Official NOPE Thread

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
I don't even think this movie was a masterpiece but how they hell can you say it barely had suspense? :mjtf:
It was the same shyt for 2 hours. A ufo flying over a ranch and them running away hiding:russell: ….The Gordy scenes were the closest we got to some real suspense. The UFO turning out to be an actual being was trash. This shouldn’t even be classified as a horror. I’d take “Signs” and “Fire in the Sky” over this.

And the ending was horrible. They tried to make it feel triumphant with her getting the perfect picture but it felt so empty. Like why am I supposed to give a fukk. That whole plot was ridiculous. There was nothing remotely scary about this movie. Last 30 minutes was downright horrible.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I can't believe this movie is so polarizing to people :mjlol:

It's also not nearly as deep as people make it out to be :mjlol:

And the Akira reference at the end...why:mjlol:

Gordy needs his own movie. That shyt was beautifully shot and unsettling :wow:

I would have much preferred the movie be about Steven Yue character and how he learned about the Mach 5 Ness Monster and tried to build a show around it :ehh:

Xavier

Iconic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where Kings Will Dream
I can’t believe I listened to brehs on here again and didn’t see this day one. Smdh :snoop:

Having finally seen the movie, Peele is 3/3 for me. :blessed: This was his most straightforward film.

I blame Marvel. Brehs now need to be damn near spoon-feed and have their hand held just to understand and process simple themes and concepts in non-MCU films :francis:

I should’ve stuck to my own advice to always ignore critics and just see the damn thing myself, after I seen brehs saying Tenet was trash :dahell:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
My wife was telling me this morning about how she thinks this movie's message was about being tokenized / being exploited

-Glen, the asian just being concerned with putting the alien on show despite all that was going on around him even after being spared by gordy

-Kaluuya not wanting his horse to perform for the production crew and only being concerned with his and its own comfort

-Palmer for being unapologetically herself and making it to the end unscathed

-Racially ambiguous Fry guy had a layer of protection that got him spit out

-White guy going out in the whitest way possible

-Gordy not killing adolescent glen probably because they only saw each other though a divider

-The alien dropping tokens after eating and not wanting to be looked at.

Last edited:

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
Not at all pointless. The movie was about a spectacle. It shifted shape and flashed colors for people to have no choice but to look at it. It is also the characteristics of many animals and insects, even certain dangerous plants. It's called "peacocking" after how peacocks flash their colorful feathers when feel threatened or prep to attack.

That’s not what “peacocking” is, and the actual birds don’t flash their feathers when threatened or attacking.

Peacocking describes men wearing flashy shyt to stand out, primarily for a woman’s attention, similar to the birds attracting a mate

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Movie was piff.

Was also about our relationship to animals. Gordy was being used by people who didn't understand him, OJ was also protecting his horses from that. Note that he wasn't overly friendly with his horses because he truly respected/loved them for what they were and they showed him that love back.

He does the same to the alien, he respects it (unlike Jupe who tries to monetize it, or the filmmaker who just wants to use it for his art) and that's how they figure out how to kill it.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I thought it was cool.

The monkey subplot kinda lost me until I realized it's a take on animal exploitation. The cinematographer watching videos of animals being eaten, Yeun's character using the alien (love the name Jean Jacket) for money to lure people in to watch his show. Also love that the family remained together, loved the show at the end of OJ on the horse surrounded by dust.

May need to get a Scorpion King hoodie off of Etsy.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Just finished watching this film. Movie was just boring imo. The acting was very uninspiring too especially from Daniel. The movie didnt pick up until the 3rd act, but by that time I was mentally checked out and just waiting for the movie to end. I give this movie a Skip rating. Your not missing anything if you do not watch this.