Official Nas Thread

H.S.

All Star
Daps
I'm glad to hear Jungle had a significant voice in the documentary. Dude is hilarious. If it's anywhere even half as good as that Tribe documentary (classic imo), I won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
One Love
NY State of Mind
Represent
Memory Lane
It Ain't Hard To Tell
The World is Yours
Halftime
One Time 4 Your Mind
Life's A Bytch

All 5/5

We Major

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
I don't think I've ever seen an album's anniversary get so much attention. Maybe I've not paid enough attention to other genres/albums or I don't listen to enough classic albums but this week has been different. Last year we had the Midnight Marauders/36 Chambers 20th anniversary in the exact same week and there wasn't even a tenth of the coverage. I think this proves just how highly Illmatic is regarded.

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
"I sip the dom p, watching Ghandi till I'm charged
Then writing in my book of rhymes, all the words past the margin"

That's not rap brehs that's the intro to a Langston Hughes poem that gets taught in class. Type of shyt where you gotta write an essay analyzing the dichotomy of man, who fancies the material pleasures in life, yet strives for spiritual purpose. Lines like this is the difference to me from rap as a product to rap as an artform.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I hope the discussion of Illmatic convinces Nas to take a similar approach to his next album in terms of production. Getting a group of great producers together to compete and come up with dope shyt is a great way to create dope shyt, as long as the songs work. Jay did something similar with MCHG but failed imo because the beats were simply out of his range. I've heard Nas praise MCHG but I hope to god he doesn't just pick a bunch of over produced, loud beats just because it worked sales wise for Jay.

Call up Q-Tip, who has proven that he can make dope modern music with "throwback" appeal. Call up someone like Jake One or Black Metaphor, who just laced Ross with some dope production. Call up the Justice League. Maybe even call Premo and see if he can come up with an intro. And get as many as these minds in the studio to just brew over records, samples, ideas, concepts, and go to work.

H.S.

All Star
Daps

The original is the best, but this is the only remix of "Fast Life" I fukks with.

:banderas:The opulence. Two of the greatest going back and forth.