Official Nas Thread

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Last year, news surfaced that Erykah Badu will be starring in the forthcoming film The Land, produced by Hip Hop legend Nas. Today a trailer dropped for the film, giving us the first look into the story of a young man in Cleveland, striving to be a professional skateboarder, who succumbs to the drug game.

This is the first project for Steven Caple Jr., who wrote and directed the film. The Land features one or two familiar faces. In the trailer, we catch a glimpse of Michael K. Williams, who portrayed Omar in the HBO series The Wire. And besides Erykah Badu, Cleveland native Machine Gun Kelly will also play a role in the film.

The film debuted at The Sundance Film Festival, and received positive reviews. It also drew comparisons to The Wire, especially the show’s fourth season, which focuses on the deterioration of public education in the US, and how it is so difficult to escape poverty when schools are so poor.

The trailer also boasts that the film new music from Nas, Kanye West, Erykah Badu, Machine Gun Kelly, Pusha T, French Montana, and Jeremih. Complex reports that Nas will be producing the sound track that will accompany the film on July 29th, the same day the movie drops.

Daps
:francis: Oh, still no new album then. Alright...it's time to put Nas up on D'Angelo status. We'll get something when we get something....but it kinda would have been nice if he would have said as much...but he's not disrespectful or arrogant towards fans like other celebrities, so I get why he doesn't want to say anything that would upset anybody.

OAN, @Life is Good, as his barber, can you let your friend/client know that he looks sexier with his hair grown out (styled or all out). Black men, especially him, are GOAT status when they embrace their natural thick locks to the world. :ohlawd:

8eId60n5LbfW0.gif

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok, no new Nas album this year, sadly... but

Got a few questions..

Whats up with the Lost Tapes 2?
Whats up with tracks from "The Land"?
Where is that Mass Appeal album? Where is the new Mass Appeal track with Nas?

@Life is Good... What up, my brother?

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
riot-fest-denver.jpg
riot-fest-chicago.jpg

Riot Fest 2016 takes place on September 2-4 in Denver and September 16-18 in Chicago. Following the revelation that the original Misfits would be performing together at the festival for the first time in decades, the initial lineup has now been announced. The lineup at the Chicago and Denver festivals varies, but the body of artists includes: Morrissey, Death Grips, Sleater-Kinney, Tyler the Creator, Vince Staples, Jane’s Addiction (performing Ritual de lo Habitual), Nas, Ween, Death Cab For Cutie, Deftones, Against Me!, Wolf Parade, Danny Brown, Yo La Tengo, the Descendents, Converge, Flatbush Zombies, fukked Up, Sleigh Bells, the Hold Steady (playingBoys and Girls in America), GZA, Andrew W.K., Joey Bada$$, Meat Puppets, White Lung, Thursday, Dan Deacon, Brand New, the Specials, Refused, Bob Mould, Converge, Method Man and Redman, GWAR, the Dillinger Escape Plan, the Hives, the Dandy Warhols, Social Distortion, Rob Zombie (performing White Zombie's Astro-Creep: 2000), and many more. Find the full list of bands here. More artists will be announced in the coming days.

Consequence of Sound

Last edited:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Ya'll tell me if y'all think Jay Z weak ass gonna drop an album before Nas does??

I feel like they're both retired (Bleek kinda hinted that about Jay when he was on the breakfast club). Jay may drop a single for Khaled or something but I dont know about all that stuff about dropping a Beyonce response album.

If Jay does drop an album when he has no need to, I dont know what Nas is doing.

I'm starting to feel like he just wants to prolong the eventual move to go indie with Mass Appeal as he doesnt want to do that this late in the game. But he's still gotta drop a final Def Jam album.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Would Rick Ross Exec Produce a Nas album?

Just about any credible rap fan has Nas secured in their Top 10 MC lists. But just as much as he is respected as a brilliant wordsmith, he has long been criticized for poor beat selection.

But what if the MC who arguably has the best ear in rap got to take the reigns for a record by God’s Son?

Blogger Lindsey India wrote that while attending Wingstop event in New York City, she asked Rick Ross if he would executive produce a Nas album.

“You know, Nas is so great as an MC. He’s a legend. So I wouldn’t even playwith that, because of course you know Rozay will fukking do it!” he responded, according to a story on India’s web site. “You know I would love to do it, but more importantly, the way Nas moves is so calculated. I feel like everything he does is perfect timing. He’s a legend, and I would love to. You know it’s whatever for the big homie.”

Love or hate Ross, his ear for beats is undeniable. Since his sophomore album Trilla, theMaybach Music Group founder has carved one of the most distinctive sounds in rap. His lush beats from J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League further catapulted the Florida trio into one of the most sought-after production groups, and his bangers from Lex Luger stand out. But he doesn’t just rely on notable names. He puts together his albums and mixtapes the way fellow Miami resident Pat Riley makes up a basketball roster: a balanced mix of luxury, brawn and reflectiveness that always ends up working well as a unit.

His collaborations with Nas have all had great beats as well, and Nas seems to always be at his best when they work together. “Triple Beam Dreams,” “Accident Murderers,” “One Of Us,” “Usual Suspects” - the duo is undefeated.

Nas would need varied sounds for his album, and he likely wouldn’t make the type of music Ross makes. But he has proven that he is at his best when a producer can help him build a sound. Illmatic, his crowning achievement, had MC Serch picking the beats for Nas to lay his rhymes over. And No I.D. helped give Life is Good its perfect blend of reflection and nostalgia. Maybe placing his album in Ross’ hand is exactly what Nas needs.

source: HipHOPDX

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lowkey, it's a nice surprise to hear Nas narrating the new Hennessy commercial, tho:ehh:

...something about a guy name Picard going to space in a rocket:ld:

And, has anybody converted those Esco instagram snippets into MP3s yet:francis: