[Official] MGSV: The Phantom Pain Thread: GOTY Edition.

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
HIDEO THINK WE ARE REAL LIFE GREY FOX

STOP fukkIN' WITH MY MENTAL:mjcry:

nikka GOT ME HERE DIGGIN THROUGH FILES TRYIN TO FIND THE HOLY GRAIL

THIS CANT BE IT :mjcry: I WAITED 5 YEARS FOR THIS:mjcry::mjcry::mjcry::mjcry:

I DONT EEN WANT QUIET NO MO:mjcry:

HIDEO THIS IS NOT WHAT THE BOSS WANTED:sadcam:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Just realized something about the ending

Venom smirks in 1984 after listening to Big Boss on the "Man Who Sold The World".

When he flips the tape over, it becomes 1995. :ohhh: This is supported by the Diamond Dogs symbol in the background changing to the Outer Heaven one. And in 1995, he sees himself as a demon in the mirror. He once thought it was great to be Big Boss. Eleven years later, he realizes the horror. Then he walks to face Solid Snake.

I'm so slow brehs

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

Venom smirks in 1984 after listening to Big Boss on the "Man Who Sold The World".

When he flips the tape over, it becomes 1995. :ohhh: This is supported by the Diamond Dogs symbol in the background changing to the Outer Heaven one. And in 1995, he sees himself as a demon in the mirror. He once thought it was great to be Big Boss. Eleven years later, he realizes the horror. Then he walks to face Solid Snake.

I'm so slow brehs
:ohhh:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Honestly I think in retrospect that twist ending may not have been the best way t end the game, but a dope way to bring the series full circle.

And sure, I want more Eli and Mantis and more game in general...but so much is already inferred. Even the whole Huey/Strangelove thing was insane.

the ONLY gripe I have is with Ocelot...dude is literally the ONLY constant in every game...went from Foe to double/triple agent, to foe again to basically a self brainwashed quad agent. :wow:

And in V he's just kinda...there...:manny: It sucks too cuz outside of Liquid, Ocelot is my favorite.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not like MGO is something new.

This is the 3rd MGS game with it... whoever play tested this version of MGO failed them though. Too much cheese seeped through to retail. Hard to take it serious at all after hours understanding how broken the shyt is on numerous levels.
Damn homie I played a few missions and figured it was wack sauce. That and the feedback you and others I respect when it comes to mp solidified the online portion isnt worth a damn

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Honestly I think in retrospect that twist ending may not have been the best way t end the game, but a dope way to bring the series full circle.

And sure, I want more Eli and Mantis and more game in general...but so much is already inferred. Even the whole Huey/Strangelove thing was insane.

the ONLY gripe I have is with Ocelot...dude is literally the ONLY constant in every game...went from Foe to double/triple agent, to foe again to basically a self brainwashed quad agent. :wow:

And in V he's just kinda...there...:manny: It sucks too cuz outside of Liquid, Ocelot is my favorite.

I was hoping Ocelot would have shown up somewhere and done atleast some revolver shid against the skulls... he's just a walking encyclopedia during the game. I think Troy Baker did a GREAT job with the voice acting... I blame the writers.

And perhaps if some of the tapes were actual cut scenes, we would have gotten more of that Ocelot vibe during the game.

Regarding the twist, re-watch the Big Boss epilogue in MGS4. It ties in really well IMO.

Also, Solid Snake's dialogue to Raiden at the end of MGS2 contrasts with what Big Boss says at the end of V.

SumBlackguyz

Cacs Gonna Cac
Daps
Reppin
Greensboro, NC

I'm so slow brehs

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven

I'm so slow brehs

makes perfect sense

in the second metal gear for nintendo, big boss says that snake killed his body double (in the og metal gear)

so we basically just got the story of how that body double came to be

only thing missing is big boss setting up outer heaven (during these events) and what he was doing during metal gear 1, since he wasn't there

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Hideo Kojima Possibly Explains Metal Gear Solid 5’s Ending: “There Is A Blank Space”, “Will Not Be Filled”
Because in that blank space, there is always a hero, says Kojima in MGS5’s official novel.

Posted By Rashid Sayed | On 31st, Oct. 2015 Under News | Follow This Author @GamingBoltTweet

image: http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-1024x576.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is a great game and perhaps offers the best gameplay in the series. But there were compromises done to achieve that. One of the things that makes a Metal Gear game Metal Gear is its story and although the story is there, it’s underwhelming and it kind of messes the timeline. The ending is abrupt and does not add any sort of character development to Venom Snake.

However it seems all of this was intentional from Kojima. The Japanese novelization of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain was recently released and Kojima gives a broader perspective about his intentions with Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. In a translation provided by aRedditor, Kojima spoke a bit about how this novel is unique and how the author Hitori Nojima did a great job of getting the story across given the open nature of The Phantom Pain.

He also explains the lack of cutscenes in the game by stating that even though they were a selling point of the games before, they served as an obstruction to freedom. Honestly, this kind of statement is a bit off given the man is a big fan of movies. Anyways, moving ahead…he further states that every series needs to come to an end. He gives an example of quote given by Dennis Lehane with the popular series Patrick Kenzie & Angela Gennaro who declared that at the peak of his popularity “No matter what kind of series it is, there is a time that it must end.”

However according to Kojima that is not parting as the influence of the story will always be there. “No matter how popular a series is, someday the end will come. However, that is by no means a parting. Even if you can’t touch it, you can feel the influence of that story. A story is a thing without shape. Assuming physically nothing is there, nothing to be lost. As long as stories and legends are desired, they will continue forever. The brilliance will never vanish. It’s in everyone’s heart. It is not always true that saying “goodbye to a hero” ignites a phantom pain. By saying “goodbye to a hero”, you can for eternity leave behind lost joy as a blank space.”

He then states an example of a punk band which you can read about it in the translation. He essentially states that there will “be a blank space” and “it won’t be filled”. He claims that within that blank space there is always a hero and “one can advance ahead.”

It’s interesting to note that in an article by Famitsu, Kojima actually hinted the twist to the author. The quote that was translated by a Redditor states the following: “In MGSV, we hand the story (the legend) over to the player. That’s how the player becomes the Big Boss in the MSX2 Metal Gear. You play the game as you will, raise up your Mother Base. That’s the way I want the player to create his own story, thinking of things like “war” and “peace” as Big Boss. Up until now, the Metal Gear Saga was told by creating video games, but I want each player to think and come up with their own story (legend) on their own.”

In short, this was always the plan to have the player play as a body double of Big Boss. I wonder why Kojima and Konami advertised the game as having a ultimate story?

My personal take on these statements by Kojima is that the man eventually got tired of the Metal Gear Solid series. Hence he left the ending at a blank state so that another developer can possibly pick up the remains and take the series ahead. It must be noted that Kojima had no interest in working on another Metal Gear game after Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty but he eventually came back again to direct 5 more games after all. I guess it must be tiring working on the same series for almost 30 years.

Despite’s Kojima’s thematic intentions with The Phantom Pain, several fans are still not happy with the story they got. Hopefully, the next Metal Gear game will have a nice balance of story and gameplay, something we haven’t received in a decade since Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eatrer.

Read more at Hideo Kojima Possibly Explains Metal Gear Solid 5’s Ending: “There Is A Blank Space”, “Will Not Be Filled” « GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog

fukk Kojima :pacspit:

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

makes perfect sense

in the second metal gear for nintendo, big boss says that snake killed his body double (in the og metal gear)

so we basically just got the story of how that body double came to be

only thing missing is big boss setting up outer heaven (during these events) and what he was doing during metal gear 1, since he wasn't there

In Metal Gear 1, Big Boss is Solid Snake's commanding officer in FOXHOUND and is giving him intel on the radio.

Then Snake is surprised to see Venom Snake in Outer Heaven while he was talking to Big Boss the whole time. Big Boss probably had Venom build Outer Heaven as a diversion for the true Outer Heaven i.e. Zanzibar Land.

From the MG Wiki:

In 1995, the U.S. learned of Metal Gear's development in Outer Heaven. Big Boss commissioned FOXHOUND to infiltrate the fortified nation and destroy the weapon before anyone else so he could buy Venom Snake time to finish the TX-55 Metal Gear.

Big Boss first sent in Gray Fox. When Fox was captured, Big Boss briefed Solid Snake, FOXHOUND's least experienced member (but most capable due to his genetic engineering) about the situation. He then sent him in a follow-up mission codenamed Operation Intrude N313 to rescue Fox and destroy Metal Gear, while also informing Venom Snake of the operation.

Later, Solid Snake showed skills beyond Big Boss' and Venom Snake's expectations, leading Big Boss to start feeding Solid Snake with false information and eventually telling him to abort the mission to prevent Solid Snake's success.

Snake succeeded in infiltrating Outer Heaven and destroying TX-55 Metal Gear.

Afterwards, Venom Snake confronted Solid Snake personally, calling himself Big Boss. After engaging the base's self-destruct countdown, Solid Snake and Big Boss' phantom fought one on one, and the latter was ultimately killed. In order to continue the belief that he had been killed in the Outer Heaven Uprising, the real Big Boss left FOXHOUND for good.

Last edited:

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
The level of detail in those Play Arts Kai Metal Gear Solid figures, damn

611IF1%2BZ8GL._SL1000_.jpg

71tJsGDw2KL._SL1000_.jpg

The price though, damn