Official Nas Thread

Ronald

Daps
"Whatever you do, young king, don't wind up dead/ Young queen, cross your legs/ Put a crown on your head and remove the chains/ 'Cause even diamond chains are for slaves/ Don't set foot in no penitentiary and don't taste the poison/ Don't you bail on your families"

:wow:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas

Nas, a Queens native and life-long Mets fan, will perform after the Mets-Philadelphia Phillies 7:10 p.m. game on Friday, July 19.* A hip-hop icon since the early 1990s, Nas emerged from the Queensbridge neighborhood of Long Island City, a hotbed of rap artists since the '80s. Nas has since gone on to sell over 20 million albums worldwide over the span of his legendary career and has acted as an ambassador for hip-hop culture throughout the globe. He has released nine solo albums that have been certified double-platinum, platinum or gold. Nas' new release is the critically acclaimed Life Is Good, which debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top 200, marking the sixth #1 album that the artist has produced in his career. Nas was nominated for four GRAMMY awards in conjunction with the release.The New York Mets today announced Foreigner (June 14), Nas (July 19), O.A.R. (August 2) and Third Eye Blind (August 23) will headline the 2013 Mets Concert Series at Citi Field.

The Friday night post-game performances will begin approximately 20 minutes after the conclusion of each game from a stage in the outfield behind second base.* Admission to the concert is included in the price of the game ticket.* Tickets to the Mets Concert Series and all Mets home games will go on sale tomorrow, Friday, March 1 at 10:00 a.m. at Mets.com and (718) 507-TIXX.

Foreigner, Nas, O.A.R. and Third Eye Blind to headline 2013 Mets Concert Series | mets.com: News

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Performing at a baseball game, with that crowd :scusthov:

Yeah I was a little :huhldup: when I read that.

Its kind of a good look but at the same time it really isnt.
Most of the people will probably leave after the game and they gonna have Nas out there rocking to a stadium that might be empty. Also, I know Nas is not exactly Rick Ross big anymore but fukking hell he's still doing better than those other acts in this series. (and yeah I did check the numbers lol)

But I guess you take what you can and a gig is a gig. Its just some of these concert/sports events dont always work out even if the teams think they are good ideas (Pistons and Nets getting acts to perform at halftime)

Bomani was lowkey trying to clown him about doing the Mets series and ESPN commercials on LeBatard's show on Thursday

Life is Good

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Most of the people will probably leave after the game and they gonna have Nas out there rocking to a stadium that might be empty. Also, I know Nas is not exactly Rick Ross big anymore but fukking hell he's still doing better than those other acts in this series. (and yeah I did check the numbers lol)

But I guess you take what you can and a gig is a gig. Its just some of these concert/sports events dont always work out even if the teams think they are good ideas (Pistons and Nets getting acts to perform at halftime)

Bomani was lowkey trying to clown him about doing the Mets series and ESPN commercials on LeBatard's show on Thursday

Some of you "so-called" Nas fans are just are confused & uninformed as those who hate on Nas. LOL @ Nas NOT being "Rick Ross big." Are you serious?...Nas is top 5 dead or alive, touring the globe to sold out concerts and considered hop hop FINEST Emcee with a 20 year career & still going strong. Bomani is a true clown...how can he or anyone else "low-key clown" Nas when he is getting major checks for his talent from ESPN/the Mets Organization. Bomani could only dream of doing an ESPN commercial...he better hope to continue getting guess spots on ESPN/radio shows. While Nas is getting paid to curate tours by LiveNation. I swear hip hop fans are to damn fickle & weigh too much on the side of haters.

What do you mean by "I guess you get what you can get & a gig is a gig?" Your statement sounds condescending, as if Nas is a bottom of the barrel & mediocre artist. Speculating about the stadium being empty already is suspect ...because if you are a true fan stop acting like the haters. Nas has been rocking with the Mets all his life...this is bigger than a packed stadium. Nas actually considers this an honor as a long time Mets fan/artist to be asked by the organization to perform at Citi Field.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Nas actually considers this an honor as a long time Mets fan/artist to be asked by the organization to perform at Citi Field.

My comment was more so geared towards can the majority of people who attend baseball games recite any Nas lyrics? Wasnt any indictment on him as an artist rather the demographic for this event.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Performing at a baseball game, with that crowd :scusthov:

Jay Z performed at the 2009 world series... its Baseball not NASCAR :mjpls:

So Nas performing at a baseball game shouldn't be too bad, plus Phillies - Mets is a big rivary even though the Mets are :flabbynsick: and probably won't be competitive this season, these games always do numbers, ticket sales wise. People from come up to NYC to watch the Phillies play the Mets.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Some of you "so-called" Nas fans are just are confused & uninformed as those who hate on Nas. LOL @ Nas NOT being "Rick Ross big." Are you serious?...Nas is top 5 dead or alive, touring the globe to sold out concerts and considered hop hop FINEST Emcee with a 20 year career & still going strong. Bomani is a true clown...how can he or anyone else "low-key clown" Nas when he is getting major checks for his talent from ESPN/the Mets Organization. Bomani could only dream of doing an ESPN commercial...he better hope to continue getting guess spots on ESPN/radio shows. While Nas is getting paid to curate tours by LiveNation. I swear hip hop fans are to damn fickle & weigh too much on the side of haters.

