Official Kyler Murray Black Excellence thread: Year 5; A New Hope

Will Kyler Murray represent the race proudly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
New
Cardinals rookie Kyler Murray has a chance to impact how people view short QBs for years to come
  • By Pete Prisco
  • Jun 12, 2019 at 9:02 am ET • 6 min read
TEMPE, Az. – The trend-breaker, trailblazer, whatever you want to call him, was sitting quietly at his locker Tuesday afternoon seemingly unfazed by the path he is now leading when it comes to playing the quarterback position.

Sure, we've seen short quarterbacks succeed in the NFL – even stars like Drew Brees and Russell Wilson – but none of them did so by entering the league with so many eyeballs on them.

That's why Kyler Murray, just a shade over 5-9, is different.

Brees was a second-round pick and Wilson came in the third. Murray went first to the Arizona Cardinals in this April's NFL Draft, which means he's clearly the guy trying to throw out all the preconceived notions about playing the position.

"I think me going No. 1 will have an impact on how people view short quarterbacks," Murray said following practice. "Obviously, I have to play well."

Murray came from nowhere to become the first pick in the draft, going from first-time starter in 2018 at Oklahoma to an overnight sensation and the player who can transform the Arizona franchise.

This is his team now. Clearly. If he's a star, they will be good for a long time. If not, heads will roll and those old stereotypes about playing quarterback as it relates to size will resurface.

That's quite a burden.

Yet Murray seems undaunted by it all, almost cocky just to be able to cast those doubts aside, not just for himself, but for the 5-10 quarterback out there in high school now who might think he needs to play another position.

I asked Murray if being short is an added chip on his shoulder. He said no, but I get the idea that it is and he's tired of talking about height.

"I don't think being short has to do with anything, but I feel like it's just a part of who I am," Murray said. "I am who I am."

He paused.

"I am not going to grow six inches," Murray said. "That's not why I play the game, to prove people wrong because I am short."

But it's different watching him throw – for a lot of reasons.

When he throws from the pocket, the ball comes out with an impressive release – Dan Marino-quick – and it gets on top of the receiver in hurry and accurately. That was evident at Tuesday's practice.

But at times as you watch him practice, it's hard to even see him through both lines in front of him. That's why the initial thought when he throws is a mortar firing a shot into the sky is this sure isn't your daddy's NFL anymore.

Call me old school since I prefer my quarterbacks taller and more apt to stand in the pocket, but the game is changing and Murray might be the guy who really turns the tables. I am starting to believe he can.

Early indications from the Cardinals are that he will be more than just fine. There have been some uneven days for Murray in the offseason, and Tuesday was just OK from the work I saw, but he seems to be winning over teammates and the staff.

"I have never played with a quarterback that explosive," veteran receiver Larry Fitzgeraldsaid.

"He wants to be a great player," Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said.

That's the word on Murray – he's already living it and learning it.

"He loves ball," Kingsbury said.

Those two are connected now for good in their NFL careers. Kingsbury's hiring was controversial to some because he didn't have a winning record (35-40) in college as the coach at Texas Tech and was fired after the 2018 season. Kingsbury also came with the reputation as a single playboy who wasn't the tried and true football coach – mainly because of one Internet picture that went viral.

But Kingsbury has impressed staffers with his work ethic for the Cardinals, casting aside the idea he might not be ready to be the coach. He is the first to arrive every day at the facility – often getting there at 4:30 in the morning and staying late into the night.

That's drive. Murray has it as well.

Kingsbury's spread offense – which nobody is calling the Air-Raid here like it was at Texas Tech – will play right into Murray's strengths, which is to spread it out and get the ball out or let him take off and make plays with his legs.

"He has the ultimate weapon in the exit button," Fitzgerald said last week. "Things break down and he can get going pretty quickly."

Maybe so, but eventually the NFL game gets back to the pocket. Running quarterbacks slow down and they have to be good standing in making reads and throws.

That's why seeing Murray make throws inside the pocket was a good thing to see Tuesday. What stood out from those throws was that release.

One word: Wow.

The ball gets out as quick as any passer not named Marino. Some of that could be because of his baseball background, but he also said some of it was the way his father, Kevin, a former college quarterback, taught him to throw it. When I first mentioned his release, before I could finish my question he cut me off.

