If I, ever make a record, I take a cheque
And put something away for a rainy day to make my exit
But look at me now, ten years deep
Since the project bench with crack in my sock, asleep
I never asked to be top of rap's elite
Just a ghetto child tryna learn the crafts of the streets
But look at me now

Needs to be added into his show setlist :wow:

Classic. Am I the only one who also fukked wit Large Professors own version?

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Forgive me if this has been touched on already.

Rant and old shyt forthcoming.

I have been revisiting I Am and Nastradamus lately. I have always felt Nastradamus is underrated and actually has caused people to sleep on I Am. But in listening to them now I cant help but to wonder different is history if they release You Wont See Me and literally any song other than Nastradamus. You Wont See Me is a sure club banger in 99. And I believe most if not all the grief Nastradamus comes from the lead single. I really feel like Jays whole "you fell off/1 hot album" and the bad beat selection thing all come that song :pachaha: Yall let me know if I am trippin. And I am convinced that was a label thing because that song does not fit the rest of the album at all. So if you come with say Life We Chose, God Love Us, or Come Get Me along with You Owe Me and Project Windows I dont think Nastradamus gets the heat it gets.

Prolific_1011

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami-Wade County

I have been revisiting I Am and Nastradamus lately. I have always felt Nastradamus is underrated and actually has caused people to sleep on I Am. But in listening to them now I cant help but to wonder different is history if they release You Wont See Me and literally any song other than Nastradamus. You Wont See Me is a sure club banger in 99. And I believe most if not all the grief Nastradamus comes from the lead single. I really feel like Jays whole "you fell off/1 hot album" and the bad beat selection thing all come that song :pachaha: Yall let me know if I am trippin. And I am convinced that was a label thing because that song does not fit the rest of the album at all. So if you come with say Life We Chose, God Love Us, or Come Get Me along with You Owe Me and Project Windows I dont think Nastradamus gets the heat it gets.

Yeah, it was a missed opportunity. Not sure if true, but I've read that Aaliyah didn't want to shoot the video after the blasphemous Hate Me Now video and controversy.

Last edited:

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain

nah, the main critique about nas in the late 90's was more about the sellout thing and trying to do commercial but with less natural ease than biggie or jay. T
he beat selection thing came after the street disciple/hhid/untitled era where nas didn't really knew what his sound was

skillz2

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Never heard that before
There was some rumours floating around at the time, or maybe some years after - might not have actually been Aaliyah herself perhaps her label? You Wont See Me Tonight was such an obvious single - makes me think there may have been some truth in it.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
There was some rumours floating around at the time, or maybe some years after - might not have actually been Aaliyah herself perhaps her label? You Wont See Me Tonight was such an obvious single - makes me think there may have been some truth in it.

What I heard was that You Won’t See WAS slated as the next single but Nas and the label pivoted so they could promote Nastradamus.

I think that makes much more sense personally. Two singles/videos per album.

Hate Me Now was controversial but it was hugely successful. The video itself wasn’t banned, I saw it 24/7 on MTV back in the day. Its honestly probably Nas’s most successful Video next to I Can and One Mic, I don’t think Aaliyah’s label would stop her from appearing in a video for an entirely different song.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps

Nastradamus the song was cool outside the weak chorus. Beat was dope, same sample used on EPMD classic Let The Funk Flow.

Nastradamus the album the energy was off. Obvious Nas was not inspired at all on most of it. Somebody on his team or at the label needed to hit the :whoa: or push to change the track list. He had a great album worth of material that ended up scattered across Nastradamus, QB Finest and Lost Tapes they could have dropped in November 1999. But they panicked over the leaks.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, it was a missed opportunity. Not sure if true, but I've read that Aaliyah didn't want to shoot the video after the blasmpehous Hate Me Now video and controversy.

She was at the album release party for I Am... which was after that video shoot. I doubt that was the reason. I do think label politics were involved, but I just saw it as budgeting. The song charted, Nas performed it on Soul Train (still looking for that episode because he also did "Nas Is Like"), Nas also wanted "You Won't See Me Tonight" to follow "Nas Is Like", but of course "Hate Me Now" was next.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Aaliyah was with Dame by then right? I'll push the theory that he and Jay talked her out of doing the video after Nas threw that shot at Jay on We Will Survive :yeshrug: