[Official] MGSV: The Phantom Pain Thread: GOTY Edition.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I really could not get into 3, I think I felt like I had to dress up snake and crawl in the grass the whole time. I dunno I always felt like I had to play dress up or the sim's and I couldn't get into it like I dead with mgs1 and 2

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Impressions

Taking a desperately-needed pitstop for food after a 6-hour binge (I was hungry hours ago but I couldn't stop playing), so while I stuff my face with pasta before heading back in, here's my summary of the 3% I've sampled of The Phantom Pain so far:

- Story wise, it does and doesn't feel like a Kojima title, in all the right ways, and I say that as a fan. The mandatory, loquacious exposition has been trimmed significantly during both cutscenes and missions, and it's surprisingly light on plot up front. But read between the lines and you can still see the thinking of the man who gave us Metal Gear/Snatcher/Policenauts. Plenty of playful back-and-forth between a great storyteller and the player.

- Peace Walker is still fresh in my head after finishing it this week, and it's fair to say that TPP's structure and ability-building follows it closely. But the actual gameplay stuff is light years ahead, not only of Peace Walker, but anything in the MGS series. It's a game you already know very well, but expanded on *significantly*. For a series as old as Metal Gear, to see it as fresh and new as it's presented here is wonderful. And by god, it's fun.

- Fox engine means business. I'm playing on PS4 and I've done the cliche'd thing where I wiggle the stick around to see if I'm still controlling realtime graphics (
during the escape from the hospital
), because it looks that good.

- There is so. Much. To. Do. It's mind-boggling. And awesome. It's MASSIVE.

See you in Afghanistan.

Some initial quick impressions after completing the intro 2 main missions and 1 side op:

Intro is absolutely insane, one of the best I've played in gaming I was glued to the screen through the entire thing.

Controls are really nice much improved on GZ stuff like snapping to cover feels really smooth.

D-Horse controls great.

Having not played PW the fulton system is awesome, love watching things fly up into the air.

Troy Baker is great as Ocelot imo having read stuff about his accent I actually like it. Robin Atkin Downes is fantastic. BB hasn't really talked much so far but it's not a problem for me.

Mother Base is fukking amazing, I cannot wait to expand it and build an army. Just standing there watching Heli's fly in to the LZ is amazing.

Probably forgot a ton more that I've done but yeah it really is as good as you imagine it is. Gonna be my goty without a shadow of a doubt.

So after playing for a total of 15 hours I can confirm this is the best metal gear solid. Simple as that.

Last edited: