Official NOPE Thread

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Breh, this theater that were currently at is HELLA understaffed.

I snuck in here with some wings and a philly cheese steak like it nothing.....I can only imagine if someone came in here wit da stick.

Edit: It's 5 mins till this movie kicks off and they haven't even cleaned out the theater we're in.
I told my mom to get us seats away from the entrance
She got us seats right by it
I'm like what if someone try to shoot this shyt up?
She was like oh...that's what you meant:francis:

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Just getting back from seeing this, agreed it picks up momentum as the story goes along and there are some great shots.

It does have a different rhythm than his other movies, so I can see someone expecting more of a Get Out or Us vibe really wouldn't rock with it. My mom wasn't feeling it too much.

I do respect the fact he did something different with this film.

Prince Luchini

Stay dolo so thorough
Daps
Just finished it initial thoughts is it was ok. :ehh:

I enjoyed it more than "US".

But what was up with Daniel tho :what:

That nikka showed no emotion or personality throughout the whole movie. Keke was the star of the whole film to me. Jordan should of got another breh to play Daniel's role imo.

I just want to say that Akira reference was dope.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I really enjoyed it. Like Us, it ran long but the acting and story made up for it.

This was Jordan Peele’s commentary to the industry and how people view his directing career.

The animals, besides representing their own treatment, represented the treatment of black creatives.

The references to “get out”: one way to evade the alien and stay safe was to stay in shelter. Keke Palmer said she had to “get out the house” but it came at the risk of being killed. I feel this represented Peele wanting to try something out of the box and not only be known for Get Out, which is what he did with the Us and now Nope.

I also believe the first scene with Lucky was a reference to Get Out. The commercial scene when he saw his reflection and immediately bucked was similar to the flash waking up the black folks in Get Out.

The “Alien” rejecting decoy horse and the big blow up doll: I feel this represented how the general public rejected Us (i.e. a movie about decoys in a sense).

I think it also represented how the industry eats its own. It ate real horses and people, but it’s inability to distinguish real from fake was the ultimately the reason for its demise. The same can be said about Hollywood. The appetite for mindless tv and movies is killing the game.

I have some more idea that I’ll scribe out later after some thought.

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
Just finished it initial thoughts is it was ok. :ehh:

I enjoyed it more than "US".

But what was up with Daniel tho :what:

That nikka showed no emotion or personality throughout the whole movie. Keke was the star of the whole film to me. Jordan should of got another breh to play Daniel's role imo.

I just want to say that Akira reference was dope.
Accent.

Breh was struggling...bouncing between L.A. and Atlanta.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
As a fan of art, dialogue, cinematography, I can give this a solid 7/10. The ending was too artsy for me is all I'll say.

The beginning was a perfect blend of Quentin Tarantino meets Spike Lee and decides to craft sci-fi. The characters were really dope and Keke Palmer stole scenes while we cannot sleep on Kaluya and the supporting cast.

I would've love if Peele delved into Lovecraft to finish the ending of the film to create a perfect classic. It just seems like it was cut short of that.

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla
Acting performances were….odd. Keke Palmer was basically’Riley Freeman’ the entire movie…she had charisma, but was also annoying at times. Kaluuya was unusually flat. The story felt incomplete to me…almost as though huge pieces of the story were left on the cutting room floor that would’ve connected central threads in the story and made them make sense. I like Jordan Peele, but this wasn’t a great film at all. There was no sensible conclusion to anything I saw, and not enough background given to understand the motivation behind some stuff that happened. Well shot…but disappointing story to me.

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
I told my mom to get us seats away from the entrance
She got us seats right by it
I'm like what if someone try to shoot this shyt up?
She was like oh...that's what you meant:francis:

Kix1kBx.gif