Official Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Thread

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
I don't even understand why people "cancelled" her in the first place. Were Black people even mad? It seems a lot of hate, I saw any way, came from other races.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I don't even understand why people "cancelled" her in the first place.
From the article:
“I refuse to do accents. I’m not OK with someone writing the Asian experience for an Asian character. I make it very clear, I don’t ever go out for auditions where I feel like I’m making a minstrel out of our people.”

So basically she's based her whole career making a minstrel out of Black people. Now why wouldn't any Black person be mad?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
From the article:

So basically she's based her whole career making a minstrel out of Black people. Now why wouldn't any Black person be mad?
I think what he is saying most Black people are unaware of this or don't care therefore she was never actually cancelled. It is mostly an internet thing.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
I think what he is saying most Black people are unaware of this or don't care therefore she was never actually cancelled. It is mostly an internet thing.
Twitter isn't real life. I never even saw her thing as being a blaccent or whatever that is. Her whole shyt is being loud and obnoxious. Whoever wants to call that talking black is the one that is racist. WTF. She's from Queens. Everyone here talks the same way.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Twitter isn't real life. I never even saw her thing as being a blaccent or whatever that is. Her whole shyt is being loud and obnoxious. Whoever wants to call that talking black is the one that is racist. WTF. She's from Queens. Everyone here talks the same way.
nah, she's from forest hills queens, they dont talk like that, it's definitely an act of some sort.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
nah, she's from forest hills queens, they dont talk like that, it's definitely an act of some sort.
But is the act "black"? She's got an old lady raspy voice. My voice gets raspy when I drink and I find that I have to get LOUD in order to be heard. I just think it's weird to call her thing black. I never seen her style as being black. Her dress style, hair, whatever. I feel like I knew dozens of these girls in HS.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But is the act "black"? She's got an old lady raspy voice. My voice gets raspy when I drink and I find that I have to get LOUD in order to be heard. I just think it's weird to call her thing black. I never seen her style as being black. Her dress style, hair, whatever. I feel like I knew dozens of these girls in HS.
It's certainly not her nature environment, it's an act. Whatever her act is, it isn't natural. It is at the very least hypocritical given her stance on not doing accents and then doing an accent at the same time, whatever that accent may perceived to be by others

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
It's certainly not her nature environment, it's an act. Whatever her act is, it isn't natural. It is at the very least hypocritical given her stance on not doing accents and then doing an accent at the same time, whatever that accent may perceived to be by others

What about “product of environment”

Like people that live in the south, have southern accents with southern twang.

People in north have northern accent with almost a Brit like twang

:yeshrug: Region doesn’t discriminate against race

Not for nothing I knew an Asian dude that grew up in Georgia and talks mad country….. Like Lil Scrappy or something. I don’t think he trynna do an accent or fake it…. He the product of his environment

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

Not for nothing I knew an Asian dude that grew up in Georgia and talks mad country….. Like Lil Scrappy or something. I don’t think he trynna do an accent or fake it…. He the product of his environment
Basically, she talks like a NYer which to some comes off as a Blacent.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That's exactly it, she grew up in forest hills queens, very white, jewish, chinese area of queens. And knowing people from that area, you would know right away what they're supposed to sound like and I can tell you that her "Accent" isn't real, also considering her interview where she speaks normally is vastly different. So I can get why people are calling her out for her hypocrisy.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
That's exactly it, she grew up in forest hills queens, very white, jewish, chinese area of queens. And knowing people from that area, you would know right away what they're supposed to sound like and I can tell you that her "Accent" isn't real, also considering her interview where she speaks normally is vastly different. So I can get why people are calling her out for her hypocrisy.
I grew up in all areas of Queens. Elementary in Woodhaven, JHS in Ozone Park South Jamaica Queens, HS was in Brooklyn. Girlfriend was in Lower East Side so I was there a lot. My crew was split between Forest Hills peeps and Corona. I lived 5 minute walk from Lefrak and Elmhurst. My first apt was in Astoria across the street from Ravenswood. Bro, the whole hood thing is bunk. We everywhere. And point out the thing she does that's black? Her whole shyt is being annoying and sassy. Anyways, I don't even wanna defend her. I'm not defending her but people are getting too damn sensitive over nothing. Like just stop thinking too hard. It's not that serious. It's like 1% of the people out there find offense to every little thing and blow it up. Let there be some diversity. What's art if boundaries can't be pushed a bit?