Official Nas Thread

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Premo hasn't really made an amazing beat in awhile. Maybe he has something dope stored for Nas/Hov/etc but I wouldn't bet on it. If they work together again I'd hope it's something funky, not the traditional modern Premo sound which is rather repetitive at this point...

Still think Nas should let Khaled or Ross pick some beats. They know what modern shyt he sounds best on.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Premo hasn't really made an amazing beat in awhile. Maybe he has something dope stored for Nas/Hov/etc but I wouldn't bet on it. If they work together again I'd hope it's something funky, not the traditional modern Premo sound which is rather repetitive at this point...

Still think Nas should let Khaled or Ross pick some beats. They know what modern shyt he sounds best on.

I want to disagree. Premo's beats are admittedly a little dated sounding now but they're still classic. I'm a Premo stan. The MCs he works with don't make memorable songs so you don't know them.

These beats are beyond dope. C'mon...

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps

:martin:

Premo made one of the best beats of 2015. As usual, so-called hip hop fans slept on it.

It's not "prime" Premo by a long shot, but it's better than A LOT of shyt. The sampled melody is gorgeous. and overall 'thrust' of the beat is great. It's just the weak snare and kicks :snoop:

then ending your statement on let Khaled/Ross pick some beats :martin: Terrible idea.

the real shyt :salute:

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Word. Salaam is mad hit or miss tho, same with LES, but Nas should never release an album without Large Pro and Premo touching that ish a few times, mainly Large Pro, I don't know why he doesn't just do a full album with him. Nas never really nails it with the typical producers, he has nothing memorable with Timbaland or Swizz or Pharell, Dre, etc...

I'm just saying that if I was NaS, every time I do an album, I would always be looking for the very best material from Large, Preme, Pete Rock, Statick, LES, No ID and Salaam for at least my deep cuts and album fillers. Perhaps some of their tracks would be selected some wouldn't but they would always be my go to team. Ever so often do you get something dope put in your lap from an unknown or whatever. Those will be considered too.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
This conversation is recycled over and over again. Same list of producers and the same comments about them made over and over again.

Nas can do many different flows. Though it wouldn't be in his character or style, I know he can rap on new different flows and beats. I'd like to hear him on some trap beats and Metro Boomin' type beats too. Not all the time but let's see what he can do on flavor of the week once in a while.

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This conversation is recycled over and over again. Same list of producers and the same comments about them made over and over again.

Nas can do many different flows. Though it wouldn't be in his character or style, I know he can rap on new different flows and beats. I'd like to hear him on some trap beats and Metro Boomin' type beats too. Not all the time but let's see what he can do on flavor of the week once in a while.

While I get what you saying, I do not wish to Nas trend hop with different styles over trap beat and Metro Boomin beats (whatever the hell that is). Thats what Jay Z does. If he did do it, I hope is stays off of his albums and just as a guest feature or some shyt.

SirBiatch

Daps
While I get what you saying, I do not wish to Nas trend hop with different styles over trap beat and Metro Boomin beats (whatever the hell that is). Thats what Jay Z does. If he did do it, I hope is stays off of his albums and just as a guest feature or some shyt.

exactly. Nas is a 'soundscape' kinda artist. Jay-Z's a "curate the hottest sounds" kinda artist. Totally different lanes. Nas's best songs have beats that paint a gritty but beautiful picture.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Word. Salaam is mad hit or miss tho, same with LES, but Nas should never release an album without Large Pro and Premo touching that ish a few times, mainly Large Pro, I don't know why he doesn't just do a full album with him. Nas never really nails it with the typical producers, he has nothing memorable with Timbaland or Swizz or Pharell, Dre, etc...

Timbaland, Pharrell and Dre are far from typical producers. I mean, Large Professor and Premo as great as they are are still capable of making forgettable music. What it comes down to is what he's going for in having a Timbaland, Swizz, Pharrell, or Dre produce a song for him. For example, that Timbaland snippet sounds promising. Nas has proven that he can make magic with whatever producer. Lost Tapes has no Large Professor or Premo productions and it's one of Nas's better projects. There's also God's Son and Life's Is Good.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
:martin:

Premo made one of the best beats of 2015. As usual, so-called hip hop fans slept on it.

It's not "prime" Premo by a long shot, but it's better than A LOT of shyt. The sampled melody is gorgeous. and overall 'thrust' of the beat is great. It's just the weak snare and kicks :snoop:

then ending your statement on let Khaled/Ross pick some beats :martin: Terrible idea.

the real shyt :salute:

Not feeling that beat for the weak drums alone :francis:

The last Premo rap beat I remember really liking was 25th Hour

The problem is how he chops his samples IMO. You know how you can listen to a sample and know exactly how Apollo Brown would sample it/how the beat sound? You can do the same with Premo now. I don't know if it's just a lack of inspiration or him working with subpar rappers now, but it's disappointing.

Maybe a Nas or Hov could light a fire under him. I noted 25th Hour for being a rap beat, but overall the best Premo beat in awhile was Animals off Compton. It has a bounce that Premo's been missing. Maybe he needs to be in the studio with a legend, listening to records. Like the old days.

SirBiatch

Daps
Not feeling that beat for the weak drums alone :francis:

The last Premo rap beat I remember really liking was 25th Hour

The problem is how he chops his samples IMO. You know how you can listen to a sample and know exactly how Apollo Brown would sample it/how the beat sound? You can do the same with Premo now. I don't know if it's just a lack of inspiration or him working with subpar rappers now, but it's disappointing.

Maybe a Nas or Hov could light a fire under him. I noted 25th Hour for being a rap beat, but overall the best Premo beat in awhile was Animals off Compton. It has a bounce that Premo's been missing. Maybe he needs to be in the studio with a legend, listening to records. Like the old days.

yeah... 2011 was the last string of dope Premo beats, and 25th Hour was a definite highlight. Since then he fell off.

and your comment made me listen to "Animals" :ohhh: Yeah man, you're right. Excellent point.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
yeah... 2011 was the last string of dope Premo beats, and 25th Hour was a definite highlight. Since then he fell off.

and your comment made me listen to "Animals" :ohhh: Yeah man, you're right. Excellent point.

Yea breh, that shyt bounces. Not a fan of Dre on the beat, kinda loses momentum. A more acrobatic rapper would have killed that. Paak sounds amazing on it because he rides that bounce perfect.

I miss THAT Premo, man. That funky Premo.