"It's quick, huh," he said smirking confidently.

When I mentioned Marino, he understood what that meant.

"That's a big compliment," he said. "You have a long release and DBs are quick to the ball. Defenses are great in this league. The long release isn't helping you."

It's one thing to throw against teammates in practice without pads, but it's another to do it with pads against an opposition in the fall. That's why no matter how Murray looks during the offseason or in training camp, there is no way to really gauge his growth.

He is excited about being a rookie starter, almost getting the idea he relishes it by the way he talks.

"I think coming in and playing now is ideal," he said.

In practice Tuesday he forced a long ball into double coverage that was picked off by star corner Patrick Peterson. Those things will happen in practices when guys take chances.

"I like his attitude because he's going to take chances," Kingsbury said. "This is the time to do it. See what you can get away with. You want to go after Pat a couple times, that's usually the way to learn. He's aggressive in nature the way he thinks and attacks when he's on the football field."

That exact sentiment was something Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid mentioned to me last spring when talking about Patrick Mahomes. All Mahomes did was win NFL MVP in his first year as a starter for the Chiefs.

That's not to say Murray will be Mahomes in Year 1, but there are similarities in terms of arm strength and a quick release and Mahomes even played for Kingsbury in college.

In three years we will truly know if this trend-changing move will work. If it does, Kyler will be a name like LeBron and Kobe that doesn't need a last name anymore. If it doesn't, that 5-10 quarterback in high school might be thinking about a position change again.

That's the range of where this thing can go for Murray and the Cardinals.

"For me, it's just about wanting to be the best," Murray said. "None of that other stuff matters

@ChillSwitch @MooseMouthMthafuga

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Kyler is going to be great as long as he's protected. Rosen got destroyed last year. I don't know if Kyler's body can take the beating Rosen took. Kyler does have elite mobility, but they still need to protect him.
Having one of the best Oline coaches in the game can help tremendously. I also think K1 has a better pocket presence than Rosen. But I also think he will get happy feet because he'll have to learn to stay in the pocket and throw that deep pass knowing hes going to get hammered. Based on tape, Ive never seen him take a big hit in the pocket except against Alabama.

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
What they're saying about the first-round quarterbacks of 2019

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Justin Pugh heard the hype surrounding Kyler Murray leading into this year's NFL draft.

There was, he said, a lot of it.

So when the Arizona Cardinals took Murray first overall, Pugh, one of the Cardinals' starting guards, was given a front-row seat to Murray Mania. So how did Murray do? Through organized team activities and minicamp, Pugh thinks the rookie quarterback has fit the bill.

"Everything that I heard, he's lives up to,” Pugh said. "And I've heard a lot of good things, so it's been great so far.”

As the Cardinals enter their summer break before reuniting for training camp in late July, the early returns on Murray are in. He received high marks for his play on the field and his leadership and demeanor off of it.

Rating the offseasons for all 32 NFL teams
Teammates impressed by Kyler Murray
What they're saying about first-round QBs
Big Ben: Nice to return to 'normalcy'
Daniel Jones impresses, Eli still No. 1

And there was nary any criticism of him from his teammates of all ages.

"He's cool, calm, collected, smooth,” new guard J.R. Sweezy said. "Make a mistake, come back, correct it. He's on it, honestly.”

Sweezy knows a good quarterback when he sees one.

He blocked for Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson for five of his first six seasons. In just a few weeks, Sweezy already can see the similarities between the two. Both are short -- Murray is 5-foot-10 and Wilson is 5-foot-11 -- both have a baseball background and both entered the league with an ability to run as well as pass.

"I see hundreds of similarities,” Sweezy said. "I always say, we got to see this guy really play. I think he's going to be just fine. But just to even be compared to Russell Wilson is a huge compliment.

"He's going to back it up. I just love that he's getting compared to him already and everything. He's going to be great."

Murray grabbed the nation's attention last season when he passed for 4,361 yards with 42 touchdowns and just seven interceptions in his lone season as a starter at Oklahoma. It was good enough to earn the Sooners a playoff bid and Murray the Heisman Trophy. And it hasn't taken Murray long to turn heads at the pro level, either.

