Daps
Reppin
Portsmouth, VA
Salute Jukebox
Salute Marv for his efforts
Kanan ...smh...you could have wiped the blood on your jeans breh
of course this nikka didn't have any love for his own son with a moms like Raq

Still Team Unique, but how did his guy know the law was looking at him
the only person that saw the jacket at that time was the smoker?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
in my opinion, Raising Kanan has slightly better and acting and cinematography than the OG power.

if you notice, the Kanan has a 'film' look to it. Maybe theyre using better cameras this time around or upped the production budget.

as far as the acting goes there hasnt really been any shytty acting moments like OG power when Angela couldnt cry when she saw greg dead, the baby always changing age or Raina's bad acting period..

Raising Kanan is well put together, i dont know if thats due to 50 growing as a producer or the studio just putting in more work :ld:
This shyt way better than OG Power and OG Power is way better than Power book 2

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
This episode was cool, got better half way through.
My question is why the CGI if this was shot in NYC?

I'm not noticing a lot of CGI (other than the weird street signs), but this show is set 30 years ago so it makes sense if they're editing out anything blatantly "modern".

Weird thing about the street signs:
It looks like they're often inserting "fake" street signs with the actual names of the streets where they film the scenes.
I was just messing around on google maps and did a Streetview of an intersection shown onscreen in the opening scenes. Kanan threw the gun in the pond here:
Google Maps

GN5bQxC.png

So it looks like they actually filmed this at the exact real life spot where the scene takes place, plus lots and lots of fake CGI graffiti to give it that gritty, urban, 1990's NY look that audiences would expect to see.

But what's weird to me is that they CGI'd in a fake looking street sign...that says the same thing as the REAL street sign in the same location.
I guess once they started putting in fake street signs, they looked so different from the real signs that they had to start replacing real signs in order to make they consistent with their existing CGI signs.

Man On Fire

All Star
Daps
Reppin
nyc
Raq got problems

Howard still alive
Kanan’s blood on the jacket
Marvin locked up by Toni which means he gets fingerprinted and can lead back to Unique’s hotel room and jacket
Lou Lou wants out
Symphony, who is this guy really?
Burke more than likely finds out the truth about Kanan and Howard relationship
Joaquin and Dean
Nicole’s death investigation by Parents into Jukebox
D Wiz’s brother (Breeze ?) is still out there

Daps
in my opinion, Raising Kanan has slightly better and acting and cinematography than the OG power.

if you notice, the Kanan has a 'film' look to it. Maybe theyre using better cameras this time around or upped the production budget.

as far as the acting goes there hasnt really been any shytty acting moments like OG power when Angela couldnt cry when she saw greg dead, the baby always changing age or Raina's bad acting period..

Raising Kanan is well put together, i dont know if thats due to 50 growing as a producer or the studio just putting in more work :ld:

They used an Arri alexa plus for power, the quality was there. The cinematography or visuals you’re describing in raising kanan is the distinct look they were going for.

Power Book III: Raising Kanan DoPs Use Cooke S7/i Lenses to Recreate ’90s
Staff

On the set of Power Book III: Raising Kanan

In the 1990s, almost every DP in New York was using the Cooke Optics S4/i for commercials, music videos, and independent features, according to Aaron Medikk, one of the DPs on Power Book III: Raising Kanan.

Medikk also became lead DP in the second season for Power Book II: Ghost after starting as B camera/Steadicam operator and moving up to DP for Power, which launched the franchise for cable and streaming service Starz. So, it should come as no surprise – as many of the DPs on the franchise came from New York, including Power lead DP Tim Ives, ASC who also shot the pilot – that the Cooke S4/i would come to the original series and continue on with the rest of the franchise.

Medikk explains, “Tim Ives is an amazing cinematographer. He gifted all of the Power DPs that followed him the Cooke Look®. It’s what we were all shooting with in New York. We all loved the size, the look with its warmth, softness, and great skin tones. That’s how the S4 became the lens for Power. But for Power Book III: Raising Kanan, we were going to be shooting in a larger format, so it was natural for pilot DP David Franco to go for the S4/i’s bigger brother for large formats, the S7/i Full Frame Plus. Especially considering that Raising Kanan is a prequel that takes place in South Jamaica, Queens in New York during the early 1990s. The S7/i gives us that same 1990s look we would get from the S4/is back in the day.”

Power Book III: Raising Kanan chronicles the early years of Kanan Stark, the character first played by executive producer Curtis “50 Cent” Jacksonin Power. As a franchise, many of the DPs worked on more than one of the series, especially with episodes of Power Book II: Ghost and Power Book III: Raising Kanan in production at the same time, plus some would find themselves moving up in the ranks.

