Official Power Book II: Ghost Season 1 Thread

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Disagree. That’s lightskinned. I feel like a lot of y’all are that complexion and don’t like being called lightskinned so y’all come up with these weird justifications for why you’re not. If it was the 1800s some white slave owner would be trying to buy her because she looked exotic or she’d be in the house.

:dahell:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
She’s a red bone. That’s light skinned. She’s certainly not darkskinned. She’d be in the house 200 years ago. If she went over to Africa, in most countries there, she’d be called colored or white.

82682488.jpg

beyonce is light skin
mary j blige is not

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Disagree. That’s lightskinned. I feel like a lot of y’all are that complexion and don’t like being called lightskinned so y’all come up with these weird justifications for why you’re not. If it was the 1800s some white slave owner would be trying to buy her because she looked exotic or she’d be in the house.
This is 2020 and she’s not light skin, I’m light skin and Mary is easily 3-5 shades darker. Faith Evans, tisha Campbell, Paige Hurd, beyonce...they are light skin. Just because someone ain’t viola davis dark doesn’t make them light.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
how the hell is tariq gonna get 480k in a week though :dahell:, study for school and write a paper on moby dikk :dahell:

if this dude can get 480k in a week why the hell does he need any of ghost trust fund money
HE MIGHT GET FRONTED 450K
THAT HE EVENTUALLY HAS TO PAY BACK.

SIMON STERN FOR EXAMPLE
:devil:
:evil:

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is 2020 and she’s not light skin, I’m light skin and Mary is easily 3-5 shades darker. Faith Evans, tisha Campbell, Paige Hurd, beyonce...they are light skin. Just because someone ain’t viola davis dark doesn’t make them light.

Disagree but this is getting silly :yeshrug: all those people you naming are either mixed or have recent mixed heritage. Most real black people aren’t gonna be Faith Evans complexion. She has an Italian father. Doesn’t mean people darker than her aren’t also lightskinned. There’s VERY FEW countries someone with MBJ complexion can go to in Africa where she wouldn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Disagree but this is getting silly :yeshrug: all those people you naming are either mixed or have recent mixed heritage. Most real black people aren’t gonna be Faith Evans complexion. She has an Italian father. Doesn’t mean people darker than her aren’t also lightskinned. There’s VERY FEW countries someone with MBJ complexion can go to in Africa where she wouldn’t stick out like a sore thumb.
we're not in africa, this is the US and she's not light. there are plenty of two black parent light skin black folks, i'm one of them. but yes, this is silly, mary j blige is the epitome of medium complexion/brown skinned

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
we're not in africa, this is the US and she's not light. there are plenty of two black parent light skin black folks, i'm one of them. but yes, this is silly, mary j blige is the epitome of medium complexion/brown skinned

Lol right. My youngest twin girl is light skinned and my wife and i are dark skinned. She looks like my wife and her twin resembles me. It happens

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

hell both my parents and my sister are light skin but i'm as dark as naturi naughton

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
She’s lightskinned. If you gonna have a PR father then the kids need to be between their skin tones. No white PR father gonna have a full black looking son.

I agree/dapped about the PR father part, but Mary is neither dark or light. Its outside of America where she would fall into what your talking about, places like the DR where she would get some favoritism for not being dark/be considered light.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
Like everybody else, I came in with low expectations. A Tariq-centered show has a very high chance of failure, but this first episode was pretty good. Even though it's a spin-off, it feels like a continuation of the original series.

One thing I'm noticing is that despite Tariq being the main character, he's not going to be the reason people tune in. The writers and producers know this, which is why they have all these other characters getting storylines. I know Power had several different characters, but it was always Ghost's show. The world of the show revolved around him. I don't think this show is going to do the same thing because Tariq is already one of the least interesting characters they have right now, but that's one of the only ways they can salvage it.

Also, is it me, or is this show more self-aware than Power was? A lot of ridiculous, over-the-top shyt happened on that show, but most of the time, the characters just accepted it without even acknowledging it. Already in this episode, there were scenes where the teacher was pointing out how weird it was that Tariq was already in college, Saxe's brother predicting that Saxe will do something stupid to embarrass the family, and then Tariq didn't understand the motivations behind the main character in "The Stranger," kinda like we don't understand his motivations. They should have more scenes like that.

Overall, this episode did enough to make me interested in watching more, but I don't want to overrate the show or trash it yet. I need to see how things play out over the next few episodes.

I said to my wife Sunday that i hope that as Riq gets deeper in the drug game and elevates his status, the writers start making his chatacter appreciate and understand the moves and decision his dad had to make and bring it all full circle.

The samething you mentioned about the book Riq had to read is the same thing my wife said...there's gotta be a connection that eventually reveals itself as this spinoff goes on

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I said to my wife Sunday that i hope that as Riq gets deeper in the drug game and elevates his status, the writers start making his chatacter appreciate and understand the moves and decision his dad had to make and bring it all full circle.

The samething you mentioned about the book Riq had to read is the same thing my wife said...there's gotta be a connection that eventually reveals itself as this spinoff goes on

I hope that happens too. It's the only way Tariq's character can be saved.