"First off, he's faster and quicker than I thought when we got on the field,” running back David Johnson said. "I think a lot of people underestimate how great he can throw. He throws a dart. Accurate dart.

"Even in quarterback drills, seeing him throw it at the net and seeing him hit it five in a row. I think a lot of people underestimate his throwing ability.”

Murray's development in Arizona began further along the curve than other rookie quarterbacks because of his familiarity with coach Kliff Kingsbury's offense.

Murray began running portions of the spread and Air Raid in eighth grade and ran it primarily at Oklahoma, so he was able to hit the ground running during OTAs in May. It took just weeks for Murray's teammates to understand how he operates, Kingsbury said.

"As soon as he came in, he looked just as good as he does now,” wide receiver Kevin White said. "I think now, he is more fluid where everyone's on the same page, I would say, but he's a special talent.”

After finally getting his chance to coach Murray, whom he began recruiting to Texas Tech as a sophomore in high school, Kingsbury likes Murray's attitude -- especially when things don't go Murray's way.

Story

Kingsbury's 7-year recruitment of Kyler

"He's going to take chances and this is the time to do it, see what you can get away with,” Kingsbury said. "If you want to go at [cornerback] Pat [Peterson] a couple of times, it's usually all it takes to learn.

"But no, he's aggressive in nature, the way he thinks and attacks when he's out on the football field, and I like that.”

Off the field, Murray already has caught the attention of some of the veterans with how he has handled himself. He has blended his skill on the field with his approach off the field, and it has earned him respect.

"He's shown nothing but great leadership and hard work and doing the right thing," Pugh said. "Once we get the pads on, we'll get a lot more of a feel for each other, and I'm looking forward to that."

Said outside linebacker Chandler Jones: "Kyler's confident, and he's not a cocky player. For him to be the first overall pick, he's a very confident player. He's composed. I can see him construct, I see him getting guys together in the huddle, and as a young guy, that's something that I admire about him.

"He's good at grabbing guys' attention. I'm not sure how tall he is, but I see his little helmet and I see a little helmet in the huddle. He's grabbing guys. I'm just, it's impressive. He's an impressive player. and I'm still sitting here watching him at practice getting a front-row seat to the No. 1 pick and the Heisman winner."

What they're saying about the first-round quarterbacks of 2019
play
Dan Orlovsky dissects Kyler Murray's skill set and explains why he has the capability to take the league by storm like Patrick Mahomes did last season. (1:48)

5:59 AM ET
  • ESPN.com
All three quarterbacks selected in the first round of the 2019 NFL draft in April -- Kyler Murray (No. 1 overall by the Arizona Cardinals), Daniel Jones (No. 6 by the New York Giants) and Dwayne Haskins (No. 15 by the Washington Redskins) -- have had a chance to show their stuff in offseason workouts. Each organization has watched its prized rookie take his first steps toward what everyone hopes will be a productive career.

With the start of training camp about five weeks away, here's a look at what coaches and peers are saying about each rookie QB.

Kyler Murray, Cardinals
David Johnson: "First off, he's faster and quicker than I thought when we got on the field. I think a lot of people underestimate how great he can throw. He throws a dart. Accurate dart. ... I think a lot of people underestimate his throwing ability."

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, as told to Darren Urban of the Cardinals' website: "The first thing that pops out to you, how intelligent he is. He knows the system better than we do. ... He has the ultimate weapon in the exit button he has. That'll be a dimension we haven't had here. I've never played with a quarterback that explosive when things break down."

Coach Kliff Kingsbury: "He's aggressive in nature, the way he thinks and attacks when he's out on the football field, and I like that."

Outside linebacker Chandler Jones: "Kyler's confident, and he's not a cocky player. For him to be the first overall pick, he's a very confident player. He's composed."

Guard Justin Pugh: "Everything that I heard, he lives up to. And I've heard a lot of good things, so it's been great so far."

Daniel Jones, Giants
Sarah Stier/USA TODAY Sports
Coach Pat Shurmur: "I think he has had a really, really productive offseason. He is on track with the goal to be ready to play Day 1. That is really what all the players need to be thinking. The quarterback stuff will be on the front burner for everyone. I get that. He is on track."

