papers

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
2001, The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut are the Kubrick trifecta to me. I saw those during formative years as a young one (between maybe 12-16 yrs old). I dont even know how I ended up seeing 2001, my aunt had a dish at her place and I just...watched it and didnt switch the channel. Really changed my perspective and I had no idea what cinematography or Stanley Kurbrick was...
:heh:

Eyes Wide Shut is one of my favorite films ever and I never really get tired of watching it. The journey that Cruise goes through...There are so many theories and ways to analyze what it all means. Basically, sexuality affects us and the world around us, in very disturbing ways

Ive seen pretty much everything now and Kubrick is Top 5 DOA in my books. I can see why someone wouldnt want to sit and watch one of his flicks, but to flat-out not respect his craft is craziness

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As much as I love Kubrick he definitely isn't my favorite director. His cinematography game and attention to detail blows my mind though.
:whoa: Lets not discredit his cinematographers like Kubrick did it all himself. Geoffrey Unsworth did a good job helping Kubrick bring 2001 to life

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Not to toot my own horn or anything but in the Spielberg is the greatest director thread....
http://www.the-coli.com/3372168-post109.html
Kubrick

Period.

Special mention Leone.

With that being said. Body of work...no one comes close.

Even his earlier stuff like The Killing and Lolita stand the test of time. The themes are still relevant. The direction is fresh.

Kubrick is the GOAT. He's the director that every director strives to be like.

Just ask Jackson and Spielberg. Hey...just look at Spielberg bringing A.I. to the screen and now finishing up Napoleon. That says it all.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
No one mentioned Clockwork Orange or The Killing?

That's because most of The Coli hasn't seen any of those movies.

Not to insult anyone here. But I'm guessing that Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining, and maybe Full Metal Jacket is as far as most in here have gotten. Not ALL! But most.

Speaking of....Full Metal Jacket is the best War movie EVER. Period. :ohlawd:

That entire movie is about the loss of innocence. But most people just look at the surface layer. Kubrick was making a comment on the United States and society. This nikka was DEEP!

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No one mentioned Clockwork Orange or The Killing?

One of my favorites to watch whilst enjoying some really good ganj. That movie transports you a seemingly surreal, alternative form of reality. Matter of fact, that movie is like psychedelic shroom trip without having to consume any caps

:ohhh:School me on The Killing though...

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Best thing about Kubrick's genius is that tons of people from our generation are now privy to his abilities and recognize his greatness. I can sit down and have spirited, in depth conversations with my pops about Clockwork and 2001 -his two favorite movies ever. There is very little else in the entertainment world outside of certain literature that someone from my generation and someone from my Dad's generation (born in the 50's) can come together and have a collective appreciation for.

Dr.HannibalLecter

Tha Realest
Daps
That's because most of The Coli hasn't seen any of those movies.

Yeah, I bet most people here haven't seen A Clockwork Orange. Such an underground film and not at all a cult classic and hipster favorite :wig:

Apocalypse Now >> Full Metal Jacket btw