“We are all a really big family that moves around a lot in the Power franchise,” Medikk adds. “I started as a B cam operator on Power, by the third season I was A cam, and by season five I was bumped to DP.” That parallels Hernán Otaño, one of the DPs for Power, who got his first directing gig during season four with David Francostepping in to DP. In Power season five, Otaño and Medikk started working as director and DP together and have since shot five episodes in the Power-verse.

Shot using one set of Cooke S7/i, with different Raising Kanan episodes using different focal lengths, on two SonyVENICE at 5.7K, there are times when the S4/i would make a guest appearance.

“For episode 104 of Raising Kanan, we used the Cooke S7/i 25mm, 32mm, 40mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm and 150mm lenses,” explains Medikk. “But we also used a 180mm Cooke S4/i, as it matches perfectly with the S7/i. We use what works best. Although we generally don’t shoot cross coverage, if we need a matching lens or another camera, we would go back to ARRI and get it for that day.”

Each series has a specific look, according to Medikk. “Power is current time with a more saturated and hyperreal look to show off the wealth of the city’s elite. Ghost continues on that theme, but with a younger feel as Ghost’s son goes off to college. But Raising Kanan is a throwback that stays true to the feel of the early 1990s.”

“It’s always about the image. Creatively, shooting for the look of the 1990s is freeing,” said Medikk. “There’s all the mixed color temps. I have full control to give viewers that subconscious familiarity with a nostalgic look we’ve all seen from music videos and films of that era. I mix all the light sources: green fluorescents on a face, using old bulbs – hoping the dying bulb makes it through the scene. Plus, we have LED technology to help embrace and recreate all the mistakes that we now use in beautiful ways. Add in complementary colors from wardrobe and makeup with African American skin to fold the light into, and it’s just great. It really feels like that time and era.”

Medikk doesn’t have any specific “go to” lens, but finds he uses the 40mm most often due to the large format – it’s similar to a 32mm in Super 35 – for handheld use. “I like the feel of being up close for singles. It’s long enough so it’s not distorted. The 32 and 40 from Cooke are nice for that.”

All three series in the Power franchise are available on Starz. Power Book III: Raising Kanan and Power Book II: Ghost are also continuing production, with Seasons One and Two, respectively.

Al photos courtesy Starz — supplied by Cooke Optics.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Kanan fukking up as usual. Dude had all the potential and threw that shyt away.

Lou Lou being the early Ghost. The only once with sense and sees where shyt is going. Wants to get out the game but his peoples won't let him leave.

Famous still being out of place and annoying as fukk. I thought those people in the other car were gonna shoot at him. :mjlol:

Symphony. :skip::mindblown::dahell: I thought she was calling her mom at first, but no it's Mr Clean Up Man who she constantly disrespects for no reason at all, but he's at her beck and call when she gets into some shyt. "I'm only calling you cos I got nowhere else to turn". :dead: I would have told her "bytch, I'm fukking college hos like you suggested. FOH and lose my number". :rudy:Instead this dumbass gonna risk losing everything by being an accessory of a crime for a super toxic broad who talks to him any old way and doesn't even like him. :heh:

I really thought Unique was about to kill his babymother. I'm actually gonna miss his character.

I knew Howard wasn't say gonna who shot him, that was obvious. That chick screaming in his face asking who did when dude just literally gained consciousness though. :dwillhuh:

Girl who played Jukebox really channeled that adult version well. I kept thinking about that scene in OG Power when she held punk ass Tariq hostage. She really sees through him and everybody else and is obviously growing faster than he is. Like she said, everything is gonna stay with them now. fukked up thing is, it didn't even have to be that way. She might catch her first body in season 2.
Raq's demonic smile at the end looking like Michael Jackson at the end of the Thriller video. :mjlol:

I hope Breeze gets introduced in season 2 whoever he is.

Omerta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OZ via El Barrio
Episode 8 and 9 were the best, but the finale was good too.

Again, as I said before, every major character in this...you want them to win.

Marv, Juke and Unique the MVPs for season 1.

Best Power season since the original Power s2.

Book 2 is popcorn, cool laid back shyt like a Summer flick, but this shyt can be a classic series. Man, if they hit more on this level with Tommy series (which has a legit cast btw)...then 50 is set.

Omerta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OZ via El Barrio
Btw...I know this has been said and it's in hindsight as they never expected to go down this path...

But how the fukk do Kanan kill Juke???

I know, I know. It doesn't affect the quality of this show....but man, they deserved a better ending. At this point, just for my dumbass emotions...make them reveal that Juke has a less likable twin that Kanan popped ..fukk, anything. Juke and Kanan relationship is dope af.

