[Official] [PS5] Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth. Feb 29th 2024. NO SPOILERS

DripSzn

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New York
I mean, why should anyone have to adapt to playing a lesser version of something else just for the narrative? The whole point of playing a game is the because its interactive, if the newer experience improves upon the actual game aspect what purpose does the older version serve?

GTA 5 is not just graphically superior to San Andreas its mechanically superior. It plays better, it has more content, it looks better, its more accessible. You might like San Andreas because you have nostalgia tied to it but you’re not gonna tell someone to play that over GTA 5 thats like 16

shyt, even GTA 5 is retro at this point, its a 7th gen game
Doesn't matter. We grew up on these games, so if we enjoyed them at 1 point, we can enjoy them again :yeshrug:

People are too spoiled and don't know how to appreciate things for what they are.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I mean, why should anyone have to adapt to playing a lesser version of something else just for the narrative? The whole point of playing a game is the because its interactive, if the newer experience improves upon the actual game aspect what purpose does the older version serve?

GTA 5 is not just graphically superior to San Andreas its mechanically superior. It plays better, it has more content, it looks better, its more accessible. You might like San Andreas because you have nostalgia tied to it but you’re not gonna tell someone to play that over GTA 5 thats like 16

shyt, even GTA 5 is retro at this point, its a 7th gen game

I mean BOOKS are a thing still. You wouldn't ONLY read things on a screen because it's "mechanically superior". Also, we aren't talking about CoD or GTA. I'd wager the VAST majority of people who play Final Fantasy do so because of the story. The gameplay is just another vehicle from which that story is told. So yes, people CAN look past graphics and mechanics and just enjoy an experience.

San Andreas is superior as a work of art to GTA 5 not because of graphics but because of context. What it did with the hardware available, the writing & voice acting. The Art direction (which I STILL think is much better than any of the GTA games after it) and its story are flat out better. That has nothing to do with nostalgia, accessibility or "content". GTA 5 is also a horrible example because it's a transcendent peice of art, but because it's POPULAR doesn't mean it's BETTER. It just hit the zeitgeist at the right time. Many games are like that.

But there's plenty of people who've gon back and played the old Final Fantasy or Street Fighter games and found excitement and value in them.
And on top of that, there are aspects of older game design that people might just perfer. I.e. people losing their shyt over XVI not being turn-based.

New has not always equaled better. Look at Street Fighter 5.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean BOOKS are a thing still. You wouldn't ONLY read things on a screen because it's "mechanically superior". Also, we aren't talking about CoD or GTA. I'd wager the VAST majority of people who play Final Fantasy do so because of the story. The gameplay is just another vehicle from which that story is told. So yes, people CAN look past graphics and mechanics and just enjoy an experience.

San Andreas is superior as a work of art to GTA 5 not because of graphics but because of context. What it did with the hardware available, the writing & voice acting. The Art direction (which I STILL think is much better than any of the GTA games after it) and its story are flat out better. That has nothing to do with nostalgia, accessibility or "content". GTA 5 is also a horrible example because it's a transcendent peice of art, but because it's POPULAR doesn't mean it's BETTER. It just hit the zeitgeist at the right time. Many games are like that.

But there's plenty of people who've gon back and played the old Final Fantasy or Street Fighter games and found excitement and value in them.
And on top of that, there are aspects of older game design that people might just perfer. I.e. people losing their shyt over XVI not being turn-based.

giphy.webp

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
thee more they talk about zack being in this game the more im :francis:

I just don’t see how FF7 multi-verse is gonna work and be satisfying.

Daps
Reppin
The Caribbean
I have a huge feeling they're gonna retcon Aerith's death which fans will be split about. It's one of the most classic and iconic moments in the franchise. Zack not dying is kinda 'meh' to me

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I have a huge feeling they're gonna retcon Aerith's death which fans will be split about. It's one of the most classic and iconic moments in the franchise. Zack not dying is kinda 'meh' to me

Nah, I think she still dies. I just think she dies differently or in a way we don't expect OR the 2nd game becomes about PREVENTING her death and in game 3 it happens anyway.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No they will not. That death is still the most notable thing about the original game. If they undo that they undo the core of Final Fantasy VII was. I mean it's not like this is General Leo dying this is one of the most iconic deaths in RPGs, maybe even in gaming.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
No they will not. That death is still the most notable thing about the original game. If they undo that they undo the core of Final Fantasy VII was. I mean it's not like this is General Leo dying this is one of the most iconic deaths in RPGs, maybe even in gaming.

Speak for yourself, I’d be mad if they retconned Gen Leo dying. :camby:

Theres always a major character death in an ff game

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
This is :duck: I mean technically you don’t have to play a previous game in anyseries to enjoy the sequels. I played God of War 2018 and Ragnarok and never played the OG trilogy. :yeshrug:

However, you’re definitely doing yourself a disservice if you don’t play Remake and even more if you didn’t play the OG. :mjlol: Remake was my first FF7 and I enjoyed it but didn’t really understand and appreciate it until I played the OG this year. For example when I saw the ending scene with Zack I was kind of confused and didn’t know who tf he was. After playing the OG and Crisis Core Reunion and looking back that scene was insane and changes the entire dynamic of the story.

Someone that didn’t play the previous games can never really appreciate the Remake.
Only played the remake and when I did play the OG FF ironically I stopped playing right where the remake ends so I understood everything up to that for the most part...I kept saying I'd get crisis core but keep forgetting to cop it...

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps

Who's losing it over 16 not being turn based ?? FF never going back to turn based...15 should of been the writing on the wall for nikkas...that's exactly why they dropped that damn pixel collection