Official Nas Thread

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Just finished the first 6 episodes of the Get Down.

There are SEVERAL things to enjoy about this show. Not the least of which is the soundtrack and the lyrics written by Nas. I must say Nas is really a genius with crafting his lyrics around the emergence of Hip Hop but still keeping to the theme that the main character , Ezekiel, is the gifted ome who will push lyricism forward. It is EXTREMELY well done. The two main characters and their interlocking journey are acted and meshed very well. The pilot episode was a little uneven but as the series goes on and the actors are allowed to breathe life into their characters you really get a sense for how Hip Hop, and music at large, served as both inspiration and escape for a generation abandoned by their surroundings.

The only aspect I did NOT like was

Jaden Smith's character being a homosexual. Yes I know the homosexual music scene had a HUGE hand in the disco movement, which gave way to Hip Hop, but I've had a major problem for a long time with casts of majority Black/minority's ensembles making one of the males either gay or a thug. It's like a prerequisite nowadays.

However the show is very entertaining, the cinematography is beautiful. The music and lyrics as stated earlier, were fantastic.

Last edited:

blazn101

TPC life..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
Stream The Original Soundtrack For Netflix's "The Get Down"

proxy.jpg

:ahh: Check out the soundtrack..

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Life is Good,

Hey! How aware is Nas of his unreleased catalog? He has 20 years worth of recordings. I am certain that he is fully aware of recent def Jam era recordings that didn't fit on the last few albums and the very recent stuff but what of the older Sony era stuff? This is not a stupid question because many top artist have assistants of archivist who, independent of the record company, will keep up with recordings and stuff like that. I ask because Nas once mentioned wanting to do a box set and he would be the first rapper to do a real big time box set. along with his undeniable string of hip hop classics should be some of those unreleased recordings. I know we will get a Lost Tapes 2 here soon and a 3 and 4 too, probably but Nas is dopest when he is doing shyt that no other rappers have done and i think that would be a tight project.

Better jump on that before Jay z or Kanye crazy ass.

Daps
Reppin
London
Don't agree. IWW sounds way more gloomy as an album than RD and I don't even see how any objective listener can dispute that. The Message ain't shiny. I Gave U Power ain't shiny. I don't know which Watch Dem nikkas u was listening to but that shyt always sounded extremely laid back. Not shiny or glossy. Take It In Blood. Def not. Nas Is Coming is ehhh. I guess u can say the Dre production is glossy. I guess I can give u Affirmative Action as well. Then u got Shootouts. Live nikka Rap. Suspect. Silent Murder. Which all sound grimey. Black Girl Lost and If I Ruled The World sound softer. But that shyt is a classic hip hop sample.

So the "commercial" sounding tracks are "Street Dreams". "Nas Is Coming". "Affirmative Action". "Black Girl Lost" and "If I Ruled The World".

That's 5 tracks out of a whole album. And "Nas Is Coming" and "Affirmative Action" aren't bright sounding. Them shyt's still sound street. The album had a cleaner sound than Illmatic. But to sit here and tell me that Ready To Die which had tracks like Juicy, Big Poppa , and him releasing One More Chance remix as a single was less commercial than IWW?. That's a lie. Those songs alone were way more commercial sounding and that shyt came out the same year Nas had Illmatic. Didn't get hated on. And won all the awards over Nas from the same magazine that give him 5 mics. Over him. Reasonable Doubt overall sounds brighter than IWW. The samples were brighter. Not saying it sounds commercial. But it sounds clean and it has brighter samples. Doe or Die wasnt no darker of an album either. nikkas heard the words "Trackmasters" and "Dr Dre" and jumped out the window on that nikka for no reason. While giving everyone else around him a damn free pass. Especially if we get into the subject matter part of the album. He was one of the people that set the trend and he been droppin Esco verses ever since atleast early 95 and people acted like he just popped outta nowhere on em. It was just all around stupid bytchin and complaining from people who wanted Nas all to themselves. Yet bootlegged his shyt. And didnt support him wit they wallets.
Real talk

Ball

All Star
Daps
As mentioned by @Life is Good here is the Anthony Saleh interview on Rap Radar: Rap Radar Podcast

His part starts at 36:00 minute mark. Starts talking about Nas at 40:00.

- Nas having fun with being able to shake up the game anytime he wants to
- Kyambo "Hip Hop 1978" Joshua is A&Ring it
- Ant was nervous when they decided to do the Nas Album Done song on Khaled's album because he wasn't sure if it would actually be done
- Nas' album will probably have about 12-13 songs
- He's completed about 10-11 songs so far
- Nas' mention about Bevel on the Khaled song really is making Bevel pop right now

thekidfromqueens

the best borough
Daps
Reppin
Southside, Queens
Nas was lit tonight. Funk Flex played a terrible set. the DJ before him was really good. Dave East came out and did his joint too. First thing Nas did was big up his show on Netflix. I don't know how it's possible, but he actually looks younger in person than he does in the pictures. He never ages.

Set was
Made You Look
Hate Me Now
NY State of Mind
The World is Yours
If I Ruled the World

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
As mentioned by @Life is Good here is the Anthony Saleh interview on Rap Radar: Rap Radar Podcast

His part starts at 36:00 minute mark. Starts talking about Nas at 40:00.

- Nas having fun with being able to shake up the game anytime he wants to
- Kyambo "Hip Hop 1978" Joshua is A&Ring it
- Ant was nervous when they decided to do the Nas Album Done song on Khaled's album because he wasn't sure if it would actually be done
- Nas' album will probably have about 12-13 songs
- He's completed about 10-11 songs so far

- Nas' mention about Bevel on the Khaled song really is making Bevel pop right now

So my nikka ain't actually done with the album

svpul1gpzZaSs.gif

Life is Good

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can you confirm whether you've heard a track from the album? If so, how dope was it?
I have not heard one syllable from his new album. As I said everything is hush/hush. No word on producers, features or subject matter. Got word about Hip Hop A&Ring through conversation and haven't yet listened to the podcast interview Anthony did Thurs.