Luken

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto/ Jersey / ATL / LA / Panoramic Roofs
They used an Arri alexa plus for power, the quality was there. The cinematography or visuals you’re describing in raising kanan is the distinct look they were going for.

Power Book III: Raising Kanan DoPs Use Cooke S7/i Lenses to Recreate ’90s
Staff

On the set of Power Book III: Raising Kanan

In the 1990s, almost every DP in New York was using the Cooke Optics S4/i for commercials, music videos, and independent features, according to Aaron Medikk, one of the DPs on Power Book III: Raising Kanan.

Medikk also became lead DP in the second season for Power Book II: Ghost after starting as B camera/Steadicam operator and moving up to DP for Power, which launched the franchise for cable and streaming service Starz. So, it should come as no surprise – as many of the DPs on the franchise came from New York, including Power lead DP Tim Ives, ASC who also shot the pilot – that the Cooke S4/i would come to the original series and continue on with the rest of the franchise.

Medikk explains, “Tim Ives is an amazing cinematographer. He gifted all of the Power DPs that followed him the Cooke Look®. It’s what we were all shooting with in New York. We all loved the size, the look with its warmth, softness, and great skin tones. That’s how the S4 became the lens for Power. But for Power Book III: Raising Kanan, we were going to be shooting in a larger format, so it was natural for pilot DP David Franco to go for the S4/i’s bigger brother for large formats, the S7/i Full Frame Plus. Especially considering that Raising Kanan is a prequel that takes place in South Jamaica, Queens in New York during the early 1990s. The S7/i gives us that same 1990s look we would get from the S4/is back in the day.”

Power Book III: Raising Kanan chronicles the early years of Kanan Stark, the character first played by executive producer Curtis “50 Cent” Jacksonin Power. As a franchise, many of the DPs worked on more than one of the series, especially with episodes of Power Book II: Ghost and Power Book III: Raising Kanan in production at the same time, plus some would find themselves moving up in the ranks.

“We are all a really big family that moves around a lot in the Power franchise,” Medikk adds. “I started as a B cam operator on Power, by the third season I was A cam, and by season five I was bumped to DP.” That parallels Hernán Otaño, one of the DPs for Power, who got his first directing gig during season four with David Francostepping in to DP. In Power season five, Otaño and Medikk started working as director and DP together and have since shot five episodes in the Power-verse.

Shot using one set of Cooke S7/i, with different Raising Kanan episodes using different focal lengths, on two SonyVENICE at 5.7K, there are times when the S4/i would make a guest appearance.

“For episode 104 of Raising Kanan, we used the Cooke S7/i 25mm, 32mm, 40mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm and 150mm lenses,” explains Medikk. “But we also used a 180mm Cooke S4/i, as it matches perfectly with the S7/i. We use what works best. Although we generally don’t shoot cross coverage, if we need a matching lens or another camera, we would go back to ARRI and get it for that day.”

Each series has a specific look, according to Medikk. “Power is current time with a more saturated and hyperreal look to show off the wealth of the city’s elite. Ghost continues on that theme, but with a younger feel as Ghost’s son goes off to college. But Raising Kanan is a throwback that stays true to the feel of the early 1990s.”

“It’s always about the image. Creatively, shooting for the look of the 1990s is freeing,” said Medikk. “There’s all the mixed color temps. I have full control to give viewers that subconscious familiarity with a nostalgic look we’ve all seen from music videos and films of that era. I mix all the light sources: green fluorescents on a face, using old bulbs – hoping the dying bulb makes it through the scene. Plus, we have LED technology to help embrace and recreate all the mistakes that we now use in beautiful ways. Add in complementary colors from wardrobe and makeup with African American skin to fold the light into, and it’s just great. It really feels like that time and era.”

Medikk doesn’t have any specific “go to” lens, but finds he uses the 40mm most often due to the large format – it’s similar to a 32mm in Super 35 – for handheld use. “I like the feel of being up close for singles. It’s long enough so it’s not distorted. The 32 and 40 from Cooke are nice for that.”

All three series in the Power franchise are available on Starz. Power Book III: Raising Kanan and Power Book II: Ghost are also continuing production, with Seasons One and Two, respectively.

Al photos courtesy Starz — supplied by Cooke Optics.

nice this answers all my questions.

YoNoSe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dope season.

Marv and Unique did a great job. My two favorite characters. Lou was good until getting sonned by Raq.

Kanan is an idiot but a loyal one. Since scrap gave him that co-sign he’s going to be on another level now

Juke and Raq should be nominated for an award. Great acting by the both of them.