Anonymous offensive player: "Really big arm. Gotta lotta work to do tho!!!"

Tight end Evan Engram: "I think he has made a lot of progress. You can kind of see him getting more comfortable. You can see him responding to some of the mistakes that he may have made. Maybe have a bad throw and then come out and answer it with five good ones. You can definitely see that confidence starting to build, and his decision-making is becoming more accurate."

Receiver Sterling Shepard (on Jones' mobility): "Oh man, he pulled that thing and kicked the knees up, it was good (laughter). I knew we were going to get the defense on that, but yeah, he looked great running."

Receiver Golden Tate (on SiriusXM Radio): "Talentwise, the guy's got a super, super strong arm. He can move around a little bit."

Dwayne Haskins, Redskins
Tony Quinn/Icon Sportswire
Coach Jay Gruden: "You see the 'wow' plays and you're like, 'Jesus.' When he's on, there's nobody you'd rather have than Dwayne. Really. It's pretty. He stands tall; he has a cannon, and he can quicken up his release. He's got great touch. Strong, powerful arm; strong, powerful body. But sometimes when he's off, he's abnormally off. It's kind of weird."

Cornerback Josh Norman: "He's got some fire to him. He has no fear."

Gruden: "He can just see the whole field extremely well. For a young quarterback, a lot of times when there are rushers they have a tendency to look down. He has a natural ability to keep his eyes up, and down the field. It's like a video game where he can see and make all the throws. There's a lot to like about him, and there's a lot to clean up, as we would expect. But he's been impressive.”

Running back Adrian Peterson: "I like him. You can tell he's young and has a strong arm. He's very competitive and he's back there listening and learning as much as he can. Once he becomes more comfortable, he'll be able to play a lot faster than he is now."

Gruden: "The comfort level he has to continue to get. When he calls a play and knows exactly what we're trying to do, or when I start to call a formation, he knows what play is coming. That will come with time, lots and lots of time."

Compare the Kyler compliments to the Haskins and Jones compliments. Teammates say KM is the real deal while teammates say that the other qb's are cautiously optimistic for a lack of a better term. Just look at what Gruden said about Haskins. Very cautious. Same with Jones.

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Six takeaways from day one of Cards Camp 2019

#1. Kyler Murray made some jaw-dropping throws

Murray was the top story of the day, and there’s no other story that maybe matter so much. But it’s not even the fact of what Murray’s done in seizing the starting QB job as a rookie but HOW he’s doing it.

He’s showing off that he has all of these traits.

-Accuracy

-Velocity

-Touch

-Timing

-Rapid reading & quick decisions in his offense.

What a talent. It’s almost too much to ask for, as some have pointed out:

He didn’t come close to turning the ball over and seemed in total command of the offense like a true 10 year veteran. And, I mean, he has spent almost 8 years in this specific type of offense that Kliff Kingsbury runs but it’s still something to marvel at some of the sheer throws he’s making.

One such bullet when he saw a wide open Christian Kirk went so fast from Murray in the pocket to Kirk’s hands perfectly placed some 40 yards away it was like it was teleported. He’s got a heck of an arm but it’s where the ball ends up that’s most impressive. I do think he’s probably the most talented QB the Cardinals have ever had and that’s not an exaggeration.

It’ll be a story to follow, maybe the top story in the NFL this season should Murray explode offensively in the pros. He’s got legit superstar potential and you can’t say that about just any QB in the NFL.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been buried in work, so I haven't been able to keep up, but those early training camp impressions of KM got me
source.gif

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I've been buried in work, so I haven't been able to keep up, but those early training camp impressions of KM got me
source.gif

Can't wait for this season to start :banderas:
This twitter account should keep you fed

2nd play on the last vid he had Fitz wide open for a big gainer but went to Kirk and missed. Kirk probably would have been a TD if the throw was accurate. However, he's gonna learn to take the sure throw in the NFL.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
This twitter account should keep you fed

2nd play on the last vid he had Fitz wide open for a big gainer but went to Kirk and missed. Kirk probably would have been a TD if the throw was accurate. However, he's gonna learn to take the sure throw in the NFL.

KM look like money........
vYFqoU.gif