AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
First marvel L calling it now
You're a cool dude but
DescriptivePerkyBullfrog-small.gif

Don't put that shyt in the air. Marvel will never lose.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Kevin Feige Teases 'Shang-Chi' on 'Avengers: Endgame' Press Tour

Come July, Marvel Studios' Phase 3 will wrap up with Spider-Man: Far From Home but beyond that, the future is still uncertain. Sure, there have been reports of various movies heading into production but the studio has yet to confirm a single film past Far From Home. One of those rumored projects is Shang-Chi, a movie featuring Marvel's martial arts maestro.

On a press tour stop for Avengers: Endgame in China, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feigeteased the introduction of a Chinese Avenger in the coming years, boosting hope that the Shang-Chi film will be one of the projects announced for a post-Avengers: Endgame world.

"This is not an Endgame question, this is a question about the future," Feige said in response to a fan question. "I'm not supposed to answer questions about the future but in this case, I will because the answer is yes."

In a separate interview earlier in the week, Feige called the prospects of a Shang-Chi film "very intriguing" to the studio, saying the film will be very different than anything that's come before it.

“I think every movie that we do is a risk. We only want to do movies that people seem to think are risks. Doing the story of an Asian-American hero of Chinese heritage is something that is very intriguing to us. It will be really different and special,” Feige said when asked if Shang-Chi is viewed as a risky project.

“I hope audiences around the world respond to it in the same way they did to Steve Rogers... whether they have [an] American flag or not. It’s about the individual storyline, spectacle and adventure that come with Marvel Studios movies.”

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Marvel's Shang-Chi Reportedly Gets a Production Designer

Development continues moving right along on Shang-Chi, with the production reportedly hiring a production designer to board the project. According to Production Weekly, Marvel Studios has tasked Sue Chan to begin working on the film. Chan is best known for being production designer on the Anne Hathaway-starring kaiju film Colossal in addition to pulling art duties on both Gone Girl and 300: Rise of an Empire.

There hasn't been confirmation from Marvel Studios about the hire, but even then, the Kevin Feige-led outfit has yet to even announced Shang-Chi as an official property the production house is developing. Feige himself previously did tease the movie, however, during a stop on the press tour leading up to Avengers: Endgame.

"This is not an Endgame question, this is a question about the future," Feige said in response to a fan question. "I'm not supposed to answer questions about the future but in this case, I will because the answer is yes."

Those comments followed an interview earlier in the week where the mega-producer called the prospects of a movie featuring the Master of Kung Fu very intriguing.

“I think every movie that we do is a risk. We only want to do movies that people seem to think are risks. Doing the story of an Asian-American hero of Chinese heritage is something that is very intriguing to us. It will be really different and special,” Feige said when asked if Shang-Chi is viewed as a risky project.

“I hope audiences around the world respond to it in the same way they did to Steve Rogers... whether they have [an] American flag or not. It’s about the individual storyline, spectacle and adventure that come with Marvel Studios movies.”

Shang-Chi is set to be directed by Destin Daniel Cretton from a script by Wonder Woman 1984 scribe David Callaham.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
EXCLUSIVE: Donnie Yen, Ludi Lin On Marvel Studios 'SHANG-CHI' Short List - That Hashtag Show

It appears that Marvel Studios has begun its search for Shang-Chi. According to our source, Ludi Lin (Power Rangers, Aquaman and Black Mirror) is among the actors with whom the studio is interested in meeting to discuss the role. Though Lin’s name is the first to emerge, there is no indication at this point that he is a favorite to land the role. In fact, our source tells us that we should expect to hear more names emerge over the next couple of weeks.
Ludi-Lin.jpg

Lin’s career trajectory has led him to this opportunity. He lobbied for the role of Shang-Chi last December. Further, his recent turns in Aquaman and, most recently, Black Mirror Season 5, have gained him notoriety. His desire to lead Marvel Studios’ first Asian-centric superhero film, coupled with his extensive martial arts training have put him on Feige’s radar. It seems that he’ll soon have his chance to impress the man with the plan. We have also heard that one time Disney kid, Ross Butler, may have a chance to sit down with Feige as well.

Marvel Studios began developing SHANG-CHI in early October of 2018 when they hired writer David Callaham to pen the script. At that time, the trades reported that the studio had already begun meeting with Asian directors to helm the project. In March, Destin Cretton inked a deal to direct the project. Later, in early April, the New South Wales government revealed they had an agreement with Marvel Studios to film a major motion picture at Fox Studios. Likewise, over the past month, evidence has continued to mount that film would be SHANG-CHI.

Marvel Begins Casting Search
In late May, I revealed on my podcast that casting for the film had begun. GWW later revealed that Marvel Studios was looking for two Asian actors for the film. One would play a wise, old statesman and one of his deadliest warriors. Just last week, the studio brought Sue Chan on board as the film’s production designer. While I have been unable to confirm it, I have been told that the studio is currently targeting an early-November start of production. Given Marvel Studios known slate of films, it’s possible that SHANG-CHI will take the February 12, 2021 date. That would coincide with the Chinese/Lunar New Year.

donnie-yen.jpg

Could Donnie Yen Be in Shang-Chi?
Additionally, our source indicated to us that Marvel Studios hoped to meet with Donnie Yen for an as yet unidentified role, confirming prior reports. Yen is an icon in Hong Kong. His inclusion in the film would be be chalked up as a huge win for the project. Of course, the role Marvel Studios has in mind for him is being kept under wraps. Nevertheless, Yen certainly fits the description of the “wise, old statesman” mentioned above. (Many fans believe that role to belong to the Mandarin.)

Marvel Studios hasn’t officially revealed its post-Infinity Saga MCU slate. Notwithstanding, Kevin Feige has spoken publicly about SHANG-CHI and its importance. It is expected that it we’ll get some kind of official announcement at either SDCC or D23. Stay tuned to That Hashtag Show for more on this story as it develops.

Somebody younger should definitely get this

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
Honestly, I don’t want a kung fu super hero movie but I’m happy marvel fans are happy. The way Iron Fist has been handled makes me think Kung fu and the marvel cinematic universe don’t mix...

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
If this is just gonna be a one-off then sure, grab Donnie Yen but if they wanna do sequels they should lock in somebody younger, lest they end up in a Batfleck situation.
this bout to be china's black panther, its gonna make a billy in china alone, they def getting somebody young for the lead. id be interested in donnie yen being a villain tho...