What do you mean by "I guess you get what you can get & a gig is a gig?" Your statement sounds condescending, as if Nas is a bottom of the barrel & mediocre artist. Speculating about the stadium being empty already is suspect ...because if you are a true fan stop acting like the haters. Nas has been rocking with the Mets all his life...this is bigger than a packed stadium. Nas actually considers this an honor as a long time Mets fan/artist to be asked by the organization to perform at Citi Field.

:gladbron:

Oh shyt I got told off by Nas' Management team !:blessed:

"Look here baby really Saleh did this!" :ahh:

I'm saying though, I'm with Nas expanding his profile and I agree that he's doing big things on the touring and business side now, I just dont know if all the people going to a Mets gig will appreciate Nas cause it wont just be Hip Hop fans.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The article itself is actually almost comically bad when it comes to making its point regarding Nas "falling off"

"But in 2003, those calls began to dwindle, and I understood why: Just before Christmas of 2002, Nas issued God's Son. Himieh had begun to disregard Nas' new material as a bunch of street-poet rigmarole, lacking authentic New York street swing."

First off, you choose GOD'S SON as the example of Nas loosing his New York influenced sound and luster? The album that included muthafukking MADE YOU LOOK as the first single? The single that brought back to the forefront the Bom Bap era sound of early New York with the Apache sample?

Book Of Rhymes is street Poet Rigamarole? Get Down "lacks" authentic New York Swing? WTF??!!?!:why:

"In the end, Jay-Z won that war: Hip Hop Is Dead surrounded Nas with an A-list of rap celebrities, including will.i.am, The Game and Snoop Dogg. He felt comfortable as one of them, not something better. This wasn't the brainy, brawny emcee that Himieh and I had worshiped."

Carry On Tradition, Still Dreaming, Let There Be Light, and Hope weren't lyrically exceptional and " brawny" enough joints? Where Are They Now wasn't the type of James Brown sampling, ode to Hip Hop's forefathers, New York inspired, Boom Bap flavored joint that apparently the author has been wishing for? Who Killed It wasn't conceptually "Brainy" enough? How exactly is working with a fellow legend like Snoop Dogg (and getting him to actually spit some fire) not showcasing that he's something "better"? Since when was getting beats from Will I Am (who gave him some of the albums best production) a bad thing? What exactly is the point of bringing up Jay-Z and how did Jay-Z "win" the war when he stated clearly that one could never SIGN Nas, that he had to PARTNER with him? WHAT EXACTLY are you saying here?:why:

"Last year's Life Is Good teased with the brilliant flashes of the emcee Himieh and I used to worship, especially on "Locomotive" and "Nasty."

The MC you "USED" to worship was a 21 year old kid from the projects who had a cloud so dark over his head from his hopeless upbringing that he couldn't even grasp the concept of tomorrow. The MC we all here now is a 40 year old father, ex-husband, and music veteran who has traveled the world, sold 20 million records worldwide, and has experienced a lifetime of pain, anger, love, hope, and joy. Wake up to TODAY you trapped in the 90's nikka:wtb:

"But it was too little too late, or so I reckoned as Nas simply sat in his chair while Drake climbed the stage to accept the Grammy for Best Rap Album for Take Care. Nas lost in three other categories, too. There was a time when the hip-hop world seemed to be his, but this was the 13th time he'd been nominated for a Grammy and not walked away with a gold trophy. It could have been different. For a time, it was."

What exactly was Nas supposed to do? Rush the stage and beat the living shyt out of Drake for winning? Nas is a grown ass man, a Grammy doesn't mean shyt for his legacy. I wrote an article myself of the Grammy's history of disrespect for Hip Hop as a genre, if anything, Nas being snubbed 13 times for a Grammy is an inditement of the Grammy's failure to recognize Hip Hop for the creative and progressive genre it is rather a failure of Nas as an artist.

Coli News Nas, Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Hip-Hop snubs at the Grammys

Original article

Life and Nas were good | Music Essay | Indy Week

Life is Good

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas will take center stage at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. The center, a memorial to President John F. Kennedy, announced Tuesday that its 2013-2014 season would include the weeklong festival "One Mic: Hip-Hop Culture Worldwide." The 2014 Hip Hop Festival will show case Nas performing his classic "Illmatic" with musicians from the National Symphony Orchestra. This will also mark the 20th anniversary of Nas' debut album "Illmatic."
Kennedy Center to host hip-hop festival in 2014 - WTOP Mobile

Nas's ILLMATIC / Steven Reineke, conductor

"The Kennedy Center & NSO Pops venture into the realm of hip-hop with famed rapper and actor Nas, who marks the 20th anniversary of his debut album Illmatic and launches the Kennedy Center's weeklong celebration One Mic:*Hip-Hop Culture Worldwide."
2013-2014 Season Announcement - The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They're letting the "the rebel to America" perform at the Kennedy Center :krs:

Surreal

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My 1st post on the Coli