Official JOKER Thread (SPOILERS)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
no, TDK only worked because Nolan was going for an ultra-realistic approach on batman so the audience bought into it
and heath gave a once in a lifetime performance, his joker was still criminally insane

phoenix is a good actor but we cant expect him to do what heath did
not having chemical bleached skin in an origin movie is a pretty big deal, as well as making him nearly twice batmans age

logan was the third film from an xmen spinoff so not really a good example
Nolan did not go for an ultra-realistic approach, lol. Grounded perhaps, but there is still tons of Hollywood-ish plot nonsense in his movies. Joker intends to be even more grounded, and it certainly looks that way in every trailer.

Regardless, my point is that films continually move away from the source material all the time, some times with great results and some times with shyt results, pretty much like the regular filmmaking process. Hell, one of the most overlooked examples is James Bond. The amount of films that follow the books (the ones based on books at least) are fewer than the ones that don't, yet the quality is ultimately decided by the filmmakers, not the faithfulness to source material.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
No offense to anyone but if "Logan" is your yardstick for cinematic darkness....you might as well be watching Disney movies. All that shyt is the same to me.

The fact of the matter is the average person doesn't like a dark ass, depressing movie. shyt like "Irreversible", "Requiem For A Dream", "Martyrs", etc.

Me? I love that shyt.

If this is truly dark and fukked up....it might be my GOAT comic movie. And if people dislike it because it's dark and fukked up....that don't mean they wanted it to go the Disney route. Some people just don't vibe with shyt like that, which is fine.

Fred.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
not having chemical bleached skin in an origin movie is a pretty big deal, as well as making him nearly twice batmans age
But chemical bleached skin isn't Joker's origin. He doesn't have a set one. There was nothing to imply that Heath's Joker fell into a vat of chemicals.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
If this is truly dark and fukked up....it might be my GOAT comic movie. And if people dislike it because it's dark and fukked up....that don't mean they wanted it to go the Disney route. Some people just don't vibe with shyt like that, which is fine.

If someone only "vibes" with a couple genres and can't see how other genres would be appreciated, I have to question their intelligence. It's a sign of being a simpleton. :manny:

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
JOKER Director Todd Phillips Tells Fans Not To Worry, "It'll Get Reinvented Again" — GeekTyrant

Todd Phillips said:
“There are always going to be naysayers, but from what I gather about the momentum of the movie and the response to the teaser we put out, the majority of fans seem to be excited about going down a different road. But also, this will not be the last Joker movie ever made. It might be the last one Joaquin and I do, but someone else is going to come along and do another one, just like with Spider-Man. So if you don’t like this one, don’t worry — it’ll get reinvented again.”

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Nolan did not go for an ultra-realistic approach, lol. Grounded perhaps, but there is still tons of Hollywood-ish plot nonsense in his movies. Joker intends to be even more grounded, and it certainly looks that way in every trailer.

Regardless, my point is that films continually move away from the source material all the time, some times with great results and some times with shyt results, pretty much like the regular filmmaking process. Hell, one of the most overlooked examples is James Bond. The amount of films that follow the books (the ones based on books at least) are fewer than the ones that don't, yet the quality is ultimately decided by the filmmakers, not the faithfulness to source material.
I had the :dwillhuh: face when he said The Dark Knight was ultrarealistic lol.

We watched the same flick that starts with some crook pulling a gun on the D.A. from the witness stand before the D.A. punches him out to applause from the crowd?

Bruce Wayne renting out an entire Russian ballet team and taking them on a personal cruise just to create an "alibi"?

Joker busting himself out of prison with a bomb planted in a fat guy's belly?

The central dilemma of the film being 600 prisoners and 600 civilians simultaneously in huge ships that are going to blow up and they have each other's controls in their hands?

The D.A. getting half his face burned off and immediately turning into a super-criminal?

I think I could go on for days. I loved The Dark Knight and it still rates as my favorite comic book movie ever, but it was still comic booky as fukk.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I think some people here are confused about my comment. Being picked on and going crazy does not equate to being "dark and gritty". Actually, if you really want to do a dark and gritty Joker film, just make him plain ole' crazy with no real motivation or sympathy :demonic:. He can kill as many people as he want, but it's not because bullies picked on him and kicked him while he was down after he tried to work to help support his mom. LOL. :pachaha: The more sympathetic you paint the Joker, the less dark he actually becomes. Like I said, the trailer just seem super melodramatic (not gritty or dark) to me. They remind me of those ID and Lifetime channel movies, the ones where the poor kid who gets picked on just snaps and you're like "oh my god, no wonder, poor johnny didn't stand a chance with all of the abuse". I mean if that's what you call dark, hey, that's cool. I'm just super skeptical. But I like I said, I hope I'm proven wrong because I like Joaquin.

I disagree completely - in reality people who kill without motivation are those rare sociopaths. And they are usually born that way plus some environmental factors.

How is someone being born crazy any darker or grittier than someone who slowly turns crazy over time?