Official Nas Thread

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Yea breh, that shyt bounces. Not a fan of Dre on the beat, kinda loses momentum. A more acrobatic rapper would have killed that. Paak sounds amazing on it because he rides that bounce perfect.

I miss THAT Premo, man. That funky Premo

Trust me. Premo is #1 all time :mjcry:

I think he might have one or two in the chamber if it was a big enough artist like Nas. Something that'd inspire him to really get back on his young shyt. But yeah, I think he's just slowing down with age.

I watched an old interview somewhere and Premo said he knew and could do all the new dances that came out. That's why it's funny when people say you can't play Premo in the club. Like... what? Have y'all heard Full Clip blasted in a club? It still sounds amazing and gets people moving.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Trust me. Premo is #1 all time :mjcry:

I think he might have one or two in the chamber if it was a big enough artist like Nas. Something that'd inspire him to really get back on his young shyt. But yeah, I think he's just slowing down with age.

I watched an old interview somewhere and Premo said he knew and could do all the new dances that came out. That's why it's funny when people say you can't play Premo in the club. Like... what? Have y'all heard Full Clip blasted in a club? It still sounds amazing and gets people moving.

There's this idealistic part of me that thinks that Nas could call up Tip, Premo, Pete Rock, Dr Dre, etc and be like "yo let's do this one more time, and do it right." And they'd all be chilling in a studio or condo vibing to records coming up with ideas while Nas sat in the corner writing rhymes. Then play him some beats and magic would happen.

But times have changed. I listen to Pete Rock beats today and wonder why he's sampling records we've heard sampled many times before. Or why Premo abandoned the funk/bounce. But they're content in life. They've made their money, now they can have fun DJing and making good livelihoods for the rest of time. Dre has the Apple thing. Really seems like Tip is the only one still doing dope shyt, but he's always with Kanye and that creative circle so it makes sense.

All that being said I still want to hear Nas over Premo again. Even if it's an interlude. For old times sake. But the majority of the production has to come from other people making dope shyt today.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
While I get what you saying, I do not wish to Nas trend hop with different styles over trap beat and Metro Boomin beats (whatever the hell that is). Thats what Jay Z does. If he did do it, I hope is stays off of his albums and just as a guest feature or some shyt.
True enough. There's a thick line between dikk riding trends and jumping on a feature or trying out new producers from time to time though. I mean it's like at some point you gotta buy some tighter jeans or risk dressing like Jordan. You don't gotta go all the way with some stretch tights but whatever you know what I mean.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I want to disagree. Premo's beats are admittedly a little dated sounding now but they're still classic. I'm a Premo stan. The MCs he works with don't make memorable songs so you don't know them.

These beats are beyond dope. C'mon...

Premo at his peak was so great it didn't matter who rhymed. Brooklyn, Queens, conscious, hardcore. Good MC. Legendary MC. shytty MC. Premo would make you check for it (that Group Home album is still... how the fukk did he pull that off?). Now? We listen because we're fans. Not because it's his best work.

Can't put it on the MCs. Premo made stars out of MCs for a long fukking time. That's why he's Premo.

Last edited:

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Premo at his peak was so great it didn't matter who rhymed. Brooklyn, Queens, conscious, hardcore. Good MC. Legendary MC. shytty MC. Premo would make you check for it (that Group Home album is still... how the fukk did he pull that off?). Now? We listen because we're fans. Not because it's his best work.

Can't put it on the MCs. Premo made stars out of MCs for a long fukking time. That's why he's Premo.

That Group Home shyt was ill and if Guru would've spit on that group of beats, that would've took Gang Starr to greater heights. Guru had clever stories and vocabulary. Right rhymes and the voice.

For Nas, I don't need all Guru but, again, Guru, Pete Rock, Statick productions should always be considered for the street single.