Official Nas Thread

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel like Lost Tapes 2 would be the like the first Lost Tapes in that it will feature tracks we have mostly already heard on mixtapes and B Sides to singles. When I got that album I had 11 of the 12 tracks before from bootlegs, audiogalaxy, international editions of his albums and B-sides to Stillmatic singles. The only new track was purple.
Salaam said years back most unreleased stuff that leaks is on purpose and because Nas feels comfortable putting it out. So I imagine a Lost Tapes 2 be it on Columbia or Def Jam will feature joints like What It is, Talk of NY, Foul Breeze, Like Me, Top Down...aaaaand sure enough you'll get people complaining they heard it all before (which happened with the first Lost Tapes but people werent as up on mixtapes/b-sides/mp 3s back in 02 like they are now). So I dont even know if its benefical to release a Lost Tapes

Personally I feel like anytime Statik Selektah, Green Lantern, DJ Delz or J Love dropped a Nas tape that WAS Lost Tapes. Heck, that El Darado Black project that DJ Delz dropped in January 2009 with all those unreleased Untitled tracks felt like a Lost Tapes album or those QB Finest tapes.

Because of that along with the complications of dealing with TWO labels handling his vault and an industry where it makes less and less sense to drop complilations, I think people should not hold their breath for another Lost Tapes. Matter of fact, I bet Nas' verses on No Thing as White Jesus and White Man's Paper had rhymes that he ended up spitting or re-using on other songs like he did with the Untitled and Hip Hop is Dead sessions.

You make some good points, however, the original Lost Tapes, despite having 90% of the track heard before still garnered critical acclaim and is an undisputed classic. Therefore, the fact that the tracks have or have not been heard before doesn't make. What matters is the quality of each of the tracks and the compilation as a whole. No one has heard White Man's Paper. No one has heard No Such Thing as a White Jesus. No one has heard the full version of Colors nor the Pete Rock track for Lost Tapes 2. There is 4. Statik said he had tracks done with Nas and we know of one from Swizz Beats, plus there is a rumoured track called Life is Good. I am certain there is more. now, we are talking about 7-8 unheard tracks. Package that with Snitch Alibi, Who Are You, What It Is and Top Down. There is definitely enough material for a Lost Tapes 2 from Def Jam.
The only questions would be the strength and quality of the tracks.

• Dap
Reactions: ISO

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
"They thought I'd make another ILLmatic, but it's always forward I'm moving never backwards stupid here's another CLASSIC" - NaS STILLmatic Intro

The biggest thing I love most about this 20th anniversary celebration besides the fact it completely shows this generation they haven't made Classic Material is the fact NaS is finally embracing "ILLmatic's" legacy. I think for a long time he wanted to move on from the album and didn't like the fact people overlooked his follow up albums and always brought up "ILLmatic". But I think this anniversary has opened his eyes to how much impact the album truly had even though it under performed when it came out. It's amazing it's back on the charts and is up to 1.6 Million sold. "ILLmatic" is headed to Double Platinum and that's amazing. But Props to NaS and everyone involved.

This was an amazing week of celebration and they did "ILLmatic" and us trapped in the 90's negros proud. I hope this generation sees and understands what Classic material is cause I'm struggling to see an album from this era getting this kind of role out 20 years later but we will see. I wasn't happy with Lupe doing a 5th Anniversary "Food and Liquor" album cause I felt it was premature and he needed to let the album grow more. "College Dropout" got a nice reception for it's 10th Anniversary, Hopefully Ye does a 20 year celebration cause that's the only album I feel has had lasting impact on Hip Hop in the last 10 years.

Last edited:

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
Classics never get old. Since the rerelease of Nas’ Illmatic, sales of his iconic debut have increased 844 percent.

The huge boost in sales could be due to the Queensbridge MC's month-long celebration for the 20th anniversary of his first LP, including debuting his Time Is Illmatic documentaryat this year's Tribeca Film Festival and performing the opus in full at Coachella.

This week alone, the LP reportedly moved 14,982 copies—a huge increase from the 1,588 copies that were sold last week, according to HipHopDX.

:wow:

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Been a minute since I've posted in here, but thought I'd come in here to pay homage to the GOAT after this came on in the shuffle:

I rewound his verse at least 10 times in the car - the smoothest, most effortless display of skill that I've ever heard from an emcee:ohlawd:.

I play this shyt every so often. Got damn that flow was so smooth.

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hope Nas does a track on this Clippers owner. At least a few rhymes or tweet. I love when Nas stands up for Hip Hop and makes his presence felt. Lol, Nastradamus predicted this too.

Athletes today is scared to make Muhammad Ali statements. NaS- My Generation

Last edited:

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I hope Nas does a track on this Clippers owner. At least a few rhymes or tweet. I love when Nas stands up for Hip Hop and makes his presence felt. Lol, Nastradamus predicted this too.

Athletes today is scared to make Muhammad Ali statements. NaS- My Generation

I'm curious to see what direction Nas will go with his next album sonically. He seems super focused and I have a feeling we have another classic on the way.

:ahh:

Yall gonna kill me for this but I want a song by him addressing his stupid comments about Gwen Paltrow....

as for sonically...honestly im hoping for another "Untitled" but this time with production that resonates more

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yall gonna kill me for this but I want a song by him addressing his stupid comments about Gwen Paltrow....

as for sonically...honestly im hoping for another "Untitled" but this time with production that resonates more

That was a minute ago. What you want him to say?

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't necessarily have to have an entire album on that but some slick lines here and there would be nice. Not many in hip hop can chime in on it like nas can.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That was a minute ago. What you want him to say?

Possibly tie it in to the clippers situation and just be a man and own up to the mistake and how statements like that make us look ignorant...

as for it being a "minute ago" so what...

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Possibly tie it in to the clippers situation and just be a man and own up to the mistake and how statements like that make us look ignorant...

as for it being a "minute ago" so what...

What are the odds hes going to do that? Do you think he views that as a mistake?