[Official] MGSV: The Phantom Pain Thread: GOTY Edition.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
NeoGAF
I think going in with the thinking that this is going to be some epic finale for the franchise, or is the swansong of the franchise, is going to lead to disappointment. It's not really that game. That was MGS4, for better or for worse. The story in this game isn't necessarily bad, and I'll certainly take it over the character assassination of Solid Snake present in MGS4 (one of the main reasons why I hate that particular game), but it's not like there's a whole lot here. The truth is, all of this extra content detailing the exact nature of Big Boss's journey is superfluous.

I feel MGS3 alone was good enough, and it would've been great to just have that. It's nice to leave things to the imagination sometimes, and I feel this whole journey is a testament to that. MGSV's story kind of feels unfinished if someone tries to take it as some kind of conclusion, because it's not. Not necessarily in the sense that there's a lot more to tell, but just that it's not a conclusion to the saga. And it's not necessarily a good way to bring things full circle since it doesn't really do that in some great way either.

Basically, it's a story in the life of Big Boss. That's about it. It really doesn't do anything thematically important for Big Boss's journey nor does it provide some greater understanding of his character that we didn't already have. So superfluous I feel is the best way to describe it. That doesn't mean it's bad, but in a game which is probably 2-3 times longer than the previous main entry, there really isn't that much there, and the crappy pacing kind of hinders it in that sense.

I think MGS5 is a game that gets a lot right, and a lot wrong. And how much you like it is going to depend on the type of design you like in games, and what made you a fan of the franchise. It really does kind of jump to the other end of the spectrum in comparison to MGS4.

With MGS4, I feel if there had been a better balance in the game design, it really could've been something special (even though I hated that story). With MGS5, I don't really think that way. I don't dislike it more than MGS4, but MGS4's disappointment for me was because it really could've become something far greater than what it was. Even if you were to rectify some of the issues I have with MGS5, I don't think it could become that, since you'd have to pretty much overhaul it. Then you basically have a different game.

Plus, I was kind of blindsided by the length of this game. I really didn't expect that. That's a backfire of a blackout I guess. Although I likely would've enjoyed it far more if the pacing wasn't the way it was. It does get very repetitive.

Still, though. Seven years for this. Kind of sucks really to feel this way.
This is the problem I've had with this game all along. Especially after I found out Kojima was removed from this series effective after this game. I just got the feeling that this wasn't the planned final game in the series and it was just another chapter in the life of Big Boss that adds little to nothing to the narrative of the entire series. Now with Kojima gone this is a series that will never have it's proper conclusion.

I still believe Metal Gear Solid 4 should have been the end or that if the series continued this should have ended it.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
With out havjng played the game, I'll just say I'm glad this game doesn't try to tie a neat bow around every thing. Mgs4 tried that and people shyt on it( and it's not unwarranted)

Well all know what happens eventually so,whether or not this game address that entirely is not the most important thing to me.

Also, From all the accounts I've read, the games story is not as in your face with exposition as the past entries. Telling more through action than dialogue. Also, alot of the more meaty details are in the tapes and codex apparently.

Lastly, alot of the people at the review event in LA did not get the true ending. There are other posts on gaf that insinuate that people at the event had the ending cut off and that only people who reviewed the retail copy got the true ending. Plus, it brings to question how much did they delve into the narrative outside of the main story, if you're playing a game at an event and have a deadline in a week.

Some have praised the ending, saying it's definitely a mind fukk and great social commentary.

I'm reading conflicting things in regard to the overall narrative and it's one of those things that I won't let myself get hyperbolic about until I beat the game my self.

-DMP-

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Case and point, check out the review conditions of the "review boot camp" konami held.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain review (in progress)

For fear of spoilers, Konami invited journalists to review the game at five-day 'boot camps' tied to strict NDAs (non-disclosure agreements). We played between 9am to 5pm, with no unsupervised play outside these hours. That's a maximum play time of 40 hours, assuming no stoppages for eating, drinking, stretching… or reality. So you're trying to complete a 35-50 hour game (or longer, depending on your play style and the nature of your 'completion'… I can't say more), that you've been anticipating for five years, in a realistic window of 30-35 hours. On one hand, you're finally immersed in one of the deepest, most experimental, open-worlds in history – overwhelmed by side-missions, upgrades and secrets – on the other, haunted by a tick-tock race to reach the 'end' without knowing when that is.

Konami's conundrum is clear. Sending out retail review copies would lead to ruinous spoilers, but the alternative is no pre-release reviews. Extended access under duress is better than none but, twinned to our NDA, makes this a 'review' of what I can't and won't say. So with some fairly major caveats laid bare – is MGS5 everything we were all hoping for?

Based on the UK boot camp, I know of only one reviewer (who was able to play for six days) who has seen enough of the game to deliver a meaningful perspective… and I can't even explain why for fear of spoilers. In my boot camp, reviewers were charging through missions wearing the chicken hat (which makes you invisible) almost completely ignoring Mother Base and all the side-ops in a race for the 'end'. Will it score high? I mean, duh, but I don't feel the boot camp was sufficient basis to offer my views on Kojima's intentions and MGS5's abiding legacy.

At times, the boot camp felt like being gifted a bottle of Macallan 1946 whiskey in a frat house and being told to chug, chug, chug.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: Microtransactions | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Many (if not all) of the reviews that are already online were written by journalists who were forced to play MGS V for eight hours every day, in regimented timeslots, while under instructions to share only the information that was deemed necessary by Konami higher-ups. Far from being a work experience course, this was a four-day review event, in which writers attempted to complete a sprawling open-world stealth game within a strict time limit.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hopefully I love this game, IGN reviews are dog shyt to me, so what reputable sites should look at for reviews

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I have a question... I only went through Ground Zero's once. Just beat the first mission, and didn't go through the others. I guess at this point, is it best to just wait and take it all in when The Phantom Pain drops?

Is there any incentive to go through other content in Ground Zero's with the retail game this close to dropping?

Daps
Reppin
Can't complain about any of the reviews so far.:mjcry:

I preordered the collectors edition from GameStop months ago for ps4... If these fukkboys can't have the game delivered to me on release day:francis:

tumblr_n1zdplYqzt1srudz4o1_250.gif

-DMP-

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I have a question... I only went through Ground Zero's once. Just beat the first mission, and didn't go through the others. I guess at this point, is it best to just wait and take it all in when The Phantom Pain drops?

Is there any incentive to go through other content in Ground Zero's with the retail game this close to dropping?

Im reading that the POWs that you rescue in some of the missions transfer over to your MB in TPP

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Im reading that the POWs that you rescue in some of the missions transfer over to your MB in TPP
:patrice:

Aight, so people who've done everything in Ground Zero's won't have to worry about doing it again in TPP basically.